PDA

View Full Version : A search engine that respects privacy :-)

Shpongle
December 4th, 2009, 03:14 AM
just found this a while ago and thought id share it with yous

http://www.ixquick.com/eng/

Wiebelhaus
December 4th, 2009, 03:22 AM
It's cool but most of my search results were in Japanese and yes of course I set it to English.

Shpongle
December 4th, 2009, 03:26 AM
i dunno why that is , it works fine for me , are you using tor or something?

chris200x9
December 4th, 2009, 03:29 AM
scroogle

dragos240
December 4th, 2009, 03:35 AM
It's cool but most of my search results were in Japanese and yes of course I set it to English.

I'm in.

Ric_NYC
December 4th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Privacy on the Internet???

pwnst*r
December 4th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Privacy on the Internet???

lulz indeed.

the yawner
December 4th, 2009, 04:40 AM
What kind of searches do you do that would need privacy?

Shpongle
December 4th, 2009, 10:55 AM
its not that , i just want privacy! like most users!

SunnyRabbiera
December 4th, 2009, 10:57 AM

p0rn!
:D :p

blueshiftoverwatch
December 4th, 2009, 11:05 AM
scroogle
Great search tool, I've been using it for awhile now. You can even set it (http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html?name=scroogle) as the default search engine in your search bar. Although, don't use the SSL function unless you really feel that you need that level of privacy, for example if you want to privately search for something while at work or when connected to WiFi. As it increases the load on Scroogle's servers.

I don't know, but privacy is like an insurance policy. It not seem important now, and will probably require a bit of extra diligence on your part to attain it. But if you ever need the benefits, your already covered. If you wait until you need it, you won't have it and it'll already be too late to get it.

madnessjack
December 4th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Thought you guys were all into freedom of information and all that? :P

Velnias
December 4th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Free search? Why someone will pay a lot of money for search servers running 356/356? So, your search has a price - don't expect not to pay.

blueshiftoverwatch
December 4th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Free search? Why someone will pay a lot of money for search servers running 356/356? So, your search has a price - don't expect not to pay.
Exactly.

Just like how Gmail, Hotmail, and other such services aren't really free. Sure, they're providing you an email account free of charge. But you pay for it in the sense that they're monitoring what people are saying to each other, collecting it in huge databases, and either using it for their own purposes or selling it to marketing companies.

Say AMD releases a new CPU in May and they want to see how popular it is. They could ask Google to monitor all instances of "new AMD chip" or other such phrases in email for March, April, May, June, and July, than make a line graph showing how often people talked about their new chip during those months and use it for advertising purposes.

But if you encrypt your email (or as much of it as possible) your getting a free email account and they aren't getting any information out of you and building up a huge database of all your interests. So it's the best of both worlds. That was just an example, I don't know specifically what's in Gmail or Hotmail's TOS as I havent' personally read them. But I suspect that if it's not what I described, it's something similar.

madnessjack
December 4th, 2009, 11:56 AM
no need to pay for it http://www.google.com/trends

openuniverse
December 4th, 2009, 12:36 PM

the yawner
December 4th, 2009, 12:53 PM
all of them. a few searches here and there don't matter, but all of them together create a perfect file about you that j. edgar hoover could have never in a thousand years dreamed of.

You? But you don't matter. Nope. I don't think a company would be interested in your search habits. However, tens of thousands of you searching for pink ponies, now that registers as something.

Sure, scroogle will hide your IP as they pass along the search query to google. But google will still count it as a search for a specific subject regardless where it came from.

And while were on the subject, putting your trust on someone else because they claim they're trustworthy? Give me your email address, I won't do anything unscrupulous with it.

openuniverse
December 4th, 2009, 03:58 PM

handy
December 5th, 2009, 04:26 AM
I use Scroogle SSL, unless I want to see commercial sites & adds for some reason, then I use Google.

I have Firefox set to ask me every time a site wants to set a cookie, so I have a very long list of sites that don't ask anymore because I said NO, & remember it. I have a short list of sites that I allow because I must, like forums that I use & such.

I also run Privoxy on my headless IPCop standalone firewall/router/proxy box. Privoxy helps some with privacy protection also amongst other things like add blocking & such.

Even with this lot, I'm still only cutting down on hopefully a large percentage of the tracking & recording of my internet usage. I think for someone serious about it, they probably need to find the right proxy service out there in the world somewhere & pay them for the service.

At this point in time I see no need to go that far, but it may happen in the future as governments of the world pushed by BIG money place more limitations on our internet freedoms & work at turning the internet into mainly a profit making (via providing specific services) industry that costs more, gives us more video in more ways but gives us less honesty & freedom.

[Edit:] I have used Tor in the past; it is a good thing for privacy, not that it is 100% effective. If some organisation was out to track you in particular & they know your IP address Tor will only slow them down.

Tor also slows down your internet speed unfortunately. I don't use it these days.

RATM_Owns
December 6th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Is there a Greasemonkey or whatever script for Google that replaces the Google search box with the SSL Scroogle search box? So it sends the search terms to SSL Scroogle instead of Google?

handy
December 7th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Is there a Greasemonkey or whatever script for Google that replaces the Google search box with the SSL Scroogle search box? So it sends the search terms to SSL Scroogle instead of Google?

Yes, more than one, I think the following will do the trick, if it doesn't include the SSL option, then have search, it won't take long to find one that will:

http://jeffwinkler.net/2006/08/11/firefox-search-plugins-scroogle-pythondocs-javablogs/