PDA

View Full Version : OSX version of photoshop and flash

Marshall2day
February 22nd, 2006, 01:44 PM
Hi, I was wondering if it will be possible to run the OSX version of Photoshop and Flash on linux since apple decided to make the switch to intel architecture. Since OSX is a Unix based OS shouldn't it be easier to get these versions to work in stead of the Winblows versions?

PryGuy
February 22nd, 2006, 02:37 PM
Yes, easier. But only a bit easier.:( Frankly, I need these programs real bad and I would kiss Micro$oft goodbye if I had the native Linux versions of them! But I think the problem is that Photoshop for instance is not the standalone program itself but a thing that uses Color Profiles for instance that are deeply integrated into Windows and OSX. And Linux doesn't have such software so far as far as I know. So literally Adobe will have to develop it's own Color Profiles for Linux if they decide to make a version for this platform. And that's not easy... And I don't think they will release a product without it, but who knows...

alfonz
February 22nd, 2006, 02:47 PM
So literally Adobe will have to develop it's own Color Profiles for Linux if they decide to make a version for this platform. And that's not easy... And I don't think they will release a product without it, but who knows...

I would love to see that, then i'd throw my windows cd out the car window while on the hightway lol, but somehow I dout that its going to happen at least not in the near future.

PryGuy
February 22nd, 2006, 02:52 PM
Well, since Adobe bought Macromedia both titles are Adobe now. And it'll be way easier to make a Flash Linux version IMHO. But it's all about company politics and all... So sad... :(

alfonz
February 22nd, 2006, 02:57 PM
exactly, and Adobe has strong relations with Apple, being their main runner for design software. They both gain something out of it.

DigitalDuality
February 22nd, 2006, 03:01 PM
^
Adobe actually is going to be taking on both Apple and Microsoft in terms of competition. MS is coming out with a design suite aimed at the Macromedia / Adobe lines. And Adobe is creating a competing product for Apple's Aperature.

Frankly i think alot of software companies (Adobe/Macromedia, Intuit, etc etc) feel pretty betrayed by the OS companies. Both apple and MS gave unwritten promises that if these companies would write software on their platforms they wouldn't create a competing products, which both have. Especially MS.

PryGuy
February 22nd, 2006, 03:07 PM
So you are going to say that it's time for Adobe to give Linux a try?;)

Enter
February 22nd, 2006, 03:25 PM
it might be so acording to the recent poll of what software we want to see on linux photoshop is number one

(Ruskim privet)

ssam
February 22nd, 2006, 03:53 PM
if someone was to write an equivilent of wine for the mac os x apis then this would be possible. but seen it has taken years for the wine people to get to beta, it would be a long way off.

how much have you spent on photoshop? how much will you pay for the next version?

why not set up some bounties for the gimp to implement the features you need. it would work out cheaper in the long run.

Marshall2day
February 22nd, 2006, 03:58 PM
I know that you can do almost anything with the gimp what you can do with photoshop but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I'm used to photoshop and I don't feel like changing. As for flash there isn't a descent counterpart for linux at all so I really would like to see a linux version or a way to run it on linux without to much hassle. I don't mind paying for it either.

Havoc
February 22nd, 2006, 04:05 PM
if someone was to write an equivilent of wine for the mac os x apis then this would be possible. but seen it has taken years for the wine people to get to beta, it would be a long way off.

how much have you spent on photoshop? how much will you pay for the next version?

why not set up some bounties for the gimp to implement the features you need. it would work out cheaper in the long run.

Well, a similar (to wine) project exists for the Mac, called Mac-on-Linux (http://www.maconlinux.org/), but it only works for PPC CPUs.Thing is, Mac OS X is based on open-source technologies, so creating such a program is a *lot* easier for Mac than it is for Windows.

http://developer.apple.com/opensource/index.html

Leo_01
February 22nd, 2006, 04:23 PM
Yes, easier. But only a bit easier.:( Frankly, I need these programs real bad and I would kiss Micro$oft goodbye if I had the native Linux versions of them! But I think the problem is that Photoshop for instance is not the standalone program itself but a thing that uses Color Profiles for instance that are deeply integrated into Windows and OSX. And Linux doesn't have such software so far as far as I know. So literally Adobe will have to develop it's own Color Profiles for Linux if they decide to make a version for this platform. And that's not easy... And I don't think they will release a product without it, but who knows...
what about a little hack to get the color profiles thing working?

PryGuy
February 22nd, 2006, 05:31 PM
You don't understand the point I'm afraid; Color Profiles subsystem is a part of MacOS X and Windows operating systems and in other words it is a link that connects operating system and a (professional) monitor. It's dealing with things such as color temperature and such. I know not many of us use it but it's absolutely necessary in polygraphy for instance where you have to be sure that the given color will be reproduced properly in print. It's not vital for Web, but I doubt that Adobe will decide to release a very seriously limited product for the Linux platform.

So think Adobe should start with writing such a thing and make it free and Open Source (or how it will be inculded into distributions) and only after that the company will be able to port the good old Photoshop into Linux so we could enjoy it.:)

TTT_travis
February 22nd, 2006, 10:58 PM
My only real problem with linux is the lack of Adobe Products like Photoshop and Dreamweaver etc. I tried crossover office but I hate it, ugly ugly, slow slow. I think the only problem they face is the previous mentioned Color profiles which linux doesn't have and is a requirement when doing professional graphics work like print. I haven't been able to get the feel of gimp, I think paying for some software atleast would be fine and the poll novell took on the most requested linux applications were Photoshop and AutoCAD etc. Also if Adobe does make photoshop for linux schools would be WAY more likely to switch to opensource, and the money they save on the operating systems etc. can be spent to buy more copies of Photoshop. For all we know Adobe is a working on photoshop for linux right now, there are some brilliant people that work for Adobe and I personally think they can do anything, the OS market is really in adobe hands, if adobe were to (and they never would) stop making windows versions of the CS windows would lose tons of shares from schools. Apple could possibly affected by this though since people might consider linux over macs if there is a wider range of software, but I honestly think thats ok. My favorite OS' are 1. Mac OS X and 2. Ubuntu Linux

PryGuy
February 23rd, 2006, 09:38 AM
I agree with you everywhere except for one moment; I don't think that "the OS market is really in adobe hands" actually. Don't forget about games! But the situation can really change as Adobe Linux will be released, Linux (and Apple) will become a platform for work and Windows will turn into an entertainment platform. Just remember X-Box with it's deep MCE integration, MCE itself and many other things Micro$oft is working on and think you will agree with me.