PDA

View Full Version : How to gain members on a site

0sm
December 5th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Well im a part of a website Cryptx.org and we have around 1,100 member but we are looking to expand and grow and we need ideas on how to do this...

I know alot of people here have very successfull websites and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for us on how we can do this.

Edit:
What is the site?

The site started out to be a Runescape Cheating base site ( Online game ) but has turned out to be more community based.
We offer a Free Private Server use and soon to be runescape Bot ( when I finish it )
We have Intellectual and General talk, where you discuss anything that comes to mind
We have Gaming section where you talk about Xbox 360 / Ps3 / PC games...
We have a growing Graphics forum that has alot of people showing off and creating images/banners/templates
Our programming section is now starting to grow with the add on I put of the Programming team which anyone can apply for, and be a part of the Cryptx Programming Team. Which has funds to do projects and the access to Programming Software that you might want/need.
Also we just added a Blog section which you can blog about your day/things that are going on

era86
December 5th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Pardon my ignorance... but what's the point of your site? Is it just an online forum? I'd say give people a reason to go there. Articles, news, blog, etc.

I'll be sure to join as soon as I figure out what it is for. :)

0sm
December 5th, 2009, 07:52 PM
updated/edited to explain

dragos240
December 5th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Yeah, by the party hat icons, I could tell it was RS related. I see some talk about private servers, those were fun. You can spread your site by putting it in your signature. You've already done that I see.

0sm
December 5th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Yeah, im trying to do what I can to make it grow, i really enjoy the website so Id love to see it grow

dragos240
December 5th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Yeah, im trying to do what I can to make it grow, i really enjoy the website so Id love to see it grow

I'll join. Is it like rune-server or sythe?

0sm
December 5th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Mixture, kinda like sythe but without the scammer count lol... we get maybe 1 scam report each month...

v8YKxgHe
December 5th, 2009, 08:04 PM
By starting a topic in the general talk forum of an incredibly active forum, asking on how to gain members whilst giving a link to the site in question. ;)

0sm
December 5th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Lol well that helpss toooo

But we also need ideas

dragos240
December 5th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I don't know..... maybe a few more community oriented sub-forums?

0sm
December 5th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Give meh some ideas on the sub forums please

Tipped OuT
December 5th, 2009, 08:13 PM
You have to advertise it any way you can. Let people know about it.

Make sure when you advertise on forums, and other websites, you're not breaking any rules. :)

dragos240
December 5th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Give meh some ideas on the sub forums please

Homework help, game discussion, serious talk (debates, etc), TV talk, Off topic.

Those types of things.

0sm
December 5th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Homework help, game discussion, serious talk (debates, etc), TV talk, Off topic.

Those types of things.

Homework help is a Sticky sense it wont active so we removed the subforum
Game discussion we have it =)
Serious talk we have, its subforum under general talk
Tv talk - ill look into getting it
Off Topic is general talk

0sm
December 5th, 2009, 09:14 PM
any ideas?

dragos240
December 5th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Iie, gomenasai 0sm.

0sm
December 6th, 2009, 12:48 AM
damn 1337 speak lol

dragos240
December 6th, 2009, 01:15 AM
damn 1337 speak lol

wwwwww. It's not leet, it's Japanese.

Tipped OuT
December 6th, 2009, 01:16 AM
wwwwww. It's not leet, it's Japanese.

And you're speaking Japanese to him... why??

0sm
December 6th, 2009, 01:40 AM
^^ this

Umm well

ello der ittle baby ( british )

dragos240
December 6th, 2009, 01:57 AM
And you're speaking Japanese to him... why??

For teh wwwws.

0sm
December 6th, 2009, 05:34 AM
lol ok but I still need ideas! lol

0sm
December 6th, 2009, 06:57 PM
ideas pleaseeee

ticopelp
December 6th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Focus on Runescape and try to come up with something unique that adds value for fans of the game.

An unfocused forum / chat board has almost nothing to offer the average user. There are hundreds of thousands of places to discuss "whatever comes to mind." Unfocused blogs aren't going to draw traffic either, unless the people blogging are working on something interesting. Blogging about your day is of interest to almost no one beyond one's immediate circle of friends. Everything that's irrelevant, throw out. It's noise.

Give people a reason to come to your site that they can't necessarily get at any number of other sites. Generate interesting content and try to get the word out about it. One viral video or popular meme with your name on it can draw thousands to your site. Most will leave, but a few will stay.

Promote where you can, but don't spam. If you go to a community and try to poach their users without meaningfully participating or demonstrating that you want to also be a part of their community in return, they will sense that you're just shilling, and will usually reject you. Work on trying to find people who share the interests and goals of the site, rather than "more users" -- more doesn't necessarily mean better, especially if you're not really selling anything.

Just my two cents.

0sm
December 6th, 2009, 10:22 PM
your two cents was amazing, thank you~! :)

0sm
December 7th, 2009, 04:51 AM
any others?