PDA

View Full Version : KDE 4.4 Beta 1 (Video)

Pasdar
December 5th, 2009, 10:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEuapaLJF8g

tuahaa
December 5th, 2009, 11:05 AM
looks good

Mmmbopdowedop
December 5th, 2009, 04:40 PM
It looks the same and has pretty much all the same features as the previous version in that video.

Really wasn't worth making a 7 minute video over, nothing special.

The snap was quite nice, but that's all, in my opinion.

Tipped OuT
December 5th, 2009, 04:45 PM
It looks the same and has pretty much all the same features as the previous version in that video.

So they took Windows 7's snap feature? Cool, always wanted it in Linux. It's very useful.

Kdar
December 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Why not make a video? Some features maybe existed before.. but they been implemented in another way (and I personally think in much better way). Plus maybe not everyone knew about them.

I was impressed with this video, KDE 4 really starting to look good! I like how you can drag image into Desktop to be used as Wallpapers (I am not sure if it had this feature before or not).

I also think new way of adding widgets is really nice and looks much cleaner.

Psumi
December 5th, 2009, 04:56 PM
So they took Windows 7's snap feature? Cool, always wanted it in Linux. It's very useful.

What does it do? Never even heard of it.

nerdy_kid
December 5th, 2009, 04:58 PM
i cant wait! looks awesome!

isaacj87
December 5th, 2009, 05:10 PM

If you take an unmaximized window and drag it towards the top, it will maximize and "snap"to the edges of the screen. But then when you want to undo that, simply grab the window and it will go back to the original size and dimensions.

isaacj87
December 5th, 2009, 05:11 PM

The video doesn't do KDE 4.4 beta 1 entirely all the justice it deserves. It more focuses on the superficial changes to the environment, which haven't even been fully fleshed out (to my understanding). 4.4 will have more under the hood features that aren't in 4.3.

Tipped OuT
December 5th, 2009, 05:16 PM

Example:

If you move your window to left of the screen, it will snap to left side.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/1296/snapmini.png (http://img515.imageshack.us/i/snapo.png/)

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/5097/beforesnapmini.png (http://img248.imageshack.us/i/beforesnap.png/)

RiceMonster
December 5th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Looks good. I like how you can set wallpapers via drag and drop now. Very useful, as I much prefer to set wallpapers from a file manager. Finally usb drivers automount as well now. You don't have to use that third party version of it anymore.

SunnyRabbiera
December 5th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Looks neat feature wise, but still concerned about stability.

isaacj87
December 5th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Looks neat feature wise, but still concerned about stability.

What's the concern? KDE SC 4.3 is pretty darn stable. Are you worried that the new features coming in 4.4 will cause regressions?

Pasdar
December 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I hope they spend a lot of time on polishing everything up on the DE. Which it says they will do in their 4.4 future plans.

Two specific things I hope they get fixed are:
1. Desktop composition disables upon reboot (sometimes)... it might also have to do with the ati drivers, not sure. So I manually enable it again: alt shift f12
everything else works great for me, so I hope they just:
2. polish, polish, polish, so: fix bugs, make it smoother, make it faster, etc, etc

Sahkolihaa
December 6th, 2009, 08:35 AM
What's the concern? KDE SC 4.3 is pretty darn stable.Are you sure about that? I've read that people keep seeing plasma crashing - it crashed right from a fresh install when I gave Kubuntu 9.10 a try.

Pasdar
December 6th, 2009, 09:23 AM
At least on my system its true that sometimes it crashes when you just have installed it. It might be a kubuntu thing though. Its strange and after the first few plasma crashes it doesn't happen anymore. Its a right after install thing.... :confused:

ElSlunko
December 6th, 2009, 09:48 AM
My plasmoids crashed after install, but not once after updates.

armageddon08
December 6th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I've never experienced a crash since 4.2.3 through 4.3.4. :)

Skripka
December 6th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Are you sure about that? I've read that people keep seeing plasma crashing - it crashed right from a fresh install when I gave Kubuntu 9.10 a try.

That would be either a packager or an Ubuntu thing. Having Kubuntu crash is kinda like having water that is wet.

isaacj87
December 6th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Are you sure about that? I've read that people keep seeing plasma crashing - it crashed right from a fresh install when I gave Kubuntu 9.10 a try.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. Unfortunately, I would blame the distro before I would blame KDE. Some distros don't implement KDE as well as others...

SunnyRabbiera
December 6th, 2009, 08:15 PM
At least on my system its true that sometimes it crashes when you just have installed it. It might be a kubuntu thing though.
No its present on openSUSE 11.2 as well

What's the concern? KDE SC 4.3 is pretty darn stable. Are you worried that the new features coming in 4.4 will cause regressions?

Well yes, as for me KDE 4.3 is less stable then 4.2.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. Unfortunately, I would blame the distro before I would blame KDE. Some distros don't implement KDE as well as others...

Actually the openSUSE implementation of KDE4 is fantastic, but I think there have been stability regressions in plasma.

isaacj87
December 6th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Actually the openSUSE implementation of KDE4 is fantastic, but I think there have been stability regressions in plasma.

I agree, which is why I switched over to OpenSUSE 11.2. I read somewhere that KDE devs made it a goal to squash 20000 bugs before 4.4. That'll definitely be helpful :)