PDA

View Full Version : Built my first website tonight completely in Photoshop CS4!

HappinessNow
December 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM
for a Digital Imaging class

Unfortunately with the new security restriction at my University, after they were hacked...I won't be able to load it on the University website!

...I wonder if I could do the same in GIMP?

endBc
December 5th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I don't get it .. why you want to create the same thing twice ?

dragos240
December 5th, 2009, 02:17 PM

This

Kdar
December 5th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I am pretty sure you can.

pwnst*r
December 5th, 2009, 02:35 PM
link or it didn't happen.

HappinessNow
December 5th, 2009, 10:39 PM

Thiswho said anything about creating the same thing twice...I was just wondering if I could build websites using GIMP also.

dragos240
December 5th, 2009, 10:45 PM
who said anything about creating the same thing twice...I was just wondering if I could build websites using GIMP also.

You can make titles and images using gimp. And assemble the website using HTML, javascript, and CSS.

Sinc
December 5th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Technically yes, practically .. depends on you.

Aflack
December 5th, 2009, 11:36 PM
thats kind of a dumb question.. you can even use paint if you want to. or you can just copy random images from the net and use them too..

did you understand what you were doing the whole time you made the site?

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 5th, 2009, 11:50 PM

Unfortunately with the new security restriction at my University, after they were hacked...I won't be able to load it on the University website!

...I wonder if I could do the same in GIMP?Slicing images is NOT a good way to make a website.

1- It is bandwidth intensive.
2- It makes your entire page pretty static (hard to change).

It's not how serious websites are made. If you're into adobe products, try Dreamweaver. Then when you are comfortable with that, try using a text editor. Good times.

Congratulations on your first website :)

altonbr
December 6th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Slicing images is NOT a good way to make a website.

It's not how serious websites are made. If you're into adobe products, try Dreamweaver. Then when you are comfortable with that, try using a text editor. Good times.

Coming for a web developer, this is completely true. Use CSS/HTML as often as possible (this won't limit your use of images in your layout though), then add JavaScript/jQuery for added functionality (but remember people with screen readers won't be able to use this functionality) and then get into PHP/Python/Perl or Ruby if you want to make your website more dynamic.

I use 960.gs (CSS framework), jQuery (Javascript framework), some jQuery plugins and PHP for my websites.

Just launched http://brettalton.com in fact with that setup. Take a look.

Aflack
December 6th, 2009, 12:16 AM
wow wait is he saying the whole entire thing is from photoshop? i thought he meant like the buttons and background and stuff...

murderslastcrow
December 6th, 2009, 12:18 AM
You could use GIMP for slices and Kompozer to put them together kinda' like Dreamweaver. Or simply use HTML to put them all in their proper place.

You could even put it together in OpenOffice, but that sounds a bit crazy and unwieldly to me. Who knows?

HappinessNow
December 6th, 2009, 02:00 AM

Congratulations on your first website :)Not my first website, but the first one using Photoshop CS4 exclusively. It may not be the best way to build a website but it is the best way to complete the assignment given in a Digital Imaging class which is taught exclusively in Photoshop CS4 on Apple OS X computers.

EDIT: I realize the title of the thread is a bit confusing.

wow wait is he saying the whole entire thing is from photoshop? i thought he meant like the buttons and background and stuff...

right the whole entire website completely built in Photoshop CS4...keep in mind this class was not about building websites but exclusively about Photoshop CS4 and learning all you can do with it. Building a website was just one of many lessons/projects we had to complete.

toupeiro
December 6th, 2009, 02:23 AM
The last full website I wrote from scratch was done using Hotdog Pro 2.0... If it's object oriented, you're cheating. ;) (kidding)

Jekshadow
December 6th, 2009, 08:12 AM

I completely agree. I recommend using few images and making them small. Backgrounds should be tiled, and all graphics should be compressed PNGs. This is one of the reasons I hate Adobe Fireworks.

Exodist
December 6th, 2009, 08:21 AM

...I wonder if I could do the same in GIMP?

Ahh man I wanted to see it.. Post it on Angel Fire or something..
Then I can tell you if you can do it in GIMP or not..

EDIT:
BTW this was the last website I created for a friend that wanted one simple enough he could change on his own.
CNS Transmissions (http://www.cnstrans.com/)

Frak
December 6th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Have they taught you wireframing yet? If not, shame on them, you clearly aren't ready for creating mockups. :P

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 6th, 2009, 08:42 AM
As far as raster graphics go, I actually prefer using the Gimp for websites. For Vector I grudgingly admit that Illustrator is a pretty slick piece of software (still bloated and resource hungry though).