PDA

View Full Version : Sweet! More snow!

Hwæt
December 4th, 2009, 09:20 PM
In 2004, it snowed and stuck for the first time in 40 years in Houston. Then, in 2008, it snowed again and stuck around even longer, and now, in 2009, it's snowing at the earliest time in Houston's history, and sticking! I'm personally enjoying the hell out of this.

Icehuck
December 4th, 2009, 09:24 PM
In 2004, it snowed and stuck for the first time in 100 years in Houston. Then, in 2008, it snowed again and stuck around even longer, and now, in 2009, it's snowing at the earliest time in Houston's history, and sticking! I'm personally enjoying the hell out of this.

Just hope it won't be around long enough for you to need to actually shovel it.

Greg
December 4th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Global warming is a lie!

Marvin666
December 4th, 2009, 09:27 PM
It hasn't even gone below 40 yet in southern ohio. I'm jealous...

The Toxic Mite
December 4th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Global warming is a lie!

Erm...

Global warming is NOT a lie ;)

-grubby
December 4th, 2009, 09:28 PM
If you guys want, you can bring trucks to my house and you can take allt he snow we have.

Maheriano
December 4th, 2009, 09:35 PM
We're in a major blizzard right now, the entire city is in a whiteout and the company I work for is letting us go at 2pm to avoid being stuck in traffic for hours at the end of the day.
Check out some of the traffic cameras for here: http://65.104.36.247/default.asp?display=cams&area=calgary&TextOnly=

sydbat
December 4th, 2009, 09:38 PM
We're in a major blizzard right now, the entire city is in a whiteout and the company I work for is letting us go at 2pm to avoid being stuck in traffic for hours at the end of the day.
Check out some of the traffic cameras for here: http://65.104.36.247/default.asp?display=cams&area=calgary&TextOnly=Too late...my wife was allowed to go home at noon and is still stuck in traffic...an hour and a half later. She figures she might be home at her regular time...around 5...

alphaniner
December 4th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Erm...

Correct. 'Lie' implies a simple statement or claim. I'd say 'hoax' would be more appropriate.

cariboo
December 4th, 2009, 09:45 PM
It started snowing here last night, and just stopped about half an hour ago. Total accumulation about 10cm.

sydbat
December 4th, 2009, 09:46 PM
It started snowing here last night, and just stopped about half an hour ago. Total accumulation about 10cm.We're expecting up to 20...but it looks like it might be that already and it's still coming down...and blowing...

juancarlospaco
December 4th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Post a Photo!,
here we got 26 Celsius degree

lisati
December 4th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Erm...

Neither is global cooling, but we don't hear so much about that!

I'd be surprised if we had a white Christmas here in the southern hemisphere summer.

The last (and only) time I remember it snowing in Porirua was something like 13 or 14 years ago, and it was a fairly light sprinkling.

cariboo
December 4th, 2009, 11:27 PM
We're expecting up to 20...but it looks like it might be that already and it's still coming down...and blowing...

The forecast here is for -22°C this weekend.

bsharp
December 4th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Yeah hoax, <snip>.

You're right. German physicists proved that "greenhouse gases" cannot exist without breaking the laws of physics. Here's the paper (http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0707/0707.1161v4.pdf).

winotree
December 5th, 2009, 12:00 AM
In 2004, it snowed and stuck for the first time in 100 years in Houston. Then, in 2008, it snowed again and stuck around even longer, and now, in 2009, it's snowing at the earliest time in Houston's history, and sticking! I'm personally enjoying the hell out of this.
It was such an over-hyped fizzle here in the Hill Country -- did see three or four flakes at noon so it wasn't a total loss! Hope you enjoy yours. :D

EDIT - incomplete sentence

slimjimmy23
December 5th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I live in central Texas and it snowed for about an hour here. I'm gonna be in Houston tomorrow to see my dad and I heard it's supposed to snow even more tomorrow.

BramWillemsen
December 5th, 2009, 12:04 AM
snow is nice :) we get plenty in north sweden

the8thstar
December 5th, 2009, 12:11 AM
My intuition is telling me that this thread is on the verge of inspection by the moderators.

GrandpaLeaman
December 5th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Correct. 'Lie' implies a simple statement or claim. I'd say 'hoax' would be more appropriate.

You talk as if it has never snowed in Houston before when the fact is it has snowed there 31 times since 1895 and snows there on average once every 4 years.

By the way, global warming doesn't mean it will never snow again. If the planet got that warm, we would no longer be alive.

Humans are not the "canary in the mine". You might want to look here to see what is happening to animals that DO qualify as our early warning system.

http://www.nwf.org/wildlifeandglobalwarming/effectsonwildlife.cfm

pricetech
December 5th, 2009, 12:20 AM
You're probably right, so I'll get my post in before that happens.

We're expecting flurries tonight, but I have a nagging suspicion we will get more and sooner than the NWS expects.

I'm heading home a little early myself.

cariboo
December 5th, 2009, 12:35 AM
I don't see any problems with this thread. :)

User3k
December 5th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Up here in NYS it is nice. More like fall tempratures to me then winter. The snow we get in my area doesn't stay and it isn't much, very little. However we are getting rain, but I don't have to shovel rain. Well I could shovel rain but I would look a bit foolish. Of course in my area no one really notices when you do insane stuff since everyone is pretty much insane ;) LOL.

I don't believe global warming or cooling is real. I think the earth is tilting slightly and has been for some time now. I also think the reason why sea levels may be rising is due more to normal conditions then anything else. But... All the crap we pump into the air can't and isn't good for this planet or us. So going green is a good idea.

Grifulkin
December 5th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I want snow.

Bigtime_Scrub
December 5th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Not a single snowflake in San Antonio and thats not too far from Houston. I knew it was too good to be true. Its still freaking cold for south Texas though, its a brisk 24 degrees F outside.

BDNiner
December 5th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Expecting the first snow of the season tomorrow here in Baltimore. But my experience tells me that it will be nothing more that freezing rain!

themusicalduck
December 5th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Damn.. no snow here in England yet.

Just rain.. lots and lots of rain.

chickengirl
December 5th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Someone I spoke to on the phone today seemed to think that your little 2-inches-of-snow qualified as a "huge snowstorm". As a Minnesotan, I was amused.

lisati
December 5th, 2009, 04:35 AM

+1. Nothing wrong with the discussion I've seen so far about enjoying the weather.

/me looks out the window to a blue sky.

mybodymyself
December 5th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Up here in NYS it is nice. More like fall tempratures to me then winter. The snow we get in my area doesn't stay and it isn't much, very little. However we are getting rain, but I don't have to shovel rain. Well I could shovel rain but I would look a bit foolish. Of course in my area no one really notices when you do insane stuff since everyone is pretty much insane ;) LOL.

I don't believe global warming or cooling is real. I think the earth is tilting slightly and has been for some time now. I also think the reason why sea levels may be rising is due more to normal conditions then anything else. But... All the crap we pump into the air can't and isn't good for this planet or us. So going green is a good idea.
2nd what user3k said here. Even though I live right next to NYC/NYS.

mamamia88
December 5th, 2009, 04:44 AM
hey if you want snow switch places with me i am in chicago and can't stand the crap

Hwæt
December 5th, 2009, 05:26 AM
You talk as if it has never snowed in Houston before when the fact is it has snowed there 31 times since 1895 and snows there on average once every 4 years.

That's not true at all. I've lived here for 16 years, and I've only seen snow 3 times in my life. Those times being 2004, 2008, and 2009. You can't just take (2009 - 1895)/31 to come up with an average of once every 4 years. It just doesn't work like that.

I live in central Texas and it snowed for about an hour here. I'm gonna be in Houston tomorrow to see my dad and I heard it's supposed to snow even more tomorrow.

I hope it does snow again :popcorn:

Yes
December 5th, 2009, 05:28 AM
It's supposed to snow here tomorrow. It's way earlier than normal.

I'm hoping for tons of snow this year. The past few years have been pitiful.

trixman
December 5th, 2009, 05:35 AM
In 2004, it snowed and stuck for the first time in 40 years in Houston. Then, in 2008, it snowed again and stuck around even longer, and now, in 2009, it's snowing at the earliest time in Houston's history, and sticking! I'm personally enjoying the hell out of this.

let it snow let it snow.

send some up to us in nyc

enjoy

Rainstride
December 5th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Global warming is a lie!
yep, you see about the leaked emails to?

Erm...

wrong, it is a lie. that has been proven by the hundreds of leaked emails and comments about messing with the numbers all in the last week give or take a few days, that show in plain English the "experts" discussing how to fake and change temps to support there lie. and them saying there is no proof of climate change or global warming what so ever. and on top of that temps are falling, and they say in the emails that they have no explanation why they are doing so. how haven't you heard about this yet?
its a lie and has been exposed as such and the emails and data have been verified to be 100% real. here is a telegraph.co.uk (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100017393/climategate-the-final-nail-in-the-coffin-of-anthropogenic-global-warming/) artical about it. it was one of the first ones I seen in google. tons of stuff comes up on it if you search for "climate gate" as it has been nicknamed.

My intuition is telling me that this thread is on the verge of inspection by the moderators.
hope not.

awesome.:D

I'm here in cedar creek,tx staying with family till I get back on my feet. and we didn't get anything that I know of :icon_frown: right now its 30 degrees fahrenheit (-1 celsius), but the sky is clear as can be. all we need is some rain and we would probably have a good snow.

bonfire89
December 5th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Gah, 22 years of living in Toronto Canada... and I'm getting sick of the snow. And we don't even get that much of it. Just cold.

Need to learn Greek, Italian, Spanish, French or something and move the Mediterranean and a get laptop screen that I can see in the sun for doing work related IT business on the beach. Though of course.. that work would only take up as much time as needed to put food on the table.

doorknob60
December 5th, 2009, 07:14 AM
We got snow here in Mid-October :P High temp on Monday is 20 degrees F. Central Oregon can get pretty cold, but not a whole lot of precipitation. Still get a fair amount of snow though. But snow in Houston? Man, that's weird :P

Giant Speck
December 5th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Funny, we almost broke the record latest first snowfall this year. The record was November 11. It snowed on November 9. It didn't snow at all for the entire month of October, which is not normal. In fact, temperatures were above average for the entire month of October and for the first week of November.

NightHawk877
December 5th, 2009, 07:56 AM
There was a little snow in San Antonio where I live, but not enough for a snow day like I hoped. I so wanted to nail my sisters with snowballs. Snow in San Antonio is very rare. The last time the city had snow was in 1985, five years before I was born.

Frak
December 5th, 2009, 08:03 AM
In Oklahoma, it usually drops to about 15F/-9C for around five or so hours, snows like crazy, then does this crazy fluctuation where it climbs up to around 50F/10C or so. Happens EVERY YEAR. It's not global warming either, since it's done this for decades. It's just how Oklahoma is.

Icehuck
December 5th, 2009, 08:15 AM
In Oklahoma, it usually drops to about 15F/-9C for around five or so hours, snows like crazy, then does this crazy fluctuation where it climbs up to around 50F/10C or so. Happens EVERY YEAR. It's not global warming either, since it's done this for decades. It's just how Oklahoma is.

Then the tornadoes come and the storm chaser caravans try to follow.

0sm
December 5th, 2009, 08:17 AM
^^ QFT lol

Personaly I hope it snows here ( north carolina )

Frak
December 5th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Then the tornadoes come and the storm chaser caravans try to follow.
Sadly, yes. We get about 2 or 3 storm chasers down our street every season.

jomiolto
December 5th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Grr, maybe you have our snow :mad: (just kidding of course :) ) But it is really odd not having any snow in December, when we usually have about 15-20 cm of snow by now.

Typically we get permanent snow (ie. it stays until the spring) in mid to late November, but in the last few years we haven't had snow until mid December. I don't believe I've ever seen a Christmas without snow, but in the recent years we've come close a couple of times -- if the winters continue getting warmer at this pace, we will probably see a snow-less Christmas soon :(

Mr. Picklesworth
December 5th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Neither is global cooling, but we don't hear so much about that!

The laws of thermodynamics and all make it fairly reasonable to assume that an enormous increase in temperature somewhere (say, the Artic) can result in a significant decrease in temperature elsewhere. "Global warming" does not mean "it's going to be like summer all year long for everyone."

Anyway, here in Vancouver it either rains or hails for the first few months, and when it does snow (usually at a bizarrely late time) lots of people whine and complain and drive like lunatics because they seem to think we live in the tropics and forget their lesson to the contrary every year :)

(WHY would somebody live in Canada and not have snow tires, or at least decent tires that work on ice without springing them into ditches?)

cariboo
December 5th, 2009, 07:59 PM
You don't need good tires if you have a four wheel drive. Just ask the people stuck in the ditch. :p:p:p

Giant Speck
December 5th, 2009, 09:00 PM
You don't need good tires if you have a four wheel drive. Just ask the people stuck in the ditch. :p:p:p

Pffffthahahahahaha

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 5th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Sadly there is no snow to see where I am, just rumors of some dude with a wooble board going on about six white boomers, which I also haven't seen, but that kinda makes me glad.

;)

Maheriano
December 7th, 2009, 04:31 AM
What a storm. My girlfriend came over Friday night and only just got home, the roads weren't plowed and there were cars abandoned on the road everywhere. There's still a Jeep and another car in a huge snowdrift outside my house. A snowdrift that used to be the road.

schauerlich
December 7th, 2009, 05:19 AM
It's supposed to snow here tomorrow. During the winter, it will get down in the mid 30's at night, occasionally dipping below freezing, but only just. I remember it snowing (slush, really, and it instantly melted) about 10 years ago. The forecast is saying there will be 1-3 inches of snow, which may not sound like much... but it's unheard of here. Everyone's excited.

pricetech
December 7th, 2009, 07:11 PM

Ain't it the truth. Sadly I know a lot of folks who that sentence reminds me of.

Wow, I need to find new acquaintances.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 7th, 2009, 09:09 PM
What a storm. My girlfriend came over Friday night and only just got home, the roads weren't plowed and there were cars abandoned on the road everywhere. There's still a Jeep and another car in a huge snowdrift outside my house. A snowdrift that used to be the road.

Keep safe!

It is raining here at the moment 18oC (65F), 07:07 hours and wonderful.

I fear the heat waves expected in January-February-March 2010, where weeks can be 30oC+ and days 40oC+.

cariboo
December 7th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Currently the temperature is -18°C warmed up from -25°C. Even the dog won't go out for more than 10 minutes at a time :)

mr-woof
December 7th, 2009, 10:22 PM
wow -18, in england if we get a bit cold (-5) and it snows a bit, the whole country grinds to a halt :)

cartisdm
December 7th, 2009, 10:26 PM
correct. 'lie' implies a simple statement or claim. I'd say 'hoax' would be more appropriate.

+1

Also, we just got 8'' of snow here in Harrisonburg!

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 7th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Currently the temperature is -18°C warmed up from -25°C. Even the dog won't go out for more than 10 minutes at a time :)

Smart dog! ;)

The Real Dave
December 7th, 2009, 11:05 PM
The only snow I'm gonna get is that on my Wordpress Blog :(

Digikid
December 7th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I love snow....and HATE the sun. To me Winter>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Summer

So winter....BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!

Hyper Tails
December 7th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I got 10 to 15 cm of snow yesterday

It's a winter wonderland!

^_^

lisati
December 7th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Sadly there is no snow to see where I am, just rumors of some dude with a wooble board going on about six white boomers, which I also haven't seen, but that kinda makes me glad.

;)

I also heard a rumour about the court of King Caractacus being in town but missed seeing them.

dragos240
December 7th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I got just a few inches a few nights ago. Not much, but we're hoping to get more.

Frak
December 7th, 2009, 11:47 PM
We may get freezing rain tonight...

Welcome to Oklahoma!

NoaHall
December 7th, 2009, 11:48 PM
It hailed here earlier.

Swagman
December 8th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I also heard a rumour about the court of King Caractacus being in town but missed seeing them.

Yeah the Fijian girl was somewhat disappointed too.

As for snow.... As a Trucker I say you can stick snow where the sun don't shine !!

fromthehill
December 8th, 2009, 11:44 AM
still 10C here
greenhouse-effect FTW 8-)

nubimax
December 8th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Balmy 65 f here with sunshine that is one of the reasons I am here.
Best to all M.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 8th, 2009, 08:55 PM
A very bright sunny coldish morning, 06:47 hours, 15.0oC and the birds are variously making their noises in the distance.

Hwæt
December 8th, 2009, 11:25 PM
still 10C here
greenhouse-effect FTW 8-)

You won't be saying that when it melts the polar ice caps, causes an influx of fresh water that disrupts the North Atlantic Current, and forces Europe to enter an Ice Age. ;)

By the way, you know that you live in the Lowlands, right? Can we say beach front property in Austria? :P

User3k
December 8th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Looks like we are finally going to get some snow that might stay up here.

Crap!!!!

Frak
December 8th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Looks like we are finally going to get some snow that might stay up here.

Crap!!!!
I can haz locashonz?

User3k
December 8th, 2009, 11:38 PM
i can haz locashonz?

nys

Frak
December 9th, 2009, 12:05 AM
nys
mmmmmmmkthx

cariboo
December 9th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Bring a truck, we have lots of snow, or will have lots by the end of February. :)

Current weather in the Cariboo -12°C and clear, but the sun went down about 3 hours ago, so it should get a bit colder. That's what I get for living on the north slope of a mountain.

User3k
December 9th, 2009, 02:07 AM
mmmmmmmkthx

Love your grammar by the way. Makes me feel smart ;) lol.

sledge73
December 9th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Wish you guys had kept the snow in Texas! Here in central Nebraska & points north were expecting 20-31cm by morning. My kids haven't been to school in 2 days. Very depressing.

Frak
December 9th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Love your grammar by the way. Makes me feel smart ;) lol.
Ur welcom

User3k
December 9th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Wish you guys had kept the snow in Texas! Here in central Nebraska & points north were expecting 20-31cm by morning. My kids haven't been to school in 2 days. Very depressing.

Texas!!!! Yeah, they are at fault. Thanks Texas for the snow that is coming our way up here in NYS. D*&^* Texans, B&**!&^%... ;) LMAO

aktiwers
December 9th, 2009, 03:04 AM

Give it too weeks, then you start hating it :P

Marvin666
December 9th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Nothing that sticks, but it's been getting "cold" lately (all the people around me consider it cold). Tomorrow there's gonna be a huge windstorm. 50+mph. I'm charging up my battery bank, so I'll still be able to do stuff if the power gets knocked out. A battery powered tv, and a ps2 should do it. Right now I could have 6 hours of continuous play.

starcannon
December 9th, 2009, 04:42 AM

;)

Translation please.

lisati
December 9th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Translation please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPu-C5vvzU4
(Edit: Not an exact translation, but it should give you an idea what was being referred to)

Marvin666
December 9th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Update: 60mph gusts expected.

Hwæt
December 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM

I actually wrapped up a 12 inches long, 8 inches tall, and 5 inches wide snowball in foil and put it in my deep freeze. :popcorn:

It's an iceball now, but hey, that still counts for something considering it was snow at one time.