PDA

View Full Version : Request office 2010 for Linux (aka) annoy MS customer service :)

matthekc
December 5th, 2009, 07:32 PM
https://us1.office2010beta.microsoft.com/contactus.aspx?culture=en-US

I have decided to request a Linux version for Office 2010. It would be nice to have but more interestingly it looks like customer service has to reply... :twisted:

matthekc
December 5th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Thank you! Your email has been sent.
We will reply as soon as possible, usually within 24 hours.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your enquiry. A customer service representative will respond to you within 1 - 2 business days.

v8YKxgHe
December 5th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Yes, because annoying customer service is often the way to do things. Good plan, I likes. You win a fail award.

Techsnap
December 5th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Yep, what a good idea. A lot of Linux users criticise Windows and Microsoft enough so I'm sure they'll just look at this and laugh to be honest, something a long the lines of "If Linux and OpenSource is so great, why would they be requesting Microsoft Office 2010 for their platform". Think about it. It's not the intended place to ask for these things either so they'll probably be completely ignored.

Also I doubt these emails are going to be read by any high up decision makers.

pwnst*r
December 5th, 2009, 08:09 PM
way to show your maturity. *golf clap*

dragos240
December 5th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Looks fun! Let me see......

matthekc
December 5th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Okay maybe I need to find something more constructive to entertain myself with this morning criticism accepted.

soni1770
December 5th, 2009, 08:19 PM
i say go for it,:popcorn:

tom66
December 5th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Might as well laugh at the response.

phrostbyte
December 5th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I tired running Office 2010 on Wine, didn't get past the installation phase. :(

pwnst*r
December 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Might as well laugh at the response.

may as well since we're laughing at the thread.

sudoer541
December 5th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I would start sending emails to the following:

Apple for iTunes
Adobe for photoshop and premiere
EA for games

anyone wanna help? even if the apps does not benefit you, its still good to help those who want those apps. help? please?

Giant Speck
December 5th, 2009, 08:24 PM
While we're at it, let's send them chain letters and spam.

pwnst*r
December 5th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I would start sending emails to the following:

Apple for iTunes
Adobe for photoshop and premiere
EA for games

anyone wanna help? even if the apps does not benefit you, its still good to help those who want those apps. help? please?

nah. it's pointless.

go find something else to do with your time.

ceramicm
December 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM
For order and store related questions, use the form below to contact Digital River.

You are misusing this form. This form is for Digital River order and store related questions, NOT Microsoft product related questions. That's like sending Amazon MP3 an email saying you don't like Pink Floyd. :eek:

Sealbhach
December 5th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Do not want.

Kdar
December 5th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I use OpenOffice and love it (for several years now).

I never use that Microsoft junk, unless it is installed somewhere at University or at work. Find it funny to having to pay for it too, separately from Windows install.

And why do we need iTunes? We have better software for that in Linux. We need to spend more time supporting them(Linux apps), then sending out spam letters to different customer support.

Zoot7
December 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM

I have decided to request a Linux version for Office 2010. It would be nice to have but more interestingly it looks like customer service has to reply... :twisted:
I lol'd at the title.

Emailing them isn't going to do any good though.
However were Linux less fragmented and had a more substantial market share then I'd say you would indeed see a Linux version of Microsoft Office. MS Office for Mac is one case in point.

I use OpenOffice and love it (for several years now).
Ditto, OpenOffice is more than adequate for my report writing these days, I don't see any reason to shell out the cash for Microsoft Office.

NoaHall
December 5th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I don't want Microsoft office. Besides, their Mac ports suck, why would Linux ports be any better?

koleoptero
December 5th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I'm too addicted to openoffice to use ms office anymore unfortunately so I wouldn't bother doing something like this. Although onenote is good.

I wonder how come zankerh didn't reply here with a "I won't send an email to a company selling proprietary software". But again I bet he didn't click on the "proprietary" title of the thread.

matthekc
December 5th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Kind of anti-climatic apparently I need to ask elsewhere. They couldn't even tell me no.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting the Microsoft Office 2010 Beta Online Store.

We’re sorry; we are not able to assist with your pre-sales inquiry here
at the online store. Please contact Microsoft directly with your request
at:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com

Sincerely,
Gaylord N.
Microsoft Office 2010 Beta Online Store
Customer Service
office2010beta.en@trymicrosoftoffice.com
Email ID: 12860818

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Inquiry from Customer of Microsoft Office 14

First Name:
Last Name:

Contact/Phone:
Date/Time Sent: Dec 5 2009 10:25AM

Customer Receipt: CNL#N/A

Subject: Other
More Specifically: N/A
Additional Information: N/A

Message: Will there be a version of Office 2010 for Linux? Office is
a great product compared to competitors I would like to buy a copy but
it is not available for my preferred operating system.

Zoot7
December 5th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I don't want Microsoft office. Besides, their Mac ports suck, why would Linux ports be any better?
Do they? How so?
Just curious, never really got stuck into OSX.

Kind of anti-climatic apparently I need to ask elsewhere. They couldn't even tell me no.

An automated response, go on follow it up! :p

NoaHall
December 5th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Slow, buggy, and crashed all the time. I replaced my grandparents with OpenOffice as soon as I could - they love it.

murderslastcrow
December 5th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Well, I don't know where I read this, someone give me a reference if you know what I'm talking about. I heard that due to the whole stealing OOXML thing and implementing it in doc/docx, they were being required to implement ODF-type format support in MS Office 2010 in order to be able to sell it legally. And for compatibility in the EU's decision.

If this is the case, it should matter either way, and many people will likely switch to OpenOffice.org just to get the free way to open those files.

Either way, I feel the day will come sooner than later that Microsoft must depend more on product quality and features than restricted formats and excessive marketing strategies. (Best Buy comparison, anyone?)

The Toxic Mite
December 6th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Yes, because annoying customer service is often the way to do things. Good plan, I likes. You win a fail award.

I stopped reading the thread for a while after you said that.

:|

EDIT:-

pwnst*r's attitude hits me again. Really, I hate it when people make smart comments like that :|

EDIT 2:-

may as well since we're laughing at the thread.

And again...

EDIT 3:-

nah. it's pointless.

go find something else to do with your time.

Angry TTM is angry :mad:

pwnst*r
December 6th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Slow, buggy, and crashed all the time. I replaced my grandparents with OpenOffice as soon as I could - they love it.

never crashes and i use it daily. something's wrong with your system :)

NoaHall
December 6th, 2009, 01:46 AM
never crashes and i use it daily. something's wrong with your system :)

Nope there isn't, there's something wrong with the software ;)

koleoptero
December 6th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Nope there isn't, there's something wrong with the software ;)

It never crashed on me either. Although I didn't use it much. Only OneNote.

NoaHall
December 6th, 2009, 01:57 AM
It never crashed on me either. Although I didn't use it much. Only OneNote.

Hm, well, my grandparents where using huge files which they had open all day.

And I had huge files(20mb+) open for short times.

lethalfang
December 6th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Do they? How so?
Just curious, never really got stuck into OSX.

An automated response, go on follow it up! :p

MS Word in Mac has a bug that, if you have saved the same documents for ~150 times, you cannot save it anymore.
You must copy-and-paste it to another documents.

My friend ran into that problem a number of times.

CharlesA
December 6th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Stupid question, but why not use OpenOffice instead of MSOffice, if you are going to be using Linux?

Mr. Picklesworth
December 6th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Stupid question, but why not use OpenOffice instead of MSOffice, if you are going to be using Linux?

Because one is inferior to Microsoft's product while the other is far superior ;)

matthekc
December 6th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Because Office unlike the platform it is designed for is actually worth buying as it has unique features and mostly works as intended. I never wanted MS Office till I started going to college now I might even build a win7 box sooner or later pretty much just because of Office.

Dr. C
December 6th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Because Office unlike the platform it is designed for is actually worth buying as it has unique features and mostly works as intended. I never wanted MS Office till I started going to college now I might even build a win7 box sooner or later pretty much just because of Office.

But why not just run MS Office on Windows in Virtual Box or VMWare?

pwnst*r
December 6th, 2009, 04:50 AM

pwnst*r's attitude hits me again. Really, I hate it when people make smart comments like that :|

And again...

u mad?

Frak
December 6th, 2009, 08:31 AM

*golf clap*

I would say yes, except iWork is convoluted and confusing in the ways it does common things, such as bullet lists, and OpenOffice doesn't fare any better in stability. If you want a good office suite for Mac, you're going to use Microsoft Office. Better alternative? Use the Windows version of Office.

Exodist
December 6th, 2009, 08:34 AM

If it doesnt make them over a million bucks every qtr(3months) you can forget it..

User3k
December 6th, 2009, 08:59 AM
matthekc, I found this whole thing very humorous. Thanks for the laugh :p

Now I think I will contact MS and ask them when they will come out with a good OS, Microsoft Linux. ;)

Techsnap
December 6th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Now I think I will contact MS and ask them when they will come out with a good OS, Microsoft Linux.

They've already got a good OS. It's called Microsoft Windows, again you're wasting your time if you were to really contact them.

The Toxic Mite
December 6th, 2009, 01:32 PM
u mad?

<offtopic>

Yes, I am annoyed at the fact that you seem to think that you can post really snide comments and not expecting anyone to get offended. But as you can see here, you are wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_alec

</offtopic>

They've already got a good OS. It's called Microsoft Windows, again you're wasting your time if you were to really contact them.

User3k
December 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Zoooooommmmmm, lol.

Giant Speck
December 6th, 2009, 01:52 PM
<offtopic>

Yes, I am annoyed at the fact that you seem to think that you can post really snide comments and not expecting anyone to get offended. But as you can see here, you are wrong.

</offtopic>

I've never seen anyone be so indirect about calling someone else a smartass before.

Zoot7
December 6th, 2009, 02:00 PM
<offtopic>

</offtopic>
Put him on your ignore list then.
There are people here (not mentioning names) that are totally antagonistic towards and intolerant of others most of the time (it's true of any forum really), but thankfully they're in the minority. ;)

Because one is inferior to Microsoft's product while the other is far superior ;)
Haha, well put.

Elfy
December 6th, 2009, 02:03 PM

And again...

u mad?

<offtopic>

</offtopic>

I suggest that you ignore each other -

Seriously? You are both acting in a manner unbecoming our forums.

Thread closed.

Now here as well.

pwnst*r
December 6th, 2009, 03:08 PM
we can take it to PM ^_^

hit me up!

winjeel
December 6th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Despite some flaming that's going on between some, I'll post this message anyway. This is what I e-mailed MS:

Hi,
I'm currently using Microsoft Office 2000 on Ubuntu. I much prefer MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint over other existing applications. In my experience, MS Office is the fully professional program to use, and is perfectly suited for me, except that it is not directly available on linux. I would really be grateful if the upcoming release of Office was also available on linux.

Sincerely,

I am absolutely serious, and absolutely pragmatic. I will only use XP for LightRoom, otherwise, Ubuntu is my current flavour. I will not give up my Ubuntu as it's currently too good. But I will gladly give up Open Office. I have given Open Office a go, but it has frustrated me in too many little ways. MS Office works, it formats correctly, and delivers the end product exactly how I want it... except I need to go to the XP side to for clip art.

However, if Open Office v3 is a vast improvement over the old, then I'll stop sending polite requests to MS.

pwnst*r
December 6th, 2009, 03:25 PM
as mentioned before, virtualbox. (unless you responded to that)