PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Having trouble getting my Eee PC 2G Surf to boot Eeebuntu from SD card

merrymoll
December 4th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Evenin' all!

The OS on my little Eee PC 2G Surf recently went gaga, so I installed Eeebuntu NBR via USB. As the hard drive only has 2G it wasn't big enough to contain the new OS, so I copied the boot to my 4G sd card, which works fine.

However - I can't seem to get the machine to boot automatically from the sd card - I have to hit 'Esc' as soon as I turn it on and manually direct it to boot from the sd card - otherwise it just tries to boot from the hard drive.

Can anyone advise me on how to change it so it automatically boots from the sd? I'm a linux/ubuntu newbie so I'll need VERY detailed instructions, especially of what to type if I need to do anything in the terminal.

Thanking you in advance!

winotree
December 4th, 2009, 03:14 AM
On your device does F2 open the BIOS like mine? If so, change the boot order so your USB is priority one like so:

Press F2 at ASUS splash screen; press Boot; press or open Boot Device Priority. Make changes using simple directions in lower right corner [assuming your device is similar to mine]. Press Esc then F10 to save and exit. I think there's one last screen marked OK -- press enter and it'll re-boot.

It'd be a good idea to double-check by shutting down and restarting your device before claiming success. ;)

mrawlings
December 4th, 2009, 03:16 AM
yeyee

merrymoll
December 4th, 2009, 04:09 AM
On your device does F2 open the BIOS like mine? If so, change the boot order so your USB is priority one like so:

Press F2 at ASUS splash screen; press Boot; press or open Boot Device Priority. Make changes using simple directions in lower right corner [assuming your device is similar to mine]. Press Esc then F10 to save and exit. I think there's one last screen marked OK -- press enter and it'll re-boot.

It'd be a good idea to double-check by shutting down and restarting your device before claiming success. ;)

Thanks for your advice! Unfortunately, it's not working; I got into BIOS (it goes there, as you said, when pressing F2 on startup), adjusted the boot device priority and rebooted - but it came up with "Error 15". Rebooting and pressing "Esc" to change the boot device seems to be the only way, so far, to get the OS started.

sgosnell
December 4th, 2009, 04:56 AM
You put the bootloader for Eeebuntu on the SSD. Bad idea. See this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351) for instructions for reinstalling grub on the SD card. You'll have to boot from the USB install drive, then make sure you find the SD card, which is probably sdb, NOT sda. Sda is the SSD.

winotree
December 4th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Ouch! But thanks to sgosnell for the quick catch! :D Hope to read tomorrow that you're OK.

merrymoll
March 9th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Just a quick note to you all that I managed to install the stripped down Basic version of EEEbuntu. It's up and running just fine. Thanks so much to everyone for all your help and advice! :p

I'll mark this thread as "solved"