PDA

View Full Version : I like Gnome in SuSe and KDE in Kubuntu

inobe
December 5th, 2009, 11:56 AM
i get mixed opinions from others when i say that, it's merely a preference without bias..

pwnst*r
December 5th, 2009, 02:40 PM
that's awesome.

Kdar
December 5th, 2009, 03:08 PM
that's awesome.

+1

srt4play
December 5th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I sometimes like to use the slab menu in Ubuntu. Nothing major, just a small preference. Never really told anyone that before either.

SunnyRabbiera
December 5th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Actually I am thev opposite, KDE in Kubuntu sucks while its almost perfect in openSUSE.
I prefer Gnome in Ubuntu or Fedora too over openSUSE

koleoptero
December 5th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I prefer pasta well cooked, and I get mixed responses about that too.

isaacj87
December 5th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Actually I am thev opposite, KDE in Kubuntu sucks while its almost perfect in openSUSE.
I prefer Gnome in Ubuntu or Fedora too over openSUSE

Agreed.

ElSlunko
December 5th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Same as the "usual" opinion here. Kubuntu just giving me headaches this morning so going to install opensuse and see if it's less of a headache to get working than the first time around. W7 was causing problems with my NIC so I theoretically SHOULD be able to run updates after install this time ;P.

inobe
December 6th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Same as the "usual" opinion here. Kubuntu just giving me headaches this morning so going to install opensuse and see if it's less of a headache to get working than the first time around. W7 was causing problems with my NIC so I theoretically SHOULD be able to run updates after install this time ;P.

SuSe is a whole new ball game especially when things break, fare warning........

kubuntu is much more refined, i just haven't had any issues, opensuse with kde is a headache, for some reason gnome integrates well with yast.

if anyone understands yast i'm sure they would concur.

gnome/ ubuntu is great, it's just that one of these distributions has to have a kde desktop, the best of both worlds.

armageddon08
December 6th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Cool Story Bro. ;)

RiceMonster
December 6th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Cool Story Bro. ;)

/thread

Kingsley
December 6th, 2009, 06:18 PM
You should definitely give OpenSUSE a spin. I think it incorporates KDE the best out of all the distributions, though I've only ever run KDE4 on Kubuntu beforehand.

I've been running OpenSUSE 11.2 for about a month and haven't encountered a single issue. My only gripe was getting repos set up with zypper/YaST, but that's because I was so used to how YUM and APT do things.

So, give OpenSUSE a try and have a guide in front of you to help set up repos with extras that you may wanna install.