PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] change the logon background in Kubuntu 9.10

optimistique1
December 4th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Hi All

Does anyone know how I change the logon background in Kubuntu 9.10 so that it is the same as the desktop background.

Many thanks

Garry

aysiu
December 5th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I'm a bit rusty on KDE.

I think this may help, though. Paste these two commands into the terminal (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/terminal):
sudo updatedb
locate kdmrc Once you find the kdmrc file, edit it as root using
sudo -i or
kdesu dolphin and look for a line about the background and point that to the location of your background picture.

Zorael
December 8th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Which background to display when the greeter (login screen) is shown is defined in the kdm theme. In 9.10, the default theme is oxygen-air, and it's located at /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/oxygen-air. The actual background in use is the file there named 1280x800.jpg.

You could copy that whole (theme) directory elsewhere, make the changes to the new directory as you please (change wallpaper), and then point kdm to use the new theme. You could either edit the oxygen-air.xml file and make it point at a different wallpaper at line 10, or replace the 1280x800.jpg file with your own.

<item type="pixmap" id="background" background="true">
<normal file="1280x800.jpg" scalemode="crop"/>
<pos width="100%" height="100%"/>
</item>
To change which theme is to be used, there's a Login Manager section in System Settings, under the Advanced tab. Obviously it will require root privileges.