PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] My LiveCD is dead...

krnbob246
December 4th, 2009, 10:04 AM
So I downloaded the ubuntu 9.1 iso and plopped it onto a CD-R using the normal burning software on my vista. I changed my BIOS to have my DVD drive run first and I restarted my laptop. It just loads my freakin Vista OS.

Is there something I'm missing? Do I need to do something else to the CD to make it bootable?

or even better

is there a solution that doesn't even require me to use a CD?

thanks in advance for you help!

darkod
December 4th, 2009, 10:12 AM
You can use usb stick if your computer can boot from usb.
When you did burn with the software, did you burn it as image? You need to burn as image, not the actual image file onto the cd. Open the cd in vista and if it shows files and folders you did a good job. If it shows only the ubuntu***.iso file, you just burned the file onto the cd and it's normal that vista is booting not the cd.

In case you need it, ImgBurn is good and free burning software for windows. Use the burn image to cd option and don't burn on higher speed than 8x.

quinnten83
December 4th, 2009, 10:14 AM
and then there is WUBI.
it would be best to google these some.

darkod
December 4th, 2009, 10:24 AM
and then there is WUBI.
it would be best to google these some.

I absolutely appreciate that ubuntu is giving these options but IMHO wubi is a no-go. Noticed the threads lately how the upgrade from 31-14 to 31-15 is breaking it? And that update offer comes up for wubi the same as for regular side-by-side ubuntu. Once you do it, it's toast... And a lot of other problems too. It's easy to install for windows users, but also easy to get them into trouble and give wrong impression of ubuntu.
You are free to do as you want after all. :)
Wubi is sort of a temporary trial. If you are serious about ubuntu, jump that step. As for trying, yes, you can use wubi or just running Try Ubuntu from the cd.