PDA

View Full Version : RedHat trying to "scare" Solaris users?

jdrodrig
December 3rd, 2009, 11:20 PM
I ran into this email advertisement from red hat,
"Even if Oracle completely embraces the platform and provides the investment, commitment, and expertise in future revisions that customers require, smart customers are considering alternatives at this critical juncture.

Red Hat offers the sensible low-risk, high value alternative. Red Hat Enterprise Linux has been successfully replacing traditional UNIX"

http://www.redhat.com/migrate/solaris_to_linux/?sc_cid=70160000000I9mQAAS

But I wonder, isn't RedHat more likely to go bust/bankruptcy, than Sun or Oracle would ever be! I think it is not a lower risk for sure..

Greg
December 3rd, 2009, 11:32 PM
1) Red Hat is extremely successful

2) The point isn't Oracle going out of business. The point is that Oracle just acquired Sun, so the future is uncertain as far as Solaris goes. We don't know how Solaris is going to be handled in the future, and Red Hat is pointing out that while this is uncertain, it would be smart to at least be thinking about a contingency plan in case things go south. I see nothing wrong with this.

ZankerH
December 4th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Their argument has the equivalent eloquence of "SUN IS DED, PLZ TO USE REDHAT NAO!!1".

BslBryan
December 4th, 2009, 01:14 AM
It's just business. If you look at Oracle's stock (http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3AORCL) and compare it with Red Hat's (Enter RHT in the Compare field), the periods of time that they are more successful or not seem more or less the same, though RedHat's sales are nearly always in greater volume in comparison (or at least that's what it amounts to, since these charts only reflect stock, but stock sales in this kind of business are usually defined by good or bad product sale.)

I'm certainly not entirely sure that RedHat wants to "scare" Solaris users, but they are out to make money.

Dragonbite
December 4th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Just sounds like Red Hat is trying to get customers from competitors. Any different than "hi, I'm a Mac" commercials?