PDA

View Full Version : Quick Survey Please

wmeyer3
December 4th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I am doing a research paper and have to reccomend the use of an open source operating system to a general user. I am trying to get a gernal sence of what you guys use it for and how you use it. If you would take this survey it would be very helpful.

1. List the top 5 features you feel open source operating systems have over Mac/windows.
2. What do you use open source operating systems for?
3. What operating system(s) do you currently use?
4. What ways are GUI’s limited to a terminal interface? Beneficial?
5. What makes open source operating systems more difficult for the average computer user? Easier?
6. How much have you paid for Open Source software? (not a trick question, it is used commercially, and you can pay for support.)
7. Do you know any apply C coding language?

Whanks in advance Wes, -New user

cariboo
December 4th, 2009, 04:55 AM
a bump for the move.

qalimas
December 4th, 2009, 05:04 AM
1. List the top 5 features you feel open source operating systems have over Mac/windows.
Security, lack of malware, ease of compiling code (for example getting the latest Wesnoth development release), choice of GUI, customization (you canchange the code if you don't liek the way something is done)

I use it for everything... I play games, type documents, program. I use it at work to fix Windows computers

Arch at home and work, and I have the RoR server from turnkeylinux (it is based on Ubuntu server) setup in my living room for Rails development (I wrote the web app we use at my company in Rails)

I do not understand the question

5. What makes open source operating systems more difficult for the average computer user? Easier?
There is nothign more difficult about it, with the exception of the learning curve. Starting out with no computer knowledge, neither is harder than the other.

6. How much have you paid for Open Source software? (not a trick question, it is used commercially, and you can pay for support.)
I haven't paid to use any of it, but I've donated to several small projects, and bought Arch Linux swag from their shop to help with funds.

Again I do not understand the question? Do you mean do I know C? I know some.

Grifulkin
December 4th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I am doing a research paper and have to reccomend the use of an open source operating system to a general user. I am trying to get a gernal sence of what you guys use it for and how you use it. If you would take this survey it would be very helpful.

1. Customization, Free as in beer(if you choose the right distro), Far better for servers, the massive amounts of choice of which distro to use, and it's not Windows/Mac
2. Everything except for games, and skype. My webcam doesn't work right on linux.
3. Arch, Windows XP, Ubuntu.
5. Harder, it's not windows therefore they aren't used to it. Easier, because once it is set up you are golden.
6. Zero dollars
7. I know no coding at all, in any language. Except for a smidge of HTML.

Hwæt
December 4th, 2009, 05:14 AM

Community support, quick bug fixes, higher security, no EULAs, the freedom to redistribute them as I wish.

Games (Such as RuneScape and little flash based games), Pixel Art, Vectors, Random Graphics, Photography, Music (It's all legally bought, I still have the receipts), Programming in Python, Writing HTML/CSS webpages, homework, and Internet Surfing.

Ubuntu 9.10

In a GUI you have to search for a specific button in a sometimes over-complicated user interface, whereas in a terminal, all you have to do is enter a few simple words, and if you need help, you can just type in "man <program>".

Easier:

Less malware related headaches
Easier to customize
Easier to use terminal-based commands
Easier to find trustworthy software (package managers)
Compiling software
Programming

More difficult:

The learning curve the terminal requires, if you want to use it
Working around obscure and sometimes one-of-a-kind bugs
Getting certain programs to run
Getting some hardware to work

I've never paid for FOSS software, although, I have bought some merchandise from the Ubuntu Store to help them out a bit.

I do not use C, I'd rather use python. Although, when I did do C, the kdevelop IDE and gcc were always great.

BenAshton24
December 4th, 2009, 05:19 AM
1. Stability, security, usability, configurability and awesomeness :)
2. Everything from programming to graphic design, word processing to web servers.
3. Ubuntu 9.10 & Arch Linux.
4. With a GUI you can spend much longer going though screen after screen and if you are a quick typer then it is a waste of time compared to typing a quick command. Yes it is beneficial to have both CLI and GUI programs.
5. If you aren't prepared to learn something new then Linux is going to be difficult, especially for an ex-(windows | Mac) user. But if you are prepared to put the effort in then you will pick it up very quickly. I started using Linux when I was 14ish and picked up the basics in a matter of weeks.
6. £0.00 although I hope to donate some money to different open source projects when I get a paypal sorted out
7. As for programming languages, I know C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript and a few others but not quite as well as the those 4. I also know CSS & HTML and frequently design websites, hence the PHP & JavaScript. I know you only asked about C but I thought I'd give you a full list just in-case.

(I didn't understand question 4 so I had a guess at what you meant)

Hope this helps you with your paper :)
Ben.

blueshiftoverwatch
December 4th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Free as in cost, most of the time.

Ease of porting software to different architectures instead of waiting for the devs to get around to it. Especially during this transitional period where where most people are or will be switching from 32 bit over to 64 bit.

Greater variety of choice in software. If someone doesn't like the way an application is being developed he can fork the project. But this can also be a disadvantage as it can result in fragmentation, incompatibility, and resources being wasted by continually reinventing the wheel. But I think the advantages usually outweigh the disadvantages.

Bugs and security holes can be quickly identified and fixed.

All of the standard functions you'd expect out of a desktop OS

Ubuntu, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows 7, and Mac OSX

I don't exactly understand the question.

Easier: Less malware related headaches and a much more mature CLI than your going to get with Windows, if your into that sort of thing. Although since OSX is Unix-like their CLI is just as mature as Linux's.

More difficult: Having to do things like manually edit text files and use the CLI instead of the GUI a lot of tasks. And the fact of many people's favorite application for X activity doesn't run on Unix-like OS's, either because of it's relatively small marketshare in the desktop market or because of the Unix-like environment being somewhat fragmented and therefore harder to develop for than Windows.

None, as I'm a desktop user and the Internet is all the support I need.

No.

blueshiftoverwatch
December 4th, 2009, 07:52 AM
edit: double post

gnomeuser
December 4th, 2009, 08:41 AM

1. Security, openness, freedom, involvement and zero cost.
2. It's my desktop system, has been for +10 years.
3. Ubuntu
4. GUIs make things accessible, easy to use and internationalized which gives them an edge over console apps in my mind. They also support certain features such as animations to make things both more userfriendly and fun to use.
5. A preinstalled Windows system on an OEM machine is likely to work since the drivers are installed for the user but a barebones Windows install doesn't. Linux on the other hand supports more hardware out of the box than any OS, regardless of what you do it will work after the install. I think this makes Linux much easier. Additionally it's translated into many languages that Windows is not available.
6. I have donated a number of times, the most I paid for an open source product is probably the 50$ I donated to the Yo Frankie! project to help bring quality games and tools to create games including their content into openness. I don't need a support contract but if I did I would happily pay for it and would recommend the services of a number of vendors I have worked with to others.
7. I know C, I detest C. I do like C# though.

madnessjack
December 4th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Enthusiastic and all round better community support (not to mention the cost of it :P), it's price (overall), ability to extend/personalise, easier to acquire, source code availability.

Music composition, arrangement, recording, production and mastering. Web design, development, testing and deployment (although design wise I struggle - too used to Photoshop and i find GIMP impossible). Also browsing the Internet, chatting, listening to music.

Ubuntu Studio Karmic, another computer Ubuntu Karmic/Windows XP dual boot, and Windows XP at work.

GUI's use less physical effort (pressing keys as appose to moving a mouse). GUI's are easier to navigate. GUI's are far easier to use first time around (no guessing or having to remember commands).

The biggest barriers are familiarity and stability. Often open source operating systems need tweaking for each computer as they were manufactured for Windows systems and tweaked at production level. People don't understand what they don't know, and they all know Windows. Apple branding also makes average users feel safe and/or in a familiar environment.

Nill. I do pay about £3 a month for web hosting with a company that uses FOSS.

No (I do do basic Adobe Flash ActionScript, JavaScript and PHP). Would probably learn in the future.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 4th, 2009, 12:18 PM
High school, college, university level?

Anyway, always glad to help.

* Strong sense of community.
* Giving a helping hand with computer questions.
* Leadership is motivated to a large degree by the common good.
* Many highly talented and gifted individuals developing aspects of Linux.
* The Ubuntu operating system.

* Testing.
* Troubleshooting.
* Writing.

* I may test other distros, but I only have one Linux operating system, Ubuntu. I have always used Windows, always the latest.

* GUIs are absolutely essential. Terminals serve a function, but accessibility dictates the existance of GUIs where applicable.

* Difficult, in so much as Linux is not windows, where windows has been over represented in terms of defining what an operating system is.
* Easier, in that Linux belongs to the user and everything that implies, eg customization, freedom to choose.

* No need, but am prepared to do so should the need ever present itself.

* Not a programmer. My computer skills are elsewhere.

clanky
December 4th, 2009, 01:41 PM

- free as in beer, meaning that when you need to re-install and you backup CD has been eaten by the dog and your damned if you know where that license key went you don't have to go and buy a OS.

- The easy availability of software, although this only applies if there is software available for what you want do do. The free availability of qCAD for instance is worthless if qCAD will not do what you need it to do.

For personal use, nothing - I can't do all the things I need to in Linux / open source so I keep all my personal computing use to windows and only use open source for work and on my own time for learning how to use it for work.

Red Hat Linux / Ubuntu / Win XP / Win 7 / Win 2000SE / Win 98

Do you mean "linked", not everyone wants to learn terminal commands, GUI's are much more intuitive and use plain language rather than a form of programming code.

Familiarity is the main thing, most people learnt their computing in a Windows environment so Windows feels more intuitive.

For personal use nothing as there is not the software to make it useful to me, the software I use at work came with the hardware, the hardware is $millions.

limited knowledge of C++

hessiess
December 4th, 2009, 02:23 PM
List the top 5 features you feel open source operating systems have over Mac/windows.

Extreme level of customisability, not tied to the mouse (extremely good on laptops, can be a lot faster), standardised build system (GNU autotools), dependency handaling package manager (one command, install anything) and the price.

What do you use open source operating systems for?

Absolutely everything.

What operating system(s) do you currently use?

Arch Linux.

What ways are GUI’s limited to a terminal interface? Beneficial?

Command lines and keyboard driven applications (think Blender Gvim Xmonad etc) are substantilly faster than mouse driven apps and work much better on laptops.

What makes open source operating systems more difficult for the average computer user? Easier?

Lack of general knowledge of there existence.

How much have you paid for Open Source software? (not a trick question, it is used commercially, and you can pay for support.)
£0.

Do you know any apply C coding language?
Yes.
Whanks in advance Wes, -New user[/QUOTE]

Marvin666
December 4th, 2009, 03:12 PM
1. free, stable, never has to shut down, alot more people can devlop it, secure
2. all computer usages
3. Jaunty Xubuntu
4. Terminal posses raw power, usable for sysadmin tasks, but a GUI is more freindly, and easy for everyday use
5. Companys only make software that runs on windows and mac.
6. To date, I have yet to pay a cent for any peice of software, or an os.
7. No

wmeyer3
December 4th, 2009, 03:16 PM
You guys are being really helpful. I greatly appriciate it.

Community College setting.

ZankerH
December 4th, 2009, 03:39 PM

I'll take it you're referring to Free Software when you say "open source". The main advantages are, of course, the four Software Freedoms that define Free software - and, given that you're apparently not familiar with Free Software, you may want to read up (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) on that. Other advantages over proprietary software have already been noted, less malware and more difficult to sneak malware in in the first place, not bound to corporate digital restrictions management schemes, etc...

College work (information theory, mathematics), experimenting with programming and server infrastructure, backing up my data, regular web use (www, email, irc).

GNU/Linux, more specifically, Arch, Debian, Fedora and Ubuntu software distributions of the GNU/Linux operating system.

If you know how to use them, the terminal and the shell can be very powerful tools, and can help you accomplish routine tasks quicker and more efficiently than a gui, while being less repetitive. If you don't know anything about command shells, you should probably stick to the gui if you're not willing to learn.

Some consider them to be "more difficult" than a certain proprietary OS because they're familiar with it, and, as we all know, people hate having to learn something new. For a person of average intelligence, the difficulty in switching from a windows OS to, say, GNU/Linux, should be zero. Unfortunately, it is a statistical fact that 50% of human population fall below that average.

I bought a copy of Mandriva for a friend who insisted on having a boxed copy once. I've also ordered my share of free Ubuntu CDs, does that count?

Only the basics in C, but I am fluent in bash, python and perl.

Mornedhel
December 4th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Free (beer), free (speech), low-maintenance once installed, powerful, faster.

Both my Ph.D. in CS and my free time. Main usage would be reading scientific articles, writing papers, coding Matlab modules and running them with Octave. Secondary usage is messing around. I spend most of my time between a PDF reader, Emacs, and a web brower.

Ubuntu Karmic Koala, possibly moving away at Christmas. No other operating systems installed at the time.
I have access to a Debian (Lenny) server I use for backup, low-traffic websites, and trivial needs.

Don't understand the question, will attempt to answer anyway: GUIs are limited when some degree of scripting or automation is necessary, because they can only help with a limited set of use cases.

I prefer the terminal in general for menial tasks (moving files around), but when a lot of information must be displayed at once a GUI becomes necessary (and, yes, ncurses and console-based applications count as having a GUI for me, and so does Emacs).

You have to be willing to learn and think by yourself. Ubuntu seems to be trying to remove that prerequisite, something I do not entirely agree with (to be precise, I don't think it should be necessary).
On the other hand, once that mindset is acquired, the possibilities are endless (but arguably, the user does not fall into the current definition of "average computer user" anymore).

Technically, I have bought two FOSS-related magazine issues that came with CDs, so around 10€. I have never paid for support. I have donated around 30€ to the Gnome project. I have not factored indirect costs into my answer.

Apply C ?... I know the syntax of C and C++, but that alone does not make me a programmer. I can code very basic C++. I have some background in development and project management, and I know Perl, Java, Matlab, some Lisp, a bit of Python and Erlang.

fromthehill
December 4th, 2009, 04:25 PM
no target for viruses/malware
no costs, no hassle with activation
it only does what I tell it to do (that depends on the distro, but at least it isn't going go run programs or updates without asking)
I can change it to my liking
you can laugh at people when their wga-activation crack stops working and can't start windows (nothing wrong with windows but wga is a disaster when you don't have a license)

I do everything on an open-source system

ubuntu-server, arch-linux (and windows7 in an virtual machine)

CLI makes easier troubleshooting for people who can't see your screen, with a gui you have to know exactly how a program looks like and hope the user can find the exact button you want them to press.

5. What makes open source operating systems more difficult for the average computer user? Easier?an open source system provides too much choice for some people. a distro like ubuntu does help users by making the choices for them but the mayor difference is still there: it doesn't work exactly like windows/mac

not yet but I'm planning to donate something or buy some offical cd's

not yet

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 4th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Community College setting.

Let us know how you go with the mark and comments.

All the best with this!

NB perhaps even post your final project, eg via imageshack, as we who have contributed may well be interested at how it all panned out. Cheers.

RiceMonster
December 4th, 2009, 08:33 PM

Package Manager, Workspaces, flexibility, price, free

Most things, except when I need a windows program. I also use windows on my work desktop.

Arch Linux, Fedora, and Windows XP

They serve different purposes, and are both better at some things and worse at others. Generally, terminal for administration and configuration tasks and GUI for general purpose stuff.

Difficult: Lack of application and driver support, a face past changing development style that can cause regressions, and lack of familiarity. Easier? Price and flexibility.

Personally, nothing.

Yes, C and C++ and some other languages like JCL, COBOL, VB.NET, etc

squilookle
December 5th, 2009, 12:27 AM

(In the order I thought of them: not in the order of importance or anything like that)
1. Choice/customisability
2. Freedom
3. Price
4. Big software repos
5. Security

General web browsing, playing music, web development, web server, general tinkering.

Crunchbang 9.04
Ubuntu Server 8.04
Android

(I'm going to install Arch this week too)

The terminal: once you are used to it can be alot faster: I find extracting a zip file at the command line in Linux much faster than doing the same using winzip on my Windows computer at work. I'm also fascinated by the fact I can redirect command line output nto other commands and text files - not aware of any gui that does that - atleast without third party software.

Guis are beneficial as you do not have to learn the system. You can just dive in. Both are needed.

More difficult:
Installing drivers/flash/codecs
Learning curve (I am assuming the average computer user is familiar with Windows)

Easier:
Not having to install anti virus
Not having to install other software from hundreds of discs

My first experience with Linux was a boxed copy of Suse Linux 9.1, I paid £30 for that.

No

chris200x9
December 5th, 2009, 01:07 AM

1. lighter, customizable, sense of empowerment, cheaper, more sensable ethos.
2 and 3. arch for everything on my laptop and I have a freebsd webserver
4. ssh...enough said.
5. It's easier once you gt used to it.