PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] error message about disk space

tamedcynic
December 4th, 2009, 01:09 AM
So, I really am a beginner and I think I partitioned the hard drive wrong, because I am getting a message that reads:

Not enough free disk space
The upgrade needs a total of 378M free space on disk '/'. Please free at least an additional 135M of disk space on '/'. Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of former installations using 'sudo apt-get clean'.

What am I doing wrong here?

raymondh
December 4th, 2009, 04:49 AM
So, I really am a beginner and I think I partitioned the hard drive wrong, because I am getting a message that reads:

Not enough free disk space
The upgrade needs a total of 378M free space on disk '/'. Please free at least an additional 135M of disk space on '/'. Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of former installations using 'sudo apt-get clean'.

What am I doing wrong here?

DRS305 wrote a good tutorial about recovering disk space.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoverLostDiskSpace

If you want to know allocations and usage within the system files, access a terminal and type

df -h

If you want to resize and need assistance, post back with a screenshot of gparted (system > admin > partition editor). You can take a screenshot by pressing PRTSCRN key or accessing the 'camera' (Applications > accessories > take a screenshot). Save to desktop and attach to your next post. It'll help the forum visualize your HD.

If you have difficulties with a screenshot, kindly post back results (from terminal) of

sudo fdisk -l

Regards,