PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 to 9.04

bob brazie
December 4th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I have a dual boot vista and 8.10 machine.

I have the 9.04 ISO burned to a cd.

I insert the cd in the drive while I am in 8.10 but it will not install or offer any prompts as the directions here say: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/getubuntu/upgrading

I try the commands listed on the page after entering them in the alt/f2 dialogue box but nothing happens.

Help? Thanks in advance. Bob.

phillw
December 4th, 2009, 12:51 AM

I insert the cd in the drive while I am in 8.10 but it will not install or offer any prompts as the directions here say: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/getubuntu/upgrading

I try the commands listed on the page after entering them in the alt/f2 dialogue box but nothing happens.

Hi,

Does the 9.10 cd run in LiveCD mode when you boot it ?

Phill

wojox
December 4th, 2009, 12:57 AM
If you burnt it to a CD then you need to reboot and install from there. The other directions are for mounting the .iso file directly stored on your computer.

bob brazie
December 4th, 2009, 01:39 AM
How would i do this on a duel boot system?

lidex
December 4th, 2009, 02:00 AM
There are plenty of tutorials and freelance help in forums to help you. the question is: what are you trying to do? Upgrade your ubuntu install? Install Jaunty over Intrepid? Install alongside and tri-boot?

A simple upgrade can be done online from within Intrepid. For installation you need to boot from LiveCD and to do that your bios needs to be configured to boot from cdrom first. You should also have some idea of your hard disks/partitions and to which you want to install.

Have a look here:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Multiple_OS_Installation

bob brazie
December 4th, 2009, 02:29 AM
As stated up grade 8.1 to 9.04 and keep the vista install. That is duel boot not tri.

When I try to do just the up grade form update manager it keeps asking for a cd.

lidex
December 4th, 2009, 03:25 AM
As stated up grade 8.1 to 9.04 and keep the vista install. That is duel boot not tri.
Sorry, wasn't clear from your post. :-k Have a look here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JauntyUpgrades

efflandt
December 4th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I recently updgrated an 8.10 system to 9.04 using Update Manager. It was actually Qimo for kids based on Xubuntu 8.10. During the installations it did show some X errors (probably because files were being changed), could not upgrade squeak-vm, and appeared to abort before it finished.

It uses Xfce instead of gnome, and after rebooting and logging in, set up defaults for X that it needed. The only immediate upgrade was that it then upgraded the squeak-vm that it could not update during the upgrade. Other than losing the progress bar during boot, everything seems to work fine.

Either way, upgrade or fresh install, it is best to backup anything you really do not want to lose.

bob brazie
December 4th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Yes I said in my first reply that I tried the suggestions on that page and it would not look at the CD.

I would like to upgrade to 9.04.

I have the ISO burned to a CD. I insert it and try to run it but it says it can't find the auto run program.

phillw
December 4th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Yes I said in my first reply that I tried the suggestions on that page and it would not look at the CD.

I would like to upgrade to 9.04.

I have the ISO burned to a CD. I insert it and try to run it but it says it can't find the auto run program.

What happens if you boot with the cd in (ensure your BIOS is set to boot from CD as 1st device) ?

Phill.

bob brazie
December 4th, 2009, 06:46 PM
As stated, I only want to upgrade my 8.04 and leave my Vista alone.

I chose to boot into ubuntu at the duel boot prompt and it opened in 8.04 with no mention of the CD even though it was spining.

dBuster
December 4th, 2009, 06:57 PM
So let me see if I understand correctly.

You have the 9.04 iso burned to a cd that if you were to boot off of that CD you could run in live mode? Meaning it is not just the iso burned to the cd but rather the image is extracted on to the cd. Believe it or not I did just that once and then I learned my lesson. From what your last post stated it sounds like either your computer is not set to boot from the cdrom first, or the disc is not burned properly.

You are trying to use the "Update Manager" clicking on the new release is available message near the top of the window and following those prompts.

It does not see the cdrom disc? Or what happens? Can you screen shot what is going on then post them here? Might help us to understand what your experiencing and try to give you a better solution.

bob brazie
December 4th, 2009, 07:53 PM
It is the same CD that I used to do a clean install on another machine.

Using update manager it will start and then during the process of downloading packages it will stop at 362 and ask that I insert the CD ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty jackalope Release i386 (20090421.3) into the drive '/cdrom/'. I do and every time I click OK it pops the same box asking the same question.

I am not sure why it asks for a CD when I am trying to upgrade using the update manager.

The cdrom can open the CD ubuntu 9.04 i386 and the files viewed so it seems to be working fine.

dBuster
December 4th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I have heard of some issues when the CD's are burned, the iso's that is, when they are not burned at the slowest speed possible not being a good burn. Sure they will work for some things but they are not a good disc.

Not sure if that is the case in your situation.

Have you tried to download and burn another cd to try and eliminate the cd from being an issue?

phillw
December 4th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Have you tried this method - no CD required !!!

It will take you from 8.10 to 9.04

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JauntyUpgrades#Network%20Upgrade%20for%20Ubuntu%20 Desktops%20%28Recommended%29

Regards,

Phill.

bob brazie
December 5th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Thanks, it was burned at the lower speed and it did a great clean install on another machine.

I also checked it with the utility and everything came back OK.

bob brazie
December 5th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Thanks, yes that is the site/page I mentioned in my first post.

alan_tam_sh
December 5th, 2009, 02:23 AM

Hi,
The easiest way is update directly from Update Manager if you are connected to Internet. You can find it at System->Administration->Update Manager. Before you clikc on the upgrade to 9.04, make sure you have install all Updates available in the Update Manager, then just follow instruction to upgrade. This way you will keep your vista and get yuor system upgrade to 9.04. If you are not connected to Internet then your will need to download and burn Alternative Installation CD (not the common Installation disc) and using it for upgrade.

bob brazie
December 5th, 2009, 03:04 AM
As I said above that was on of the first things I tried. While downloading packages it asks that I insert the disk and then keeps asking that same question.