PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant find package

fr3w
December 4th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Hello!
I am kinda new to the linux OP's. I've got it running like i want it to 90%, one thing i miss i the music. Currently im tryin to use the Amarok audio-player, but it wont play my mp3 files.
I found a few answers when i googled for a solution, the mmost common one i found was to install the "gstreamer0.8-mad" package, and this is where my real problem starts.
I cant find this package:/ I can only seem to find "gstreamer0.8-tools";which i cant even install...
I have been googling and looking through forums but havent really found any answer, atleast any that i could understand:P
So it would be awesome if someone could lend me a hand on how to solve this problem? :)

phillw
December 4th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Hello!
I am kinda new to the linux OP's. I've got it running like i want it to 90%, one thing i miss i the music. Currently im tryin to use the Amarok audio-player, but it wont play my mp3 files.
I found a few answers when i googled for a solution, the mmost common one i found was to install the "gstreamer0.8-mad" package, and this is where my real problem starts.
I cant find this package:/ I can only seem to find "gstreamer0.8-tools";which i cant even install...
I have been googling and looking through forums but havent really found any answer, atleast any that i could understand:P
So it would be awesome if someone could lend me a hand on how to solve this problem? :)

Hi and welcome - I had a 'play' with amarok earlier tonight - it was not happy - wouldn't load my mp3 music files etc.
So, I went and got Audacious2 -- works like a dream :-)
Applications --> Ubuntu Software Center --> Sound & Video
(I have a low threshold of 'sod it - I'll go and get a programme that works' level for any packages that don't go get their dependencies when gotten via the likes of software center, or synaptics)
Phill.

presence1960
December 4th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Hello!

With the Medibuntu repositories enabled open a terminal and run:

sudo apt-get install w32codecsfor 32 bit ubuntu

OR

sudo apt-get install w64codecsfor 64 bit Ubuntu

This will allow playback of MP3, WMA, Real and Apple QuickTime Files in Ubuntu.

P.S. I always do this after an install:

Medibutu stands for Multimedia, Entertainment & Distractions In Ubuntu and is a repository of packages that cannot be included in Ubuntu due to legal reasons. We need to add this repository to enable MP3, DVD playback, install certain codecs etc.

Take a terminal and enter:

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/jaunty.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update

for the red "jaunty" above just substitute your ubuntu version for "jaunty".

Now we’ll enable all repositories (including Universe and Multiverse repositories) that Ubuntu provides. Take a terminal and enter:

sudo sed -i -e "s/# deb/deb/g" /etc/apt/sources.list && sudo apt-get update

2. Enable Playback of Encrypted DVDs

Once the Medibuntu repository has been added as said above, take a terminal and enter:

sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2

3. Playing MP3, WMA, Real and Apple QuickTime Files in Ubuntu

Once the Medibuntu repository has been added as said above, take a terminal and enter:

For a 32 bit machine:

sudo apt-get install w32codecs

For a 64 bit machine:

sudo apt-get install w64codecs

For a PPC machine:

sudo apt-get install ppc-codecs

phillw
December 4th, 2009, 01:10 AM
With the Medibuntu repositories enabled open a terminal and run:

sudo apt-get install w32codecsfor 32 bit ubuntu

OR

sudo apt-get install w64codecsfor 64 bit Ubuntu

This will allow playback of MP3, WMA, Real and Apple QuickTime Files in Ubuntu

Now, you'll have to remind even me, where do i do that from ?

Phill.

presence1960
December 4th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Now, you'll have to remind even me, where do i do that from ?

Phill.

see the P.S. I added to my original post

wojox
December 4th, 2009, 01:20 AM
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Should help as well.

phillw
December 4th, 2009, 01:42 AM
see the P.S. I added to my original post

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/karmic.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get updateAhhhh...... Now I recall why I hate adding repositries

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 9.10 _Karmic Koala_ - Release Candidate i386 (20091020.3)/dists/karmic/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
I think I remember how to turn off my cd !!!

/edit NOW I deffinately remember why I hate messing with repositiries --- there goes my Update Manager :-(

Phill.

phillw
December 4th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Failed to fetch http://download.bitdefender.com/repos/deb/dists/bitdefender/non-free/i18n/Translation-en_GB.bz2
Failed to fetch http://download.bitdefender.com/repos/deb/dists/bitdefender/Release
Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1)/dists/jaunty/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1)/dists/jaunty/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Any ideas ?

phillw
December 4th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Failed to fetch http://download.bitdefender.com/repos/deb/dists/bitdefender/non-free/i18n/Translation-en_GB.bz2
Failed to fetch http://download.bitdefender.com/repos/deb/dists/bitdefender/Release
Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1)/dists/jaunty/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1)/dists/jaunty/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
Any ideas ?

/edit never mind https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu#Removing%20&%20Disabling%20Repositories

I think just downloading Audacious2 is the method i will advise. ;)

Phill.

Hath1
December 4th, 2009, 02:58 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu, but I was already a big fan of VLC Media Player from my Windows experience, and it's available right from the Ubuntu Software Center, so you might give that a try if you haven't already got it working with the other suggestions (or even if you have, as VLC is completely self-contained).

phillw
December 4th, 2009, 03:02 AM
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extrasShould help as well.

Thanks - that one went smoothly :-)

Phill.

fr3w
December 4th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Fist of all I'd like to thank you all for your help and suggestions :)
But unfortunately none of them worked for me :/
I'm able to play mp3 from just about all audio-players accept Amarok, so I'm starting to think this problem is directly related to Amarok?
And I also thought that perhaps it is a repository thing that is making me unable to find the "gstreamer0.8-mad" package?
Hopefully someone can clear all this up for me :P

fr3w
December 5th, 2009, 12:22 PM
-bump-