PDA

View Full Version : DVDs in 64-bit

xuCGC002
December 4th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Ok, I have a question. I want to play DVDs legally on my 64-bit Ubuntu installation. I heard that PowerDVD does not work on 64-bit, so scratch that. I'm not touching libdvdcss as I don't need any legal trouble. So what's a way I could legally watch DVDs on 64-bit?

SunnyRabbiera
December 4th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Just use libdvdcss, its not like if you use it the police will come and break in the door for using it.
If you bought a computer with a DVD player you are legally covered.
Screw BS software patent laws anyway, you cant go on living if you cant feel alive.
I use libdvdcss and live in the US, never once had cops come and arrest me and I doubt they ever will.

dca
December 4th, 2009, 06:44 PM
+1 on libdvdcss2 (in Medibuntu repos): Although, you could install the ia32libs (which is what I always do, I think that's what the package is called) to allow for 32bit apps to run on 64bit Ubuntu systems.... Can't guarantee the results, never used PowerDVD on Linux. Hold on someone's at the door.... Oh S***, it's the feds!!!

Eisenwinter
December 4th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I use libdvdcss and live in the US, never once had cops come and arrest me and I doubt they ever will.

I'm calling the police right now, you're busted.

SunnyRabbiera
December 4th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Haha, yeh.
But still just use libdvdcss, if lindvd wont offer 64bit support then i say screw it.

LowSky
December 4th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I'm not touching libdvdcss as I don't need any legal trouble. So what's a way I could legally watch DVDs on 64-bit?

Name one case where someone has been charged with using libdvdcss?

SunnyRabbiera
December 4th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Name one case where someone has been charged with using libdvdcss?

I know I cant.

bobbob94
December 4th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Yep, I'd imagine your chance of legal troubles for this is substantially less than your chance of being hit by lightning ;)

RiceMonster
December 4th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I'm calling the police right now, you're busted.

I lol'd

oldos2er
December 4th, 2009, 07:33 PM
http://www.fluendo.com/shop/product/fluendo-dvd-player/

Edit: This is not spam, just a recommendation.

soni1770
December 4th, 2009, 07:37 PM
http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=19&osCsid=649600d1df29618e80925a4b143aeadc

cariboo
December 4th, 2009, 07:37 PM
The fluendo codecs are available through the Canonical Store (http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=19&osCsid=9873f4300616e1ee970fdae8c0b00df4) too.

SunnyRabbiera
December 4th, 2009, 08:00 PM
http://www.fluendo.com/shop/product/fluendo-dvd-player/

Edit: This is not spam, just a recommendation.

Its a good one at that.

forrestcupp
December 4th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Does Fluendo work in 64-bit?

blueshiftoverwatch
December 4th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I heard that PowerDVD does not work on 64-bit
It might work if you used the dpkg command to force the architecture, it's how I got my copy of Nero Linux to work.

oldos2er
December 4th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Does Fluendo work in 64-bit?

Of course.

hobo14
December 5th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Ok, I have a question. I want to play DVDs legally on my 64-bit Ubuntu installation. I heard that PowerDVD does not work on 64-bit, so scratch that. I'm not touching libdvdcss as I don't need any legal trouble. So what's a way I could legally watch DVDs on 64-bit?

Just use libvdcss. There is no-one and nothing out there that will ever be even remotely interested in taking legal action against you.

jwbrase
December 5th, 2009, 12:41 AM

Now, I haven't yet felt any great need to play DVD's on my Ubuntu System, but if I do, I'll probably use libdvdcss. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you're not using it to copy, you have every right to use whatever software you want to get around the crippleware the industry uses to prevent copying. I'll stand by the industry's copyrights, but I won't stand by (and in fact I'll stand against) any attempt on their part to regulate what hardware I may play a DVD I legally have possession of on. I'm not sure any law supporting something like that is Constitutional, and even if it is, it's not ethical.

speedwell68
December 5th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Libdvdcss is not legal in the UK and I have been using it for four years without any dramas. Just install it and forget it.

doorknob60
December 5th, 2009, 02:55 AM
If you're seriously worried about the lagality, use this: http://www.fluendo.com/shop/product/fluendo-dvd-player/ Don't worry about it, though, especially since I assume your computer came with some type of DVD playing software when you bought it. :) EDIT: Guess FLuendo was already posted, but yes, it does have x86_64 packagtes so you're good. Also, 95% of the time (at least), things will work in 64 bit even if they're 32 bit binaries. Examples? Skype, Wine, etc.

xuCGC002
December 5th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I like to keep things as legally smooth as possible on my computer. I guess I'll just use Fluendo.