PDA

View Full Version : I Fell in Love With Ubuntu

shahzadah
December 4th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Ubuntu Is Great! Its Fast! Its Attractive! and its comes free with its upgrades and milions of owsome free softwere. open office is great. i just installed compiz setting manager.. 3d desktop effects are realy cool. i definitly wana to be a ubuntu freak for ever. But!!!! I Just Hope that some important softweres can also be run with same parformance as they do in windows.. like dreamweaver, fireworks n flash as i do them for webdesinging. and one last thing.. if games like call of duty, need for speed and fifa can be run as they do in windows... then their will be no match for ubuntu... ubuntu code of conduct impases me to do some thing for the comunity... n somone tell how can i support this comunity better:KS...

earthpigg
December 4th, 2009, 06:54 AM
[ca]n somone tell how can i support this comunity better...[?]

no matter how novice you are, someone here is more novice than you and would benefit from your experience.

so, share it! :D

shahzadah
December 4th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Thanx EarthPigg...:)

shahzadah
December 4th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Will ubuntu support games 'like call of duty' and 'need for speed' one day ? ? or Is there some linux or ubuntu version that supports gaming and some others features.

mvalviar
December 4th, 2009, 07:08 AM
You could try wine (http://winehq.org) to run your window$ apps.

Sealbhach
December 4th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I Just Hope that some important softweres can also be run with same parformance as they do in windows.. like dreamweaver, fireworks n flash as i do them for webdesinging. and one last thing.. if games like call of duty, need for speed and fifa can be run as they do in windows...

That is the problem. There are no versions of these for Linux. There is something in Linux called Wine, which provides a compatibility layer, so that you can run some of these programs on a Linux OS, but it doesn't always work as well as running them natively in Linux.

Tale a look at PlayonLinux (http://www.playonlinux.com/en) and Winehq (http://www.winehq.org/).

I have played Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare on Wine and it worked quite well, after a little bit of adjustment. Other people have reported the latest COD runs fine on Wine. People also say that Dreamweaver 8 works very well on Wine too, but it's not the case with most applications - in which case you need to find an alternative or else dual boot with Windows.

shahzadah
December 4th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Thanks sealbach. thanks man... I'll try wine to play 'cod'. while for my web desinging I'll try to adjust with 'quanta' and 'gimp' n give it a try... :popcorn:

abhilashm86
December 4th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks sealbach. thanks man... I'll try wine to play 'cod'. while for my web desinging I'll try to adjust with 'quanta' and 'gimp' n give it a try... :popcorn:

u can use bluefish (http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/), geany (http://www.geany.org/), while famous my favorite LAMP yes LAMP is in linux!! and apache2,
what else you need for webdesign?
also linux supports adobe flex 3.0 without design mode, try that too in eclipse!!

earthpigg
December 4th, 2009, 09:03 AM

if you plan on using Linux over the long term, it is almost certainly in your best interests to learn to use native Linux stuff for work/business/productivity tasks. you don't want your livelihood to be reliant on WINE continuing to function.

video games? yeah, different story.

scottuss
December 4th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Ubuntu Is Great! Its Fast! Its Attractive! and its comes free with its upgrades and milions of owsome free softwere. open office is great. i just installed compiz setting manager.. 3d desktop effects are realy cool. i definitly wana to be a ubuntu freak for ever. But!!!! I Just Hope that some important softweres can also be run with same parformance as they do in windows.. like dreamweaver, fireworks n flash as i do them for webdesinging. and one last thing.. if games like call of duty, need for speed and fifa can be run as they do in windows... then their will be no match for ubuntu... ubuntu code of conduct impases me to do some thing for the comunity... n somone tell how can i support this comunity better:KS...

You can try running Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash by using a program on Ubuntu called WINE. It basically lets you (try) to run any Windows programs.

Search for it on the forums / Google for more information.

gillespiea
December 4th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I converted to Ubuntu a couple of years ago and had the exact same feeling. "If games ran on it and web dev software ran on it it'd be the ultimate OS".
Sadly Windows has a HUGE lead over users...some people don't even know linux exists. Now because of this, more people are going to want games to run on windows rather than on linux. A friend of mine is an ubuntu enthusiast, as is my brother. Both of whom are game developers. I did once ask them why they didn't make games for linux, and appart from the reason i have already given, it's because they would need to relearn alot of coding...and games are usually a commercial product, Linux isn't (usually).

If you still need to use your Dreamweaver you can get crossover office. I used that when i first switched. But recently i've been learning new coding languages and it's made making websites much more fun and easier/quicker for me to find errors by using the text editor (in my case gedit).

Gedit can show you the line numbers, and it also highlights the code depending on the exact code within. So say i want a little bit of php it will show up as follows (colours differ a little):

<?php echo "hello world"; ?>

I seem to be going off on a tangent now so i'll stop. Glad you love Ubuntu, Glad someone else uses it for the same purposes. If you ever need a hand with anything just give me a shout and i'll try help :).

P.S. i did once get COD4 working...didn't look anywhere as good as what it did on windows though. If you really want to play computer games, keep a windows install or get a console (my personal opinion not saying you have to lol).

clanky
December 4th, 2009, 01:06 PM
window$

That was really clever, you replaced s with $ and now Windows is window$.

scottuss
December 4th, 2009, 02:11 PM
That was really clever, you replaced s with $ and now Windows is window$.

It's only a bit of fun!

Ya know, in some places we don't use dollars, which means to us, it's just a funny looking S. :p

gillespiea
December 11th, 2009, 02:40 PM
could just try windowß
too far?