PDA

View Full Version : Who's addicted to the Minimal CD?

The Toxic Mite
December 4th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Hey everyone!

God, I freaking love the Minimal CD - you can customise the hell out of it!

Who else loves the Minimal CD here? And why?

:mrgreen:

juancarlospaco
December 4th, 2009, 09:46 PM
The Off-Line users are great fans.
:)

nothingspecial
December 4th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I use the minimal cd and server one, depending on my system.

Ubuntu minimal + openbox = lightning on my system.

ajgreeny
December 4th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I am seriously considering using it for my next install of ubuntu. It does have many advantages, as you say.

1 It is very customizable.
2 You can use it without the installation of many outdated and unwanted packages that quickly appear in a new version of the full distro CD.
3 I have used it a couple of times to install just the LXDE desktop and the few apps that I needed on an old, slow laptop. Brilliant!

The only problem I can think of, is that many people who have not used linux, or specifically ubuntu, in the past would find it very odd to be faced with what looks like a strange version of msdos (if they even know about that) on their screen, and would probably be very frightened by it.

endBc
December 4th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Have been using for the past 2 ( maybe less but that's not what the point is ) years. From time to time I like to play with the default Ubuntu CD ( Gnome ) but mainly building everything from scratch.

Grifulkin
December 4th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I enjoy distro's who have these minimal cd's. Like Arch for example that's all they have, which is what I'm running on right now but that is beside the point. If I were to install ubuntu on something again, definitely be the Minimal CD and go from there.

FuturePilot
December 4th, 2009, 10:24 PM
PXE booting it is even better because you don't need a CD :D

Falc7
December 4th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Can you use the minimal cd to install a minimal kubuntu?

endBc
December 4th, 2009, 11:00 PM

Or in other words, install KDE ? Yes.

The Toxic Mite
December 4th, 2009, 11:48 PM

Kubuntu (and KDE itself) is not minimal.

KDE, since it's conception, has been gaining more features, and KDE Software Compilation 4 is by far the most full-featured desktop, but SC4 is heavy on eye candy as well, so I wouldn't conisder it to be a "minimal" desktop.