PDA

View Full Version : linux ubuntu & you

trixman
December 5th, 2009, 12:55 AM
my first year is fast approaching with my new os of choice called "ubuntu"
was just wondering how everyone felt when they first tried there new os, and how much it has changed there daily computer lives.

i for one feel i actually use the computer more now than i did in the past, sometimes did not want to turn on the pc because of the long boot times.

just a thought

s3MA00RRNY
December 5th, 2009, 03:58 AM
A double-edged sword in some ways.

arcofire
December 5th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Ubuntu is magic. I have used it for nearly two and a half years exclusively and I love it. It transformed my computer use. Sometimes I think these days I take its speed and all the cool free software for granted but I would never go back to Windows.

I used to worry a lot about spyware and all that. And I was forever sorting problems my family had with Windows. Now they are all on Ubuntu I have no problems. There were just too many problems with Windows.

Sometimes I try to get KDE working as it looks cool but I end up with problems and Gnome fits my personality better anyway. But I do wish I could have a proper go with KDE. I think though that I could easily get KDE working but I just love Gnome. Maybe one day I'll have a proper go at KDE. Right now, everything works and it's just great. :D

BuffaloX
December 5th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Congratz.
I was amazed that Linux is actually so good.
In the beginning I was a bit annoyed by some of the differences compared to Windows. Especially the file system layout, and the fact I couldn't access my drives and partitions through device descriptors.
Later I learned that there are some pretty solid design decisions behind the files system layout, I still would like to be able to access storage devices more directly, but now understanding the reasoning behind the way it is, it's much easier to live with this difference.

One thought that occurred to me recently was that MS was not actually an OS company when they entered the OS business.
As far as I can tell no one at MS had any real idea of what made a good OS.
Bad design decisions resulted, and even to this day, Windows suffers from some of these basically bad designs.

mamamia88
December 5th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Congratz.
I was amazed that Linux is actually so good.
In the beginning I was a bit annoyed by some of the differences compared to Windows. Especially the file system layout, and the fact I couldn't access my drives and partitions through device descriptors.
Later I learned that there are some pretty solid design decisions behind the files system layout, I still would like to be able to access storage devices more directly, but now understanding the reasoning behind the way it is, it's much easier to live with this difference.

One thought that occurred to me recently was that MS was not actually an OS company when they entered the OS business.
As far as I can tell no one at MS had any real idea of what made a good OS.
Bad design decisions resulted, and even to this day, Windows suffers from some of these basically bad designs.
i was suprised as well didn't think something free could be good

ElSlunko
December 5th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Taught me a whole lot, also works a lot better now than before. Getting lots of things to work was a PITA 2 years ago but now just a couple of smaller things are PITA.

trixman
December 5th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Ubuntu is magic. I have used it for nearly two and a half years exclusively and I love it. It transformed my computer use. Sometimes I think these days I take its speed and all the cool free software for granted but I would never go back to Windows.

I used to worry a lot about spyware and all that. And I was forever sorting problems my family had with Windows. Now they are all on Ubuntu I have no problems. There were just too many problems with Windows.

Sometimes I try to get KDE working as it looks cool but I end up with problems and Gnome fits my personality better anyway. But I do wish I could have a proper go with KDE. I think though that I could easily get KDE working but I just love Gnome. Maybe one day I'll have a proper go at KDE. Right now, everything works and it's just great. :D

great post its neat to hear all these storys, and its way cool to see its all across the country and world. i feel the same way as you.

Rainstride
December 5th, 2009, 07:23 AM
my first year is fast approaching with my new os of choice called "ubuntu"
was just wondering how everyone felt when they first tried there new os, and how much it has changed there daily computer lives.

i for one feel i actually use the computer more now than i did in the past, sometimes did not want to turn on the pc because of the long boot times.

just a thought

best thing I ever did on my computer. I originally tried years back, think ubuntu was in the 6.04(i think) area at the time and wasn't developed enough at the time. then one day a few years later i remembered while reading about other OS's (was on xp at the time) and i suddenly remembered that I wanted to test ubuntu after another year or so, and it was about two years later. so i grabbed a live cd and checked where the development was (it was at 8.04 beta). and to me it was a match with xp. so i decided to sit down and weigh the pro's and con's of switching and find out if I can do the same stuff. and I found it was almost a 1:1 switch, the only thing that didn't work was my tv tuner card. by I didn't care enough to let it hold me back. so i did a full install. and I started reading anything i could find and got a UF account.

I went from a windows power user spending most of his time and effort on security (witch would never last no matter how perfect the setup). to an ubuntu average user who spends all his time enjoying the fruits of his labours, and testing cool stuff to try and make it better;). (just tested dockbarx yesterday, still needs work, cool though.)

SunnyRabbiera
December 5th, 2009, 09:16 AM
As a Linux user for 5 years now I have been back and fourth with Ubuntu.
Ubuntu was not my first linux distro, nor will it be my only one.
Linux has made me more confident about using computers, and more useful.

YosefKaro
December 5th, 2009, 10:02 AM
MS made quite a good software pirate out of me. My entire system was pirated, from the OS and up: Vista, pirated; Bit Defender, pirated; Nero, pirated; MS Office, pirated. Now I am exclusively on ubuntu and I feel much better about myself. I have everything that I need for free (as in free beer) and no need to pirate anything anymore. GNU/Linux and ubuntu in particular is awesome.

-Yos

peter d
December 6th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I have been using Ubuntu more or less exclusively for 2 1/2 years now.

When I first used it I was struck by how it included everything I needed. I also found lots of useful advice on the web - here and elsewhere. Things like getting my wireless card to work, playing various media codecs, DVDs etc.

Over the time I've been using it I've learned more about computers than I had in years of using Windows. (I've learnt more about Windows too in an odd sort of way.)

I've tried other distros but have never found a reason to use them full time (except for Debian on a rather old laptop - it's more reliable now than it was with Ubuntu).

I've never regretted it and imagine that I shall never change back.