PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Need something explained about RAID 0 and installing

ed-koala
December 5th, 2009, 09:00 AM
No problem per say, just something I'd like explained to me so I can learn.

I had serious troubles installing 9.10 onto my system as my 2 hard drives are configured in a RAID 0 array. The installer could "see" my two 500 gig drives as one big 1 TB drive, but my system wouldn't boot after installation no matter what I did. I finally had to install using the nodmraid option and keep my drives separate. Research here on the forums had some suggestions about turning off RAID in BIOS, but I looked through my BIOS, every screen, every option, and there is nothing there concerning RAID whatsoever, so that does not apply to me.

Now, please can someone explain to me - Why does the installer see the combined drive yet can't create a bootable installation on it? That seems to me a much too glaring oversight to sneak out into a final release of Ubuntu, so either I am doing something wrong (and I tried lots of options) or ... well, I have no idea what the hell is going on.

I saw something about a known issue about booting to a degraded array, but that doesn't seem applicable to my situation as both hard drives are fine. Or does that apply? And how?

It'd sure have been nice to have that one huge drive, but I can live with two smaller ones. I do however want to know WHY.