PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Going back to 9.04 - how?

zcacogp
December 4th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Chaps,

I have three machines, and all three had 9.04 on them. I upgraded them all to 9.10 using the 'Alternate' install disc to do an upgrade.

Two of them are fine. One of them is struggling. It's an IBM X31 Thinkpad, and it seems that there are a number of people struggling to make their X31 work on 9.10 (enabling compiz causes hassles.) I am (fairly) confident that this will be solved in due course, but in the meantime I'd like to regress this particular 9.10 installation to 9.04.

How do I do this? Or more to the point, is there any way of doing this without starting again from scratch? I have the original 9.04 install disk, but I'd like to avoid having to re-install all the software I have on the machine, re-do the settings and so on.

Is this possible?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Oli.

P.S. Slightly ironically, 9.04 always ran much better on my X31 than it did on the other two machines, where it was never that good. 9.10 is significantly much better on the other two machines, but is not great on the X31 ...

hansdown
December 4th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Hi zcacogp.

The only way back is a fresh install, sadly.

zcacogp
December 4th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Hansdown,

Hmmm. I feared as much.

Thanks for letting me know.

Oli.

hansdown
December 4th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I usually goe to stchman's site after a fresh install. It speeds up installing all the extras.

http://www.stchman.com/

Thanks stchman.