PDA

View Full Version : favorite Firefox addon?

phillychease
December 4th, 2009, 05:42 AM
my favorite is probably greasemonkey, flashblock, and ad-block.
gotta hate those ads! :)

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 4th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Yeah, it still amazes me that there are people that don't know about adblock and other adblocking plugins. I know some people that refuse to use it because they want the webpages to make money, though I'm not really sure how the advertising model works online. Do they make money even if I don't click their stupid ads? (I never have)

BenAshton24
December 4th, 2009, 05:56 AM
AdBlockPlus and Video Download Helper, also, Stylish so that I can remove ads and the space that they leave behind on grooveshark :)

NewJack
December 4th, 2009, 06:08 AM
AdBlockPlus, NoScript, Google Shortcuts, X-Marks are my favs!

lisati
December 4th, 2009, 06:09 AM
xmarks (http://xmarks.com) to synchronize bookmarks between machines and OSes. I think there's an option that lets you use it with IE as well.....

crimesaucer
December 4th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I only use 8 Add-Ons.

Ghostery (my favorite, I set it to block ALL scripts): https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9609
SearchPreview (formerly the GooglePreview): https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/189
Adblock Plus
Fission (I can turn my status bar off and see pages load in my address bar)
Gmail Checker
ScrapBook plus
StumbleUpon
Nightly Tester Tools

phillychease
December 4th, 2009, 06:11 AM
xmarks (http://xmarks.com) to synchronize bookmarks between machines and OSes. I think there's an option that lets you use it with IE as well.....

oh. it synchronize bookmarks between OSes? even when i double boot ubuntu with windows?
i gotta check it out!

lisati
December 4th, 2009, 06:15 AM
oh. it synchronize bookmarks between OSes? even when i double boot ubuntu with windows?
i gotta check it out!

Yes. I dual-boot Vista & Ubuntu on my laptop, and have Xmarks on both. Part of the way it works is to store your bookmarks on the xmarks server.
The xmarks website is www.xmarks.com

ElSlunko
December 4th, 2009, 06:36 AM
X-Marks. Between OS's and even some browsers! There's an xmarks chrome extension.

antenna
December 4th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Vimperator, for easy keyboard browsing.. especially on my laptop.

Sealbhach
December 4th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Adblock Plus, NoScript, X-Marks, NetVideoHunter. These are what I use, I find them indispensable. I have been tempted to try Chromium (for lower ram and cpu overheads) but I need my add-ons.

hessiess
December 4th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Vimperator.

favorite Firefox addon?

my favorite is probably greasemonkey, flashblock, and ad-block.
gotta hate those ads!

`Addon' implies a singlar item, then you post 3;)

Zoot7
December 4th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Flashblock, Adblock, Flashgot, Downthemall, Greasemonkey, All-In-One Sidebar, among many others.

gotta hate those ads! :)
Agreed, there's nothing more annoying than that flash crap dancing around the page basically screaming "OOOHHH BUY ME!!11!!", while reading an article.

lovinglinux
December 4th, 2009, 02:19 PM
My list. I'm currently using more than 40 extensions. (http://lovinglinux.megabyet.net/?p=36)

crimesaucer
December 4th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Am I the only person using the Add-on "Ghostery"?

BrokenKingpin
December 4th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Xmarks as well.

ZankerH
December 4th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Torbutton, FireGPG, AdBlock plus, noScript, treestyle tabs

flashblock? You block flash by not installing it. Only way to be sure, etc... :D

Psumi
December 4th, 2009, 04:50 PM
NoScript (NO there ARE NO alternatives to it on Opera, Chrome, etc. Don't tell me to get flashblock, ad-block, etc. NoScript is a gem, unlike them.)

Greasemonkey (No, the homestarrunner all-in-one cannot work with any other browser, because it requires major greasemonkey APIs to even function. Try it on Midori, it will not work.)

Screengrab! (Used for providing screenshots to Wakoopa.)

Video Download Helper (Only use it on linux, because ffmpeg is easier to get for linux.)

Organize Status Bar (Finally can get rid of that annoying Security-button, alt plugin icon included in ubufox extension, greasemonkey icon, etc.)

Pott
December 4th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Ok two things:

My no script doesn't let me post on Ubuntu forums. It gets rid of what I type and then says the message is too short of course...

I use and love:

Fission
Compact Menu
Search Preview

What I would really, really want:

You know how in Chrome there's no statusbar, but you still see the URL if you hover above a link? I want that in Firefox too but I don't know if there's something like that... I want to get rid of my statusbar but I still want to see where I'm about to click...

Lightstar
December 4th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Mozilla Weave (syncs my bookmarks between my windows, linux, and netbook)

FastDial (Quick bookmark access on main page, thumbnails)

Cooliris (See your image search on a 3D wall, easy scrolling, gotta try it)

crimesaucer
December 4th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Fission

What I would really, really want:

You know how in Chrome there's no statusbar, but you still see the URL if you hover above a link? I want that in Firefox too but I don't know if there's something like that... I want to get rid of my statusbar but I still want to see where I'm about to click...

I Know what I'm about to suggest is not the same as seeing the link address in a tooltip as you hover a link..... but if you wanted to get rid of the firefox status bar, doesn't Fisson have the option to show the link addresses in the URL address bar?

Go to the Fission Preferences and check the box for:

Active link/mouse-over link in the address bar

Tibuda
December 4th, 2009, 06:10 PM

Try autoHideStatusbar: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1530

Pott
December 4th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Aye I actually checked out the Fission options and indeed it's there, so I finally got the extra real estate and my URL display, all's good :) thanks guys!

BinaryFeast
December 4th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Mozilla Weave is the first thing I install. It syncs everything and I can't do without it. It is one of the things that Firefox has above all other browsers. Then of course there is Adblock plus... For a while I had forgotten what ads looked like (Until I decided to try Chromium. I got a shock from all that flashing menace.).

ratcheer
December 4th, 2009, 07:26 PM
NoScript, followed closely by Ad Block.

Tim

Sealbhach
December 4th, 2009, 07:52 PM

In my Firefox, if I hover over a link it displays the URL at the bottom of the browser page, which is just fine for me. I think if they showed up in tooltips that would be just annoying.

cmargolin
December 4th, 2009, 10:33 PM
AutoPager, Calculator, ConQuery(mod-3), Email This!, Paragrasp, PrefBar, Tabs Open Relative

PorkyPie
December 4th, 2009, 10:35 PM
AdBlockPlus and Video Download Helper, also, Stylish so that I can remove ads and the space that they leave behind on grooveshark :)

Hey, Did you view my tutorial for stylish and Grooveshark? Probably not, just checking :)

phillychease
December 5th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Ok two things:

My no script doesn't let me post on Ubuntu forums. It gets rid of what I type and then says the message is too short of course...

just allow noscript to access ubuntu forums then it runs perfectly :)

Sealbhach
December 5th, 2009, 09:46 AM
just allow noscript to access ubuntu forums then it runs perfectly :)

Ubuntuforums needs you to allow yahooapis.com too.

Frantic_Earthling
December 5th, 2009, 09:55 AM
WOT + Adblock

Ted3929
December 5th, 2009, 11:22 AM
WOT for checking out those nasty web pages that look innocent

t0p
December 5th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Flashblock, CustomizeGoogle and DownloadHelper. I've got others too (such as FireGPG, Gspace and User Agent Switcher...) but the first three are my faves.

flashblock? You block flash by not installing it. Only way to be sure, etc... :D

When you use Flashblock, flash content on a site does not appear - but you can enable it by clicking on a button. So you can choose which bits of flash content you want to see. So you can still watch flash video (like at Youtube) but still block other flash (like ads).

Flash is a horrible thing. But it's a good thing too.

Nerd King
December 5th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Tree style tabs. Can't live without it on a wide-screen monitor.