PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu only allowing itself to occupy 12 GB of my HDD

fiorano94
December 4th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Total noob here. Installing 9.10 on my XP computer. It only allowed me to boot in Demo mode, so i started it up in demo mode and installed from there. When i get to the partitioning part, it will only allow me to let it take up 12 gigs, but it will let XP occupy 67.5. Everytime i move the bar, it stops at 12. Anyway i can let it take up more?

Thanks for the help,

Palmer

phillw
December 4th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Total noob here. Installing 9.10 on my XP computer. It only allowed me to boot in Demo mode, so i started it up in demo mode and installed from there. When i get to the partitioning part, it will only allow me to let it take up 12 gigs, but it will let XP occupy 67.5. Everytime i move the bar, it stops at 12. Anyway i can let it take up more?

Thanks for the help,

Palmer
Hi & welcome

It's possible you have a lot on your XP area - what does XP report as being free ? - And, while you're in XP - Defrag it.

Phill

fiorano94
December 4th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Hi & welcome

It's possible you have a lot on your XP area - what does XP report as being free ? - And, while you're in XP - Defrag it.

Phill

Should i cancel the install and go back to XP?

coffeecat
December 4th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Should i cancel the install and go back to XP?

Yes. The problem is in Windows. This is probably being caused by files sitting in a certain part of the C: partition. The partition can't be shrunk until the files are moved. Which is why phillw suggested defragging the C: drive. Try the Windows defragger, but you may have to use a third party one. The inbuilt Windows one isn't very good.

fiorano94
December 4th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the help! Luckily i had all the important stuff from XP backed up on my external...it gave me no other option other than to get rid of XP...oh well. I don't mind as i was going to get rid of XP eventually.

phillw
December 5th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Yikes !!! -- You can abort an installation, by the way !!

Never mind, bit late now - If you want any assistance getting any data (docs, music, etc) from your external drive, please post & I'll talk you through it.

Let me know how you did your backup if you want any help

Anyways - You'll enjoy Ubuntu. If you want to get some programmes for music, etc head over to Applications --> Ubuntu Software Center.

You'll need something extra for playing dvds etc and possibly some extra stuff for certain music files (like mp3s) - If you need any of those, please post a new thread and one of the many will pop along and help you :-)

Regards,

Phill.

fiorano94
December 5th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Yikes !!! -- You can abort an installation, by the way !!

Never mind, bit late now - If you want any assistance getting any data (docs, music, etc) from your external drive, please post & I'll talk you through it.

Let me know how you did your backup if you want any help

Anyways - You'll enjoy Ubuntu. If you want to get some programmes for music, etc head over to Applications --> Ubuntu Software Center.

You'll need something extra for playing dvds etc and possibly some extra stuff for certain music files (like mp3s) - If you need any of those, please post a new thread and one of the many will pop along and help you :-)

Regards,

Phill.

So far i'm loving it! I just need a linux compatible wireless adapter. Any suggestions?

phillw
December 5th, 2009, 01:38 AM
So far i'm loving it! I just need a linux compatible wireless adapter. Any suggestions?

I'd need to know the wireless adapter you have in your computer

As always ... there's a 'How-To' for that ;-)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

Phill.

fiorano94
December 5th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the link!

Basically i'm looking for a USB plug and connect adapter. I've got a Dynex EX-EBUSB adapter right now, but i haven't been able to find a driver for it.

phillw
December 5th, 2009, 01:53 AM
The Windows drivers are available from here http://www.dynexsupport.com/product/?pid=DX-EBUSB

There is something called ndiswrapper http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ndiswrapper/index.php?title=Main_Page

That can 'talk' between these drivers and ubuntu. Unfortunately - that's where my knowledge of the system runs out !!

If you post a thread with ndiswrapper in the title and mention your device & the fact you can get windows drivers for it - someone with knowledge of ndiswrapper will answer you.

Regards,

Phill.

phillw
December 5th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Oh, soz, I forgot .. the area for wireless stuff on the forum is over here, if you haven't already found it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=336

Regards,

Phill.

fiorano94
December 5th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the help!