PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] gnome 3 and compiz-fusion

diaco
December 5th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I use gnome shell some days and I know this project will be a revolution for gnome. I've read somewhere that the gnome shell will replace compiz-fusion. Is there any hope that we will be able to use compiz (or compiz-like effects) when gnome 3 comes out?
Are they killing some nice things of gnome (desktop cube, window animations, wobbly windows, emerald, scale &...)?
I know that gnome shell has its own effects but they are not enough I think if they kill compiz, they will kill gnome too. what is your opinion?

detroit/zero
December 5th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I've been using the gnome-shell on & off for a few weeks now. I like it a lot. I think right now the worst part of it is the lack of any sort of configurability.

Most of the things compiz does are totally useless and do nothing to enhance productivity or work flow. The multiple-desktop thing is nice, and putting it on a cube is a nice enhancement that is a nice balance between functionality and practicality. However, things like wobbly windows, desktop cube aquariums, painting fire on the screen, etc, are an absolute waste of time and effort that could have been better spent working on something that matters.

Compiz is OK. Beryl was better. I, for one, will be glad to see compiz go the way of the dinosaurs.

diaco
December 6th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I've been using the gnome-shell on & off for a few weeks now. I like it a lot. I think right now the worst part of it is the lack of any sort of configurability.

Most of the things compiz does are totally useless and do nothing to enhance productivity or work flow. The multiple-desktop thing is nice, and putting it on a cube is a nice enhancement that is a nice balance between functionality and practicality. However, things like wobbly windows, desktop cube aquariums, painting fire on the screen, etc, are an absolute waste of time and effort that could have been better spent working on something that matters.

Compiz is OK. Beryl was better. I, for one, will be glad to see compiz go the way of the dinosaurs.

Of course I know compiz has some useless things like placing fire on the screen but it has many useful things too. on the other hand, I know there are many developers that take no care about eye-candy but how many new users will like gnome without compiz-fusion?
And one other thing: I think gnome shell gives nothing to gnome that worse throwing compiz-fusion aside. You can have all with gnome panel, + compiz-fusion + gnome-do + beagle. Am I wrong?

You can read this post and comments for more:
http://www.stefanoforenza.com/compiz-is-getting-rapidly-sick-of-gnome/

jucs
December 6th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I hate every single part of gnome shell and I certainly won't stop using compiz. Even if they integrated it into the shell (which they said wouldn't happen) I'd never use that crap.

I'm so upset about their efforts to ruin gnome...

vigalance
December 6th, 2009, 07:16 PM
i hate every single part of gnome shell and i certainly won't stop using compiz. Even if they integrated it into the shell (which they said wouldn't happen) i'd never use that crap.

+1

SmSpillaz
December 7th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I hate every single part of gnome shell and I certainly won't stop using compiz. Even if they integrated it into the shell (which they said wouldn't happen) I'd never use that crap.

The window manager has been integrated into the panel as part of the design. So you will not be able to run compiz and shell at the same time.

I have issues with that design decision since it seems lazy to me but I wont get in to that.

BTW, its 'compiz' not 'compiz-fusion' these days. We dropped the -fusion since this year.

akashiraffee
December 7th, 2009, 04:49 PM

I used to feel this way too, although I would extend it to the entire DE concept, which since you can run a plain window manager with no DE and still get multiple desktops, taskbars, and menus, gnome et al. always seemed like plain old bloatware.

However, I've switched back to gnome (after years away from it) to try ubuntu. I spend most of my day programming. I gotta admit -- while I have no use for setting the screen on fire, and the cube is severely overated -- that all the little window effects, such as wobble, fade, shadow, etc, do help to make it a more pleasant experience as they engagingly keep my attention during those little near subliminal moments. They also provide more meaningful visual clues vis, what happened/is happening.

I'd consider that an increase in productivity...when I can stop playing with the damn configuration :roll:

Gnome, on the other hand, does not really do much beyond what it's WM does, other than organizing some things and providing some point and click configuration. I don't really need that, or it is easy for me to do it another way. So I can see why gnome might want to do something before it just ends up as a platform for compiz. Which if push came to shove, I'd stay with compiz and ditch gnome.

saltmore
December 7th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I am sorry but wobbly windows is not a waste. It is the little eye candy help make it a fun OS. If they drop compiz and there is no replacement. Won't be doing the upgrade myself. Seems like a real step back.

jucs
December 7th, 2009, 10:17 PM
As I'm not going to run the shell, that should not be a problem for me - it'll be different for other people though.

Maybe the compiz guys could at leat maintain the old panel? Just to get patches for it if really needed...

jackdale
January 7th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Maybe the compiz guys could at least maintain the old panel? Just to get patches for it if really needed...

Unfortunately, the Compiz dudes don't get paid to do Compiz. They are students and IT professionals with other responsibilities. Keeping up with Compiz is time-consuming enough. However, I wonder if how "easy" it might be for Ubuntu (being the premier Desktop Linux Distro) to take Compiz under their wing and lend them a hand. Personally, I think the new Gnome Shell looks interesting, but nowhere near as functional as Compiz.

Suggestions:
1) Ubuntu maintains/develops the "old" panel for use in gnome 3. This might give the option of using Compiz + old(albeit revamped) gnome-panel instead of the new one... :D
2) Ubuntu (& users) vote with feet and don't make gnome 3 default on the 10.10 ;)

I mean, Linux is about choice. I can configure my OS and DE in almost any way I want. The current plans for gnome shell will make my desktop take a few steps backward in functionality, ease of reconfiguration (and that all-important wow-factor!)

airtonix
January 7th, 2010, 03:23 PM
This is the best part about compiz :
All those window management plugins are golden. love them.

But i also really love that i have compizconfig-settings-manager to configure them.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=142772&stc=1&d=1262874215

puntigamer
February 6th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I'm upgrading to 11.04 alfa, and wait to try out unity and gnome-shell. unity is ubuntu-like, but seens not to be too handy, and gnome-shell is too innovative. Anyway, I would be happy to find the GNOME-3 desktop as an alternative in 11.04!

qpa_z_wonsem
April 29th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Compiz is the only thing that made me choose linux.
Eye candies make system pleasant to use. No other OS has got so aesthetic window manager.

As for functionality and productivity there is many brilliant features like tab windows, expo, desktop zoom, or show all windows by moving mouse to the corner of the screen.
I think that Ubunutu might loose some users by removing Compiz completely.

P.S. forgot to mention shift switcher :-)

23dornot23d
April 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I like this discussion it gets you thinking about the benifits of the eye candy

a bit like twiddling a pencil or pen between your fingers when you are thinking .....

shaking a wobbly window to death ..... almost a stress relief item .....

I use Gnome-shell all the time now ..... and the fact that it is organized and it makes me
more more organized is great ...... but that wobbly window or cube effect ....
What is compiz is it like a matrix in the background making a temporary 3D world into your
screen ..... a bit like the 3D Blender world .....

Surely this needs to sit at the front with everything else running inside of it ......

I do not really grasp the concept of compiz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compositing_window_manager) ......
I see it working and love it but how could it be incorporated into the Gnome-shell .....
or even switched on and off when you want a bit of fun with your window environment.

If its possible to add compiz effects to Gnome shell would it make it better or worse ? :confused:

cintrongz
June 7th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I will leave Linux while the compiz effect doesn't work in ubuntu.
Fortunately, I got Unity and compiz work fine together on my ubuntu 11.04 ;)