PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installed Can & Can't See Hard Disks

PeEllAvaj
December 4th, 2009, 03:36 AM
I'm trying to do a fresh install of Ubuntu or Kubuntu (I have tried both disks) on a new machine that used to run Fedora. When I get into the installer, the step where the partitioning is done, it doesn't report any disks found and I can't move the install forward.

This is really weird because gparted and dolphin both report seeing the disk. I am even able to read/write to/from it, and edit the partition table just fine.

Any ideas?

phillw
December 4th, 2009, 04:06 AM
I'm trying to do a fresh install of Ubuntu or Kubuntu (I have tried both disks) on a new machine that used to run Fedora. When I get into the installer, the step where the partitioning is done, it doesn't report any disks found and I can't move the install forward.

This is really weird because gparted and dolphin both report seeing the disk. I am even able to read/write to/from it, and edit the partition table just fine.

Any ideas?
Hi

Set the area of the disk (possibly all of it - it doesn't matter) that you're going to use for Ubuntu to 'un-allocated'. i.e. - remove the file system completely from it. Then Ubuntu should give you the option to use unallocated space.
If it's going to be 100% Ubuntu - make sure that is only one partition - and it is unallocated

Phill

PeEllAvaj
December 4th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I just tried deleting the partition, so that all 400GB of the Sata drive show up as "unallocated" in gparted. I then restarted the installer, and it still doesn't show any drives after the keyboard step, and none of the buttons "add" "delete", etc do anything.

Any other ideas?

PeEllAvaj
December 4th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Bump. I'm pretty technical, is there anything I can do to debug ubiquity, to see from a technical perspective what is failing? I tried running it from the command line and watching the output, but that didn't give me anything new regarding the problem.

pyromax
December 4th, 2009, 11:53 PM
uhm, you might want to look into the raid controller ubuntu suddenly needs. I know it messed up my setup pretty good.
Unfortunately, I kind of lost the thread which I used to get the most hints, sorry.

Furious87
December 5th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Im having this exact same problem, my sata controller is should be a Silicon Image 3112 SATA or a Silicon Image 3512 SATA. im not shure cuss both of thoose uses the same driver.

A thing ive noticed if i format the hdd and mount it. it shows up as it should on the desktop. BUT when i start the installer the hdd magically disappears. AND when i close the installer the hdd icon appears again.

my guess is that somthing is really off with the installer. im gonna try to dl a older version of ubuntu and see if i get the same problem. that is if someone doesnt figure this out :D

Furious87
December 5th, 2009, 06:01 AM
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/2249/screenshotk.png

there is a screen shot of my installer. and a screenshot of Gparted, Disk Utility and A Terminal with "sudo fdisk -l"

Someone on irc said something about AHCI. but i cant figure out what that is and how i enable/disable it in my bios.

raymondh
December 5th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I've seen a thread where dmraid was removed. In liveCD and in live session, access a terminal and type

sudp apt-get remove dmraid

Then exit terminal, exit live session and try to install.

Another tip (from presence1960) is in step 4 of the installer and select the proper HD in the top right corner.

Hope that helps.

Furious87
December 5th, 2009, 09:08 AM
removing dmraid is works for me.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/459054

PeEllAvaj
December 5th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Removing dmraid with "sudo apt-get remove dmraid" worked for me!

Thank you so much everyone!

raymondh
December 5th, 2009, 03:30 PM
glad it worked ...

happy ubuntu-ing :)