PDA

View Full Version : Anybody in here use PC-BSD?

kevinwmiller
December 5th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Thinkin' of messin' around with it, wondered if anyone else has?

DeadSuperHero
December 5th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I have. It's a pretty nice system, not too different from a stock KDE installation though.

I'm personally holding out for KDE 4.4 on it.

kevinwmiller
December 6th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I can't get it to install.

I'm stuck with Netbook Remix, for now. lol.

Out of writeable discs.

I heard BSD was more stable, better for servers etc. PC-BSD seems like it could be the Ubuntu of the BSD world.

Was hoping to check it out.

Nerd King
December 6th, 2009, 04:05 PM
If you're out of writable disks use your usb stick. unetbootin is your friend.

Dark Aspect
December 6th, 2009, 04:18 PM
If you're out of writable disks use your usb stick. unetbootin is your friend.

+1

I have the PC-BSD download around to try out via virtualbox but I can't spend a alot of time with it this weekend. I have finals in college next week and five classes.......

But than again I don't think FreeBSD was that hard to set up in terms of a GUI and I would rather not use KDE anyway.

Nerd King
December 6th, 2009, 04:26 PM
+1

I have the PC-BSD download around to try out via virtualbox but I can't spend a alot of time with it this weekend. I have finals in college next week and five classes.......

But than again I don't think FreeBSD was that hard to set up in terms of a GUI and I would rather not use KDE anyway.
I've never really been a big fan of KDE but I'm starting to like the recent releases. I put a lovely custom desktop together recently with a big auto-hiding start button in the corner, no lower panel, gnome-do docky, corners on scale and expo equivalents, and notification etc on another auto-hidden panel top centre, nice and big. Almost netbook-esque in a way. It's a beautiful thing, with cool stuff on the desktop. Consider I'm normally a minimal desktop man and I'm building a super-light ultra-low-power system for a local school, so I can live without frills, but honestly, if you can have them, why not.