PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Customizing desktop fonts

sideburns
December 3rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
My sister is running the latest Ubunutu, and has just changed her wallpaper. Now, the labels on her icons don't show up as well as they used to, so she needs to change their color. Alas neither of us can find where that's done any more. (I use Fedora, also with Gnome, and can't find it on my box either.) I'd appreciate a pointer to wherever it is we need to go to get this corrected. Thanx in advance for any help.

blackened
December 3rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
My sister is running the latest Ubunutu, and has just changed her wallpaper. Now, the labels on her icons don't show up as well as they used to, so she needs to change their color. Alas neither of us can find where that's done any more. (I use Fedora, also with Gnome, and can't find it on my box either.) I'd appreciate a pointer to wherever it is we need to go to get this corrected. Thanx in advance for any help.

The search box is your friend, this has been answered many times before.

Open gedit with an empty file, then paste the following text into it:

style "desktop-icon" {
NautilusIconContainer::frame_text = 1
text[NORMAL] = "#FFFFFF"
NautilusIconContainer::normal_alpha = 44
}
#class "GtkWidget" style "desktop-icon"
widget_class "*DesktopIcon*" style "desktop-icon"

Change the hex code value of the normal text entry to the color you want.

Save that file as ~/.gtkrc-2.0 then log out and back in (or kill and restart nautilus) to see the effect.

sideburns
December 3rd, 2009, 10:20 PM
Change the hex code value of the normal text entry to the color you want..

Neither my sister nor I have any graphics experience and have no idea what hex code means what color. For us, and probably about 90% of all Linux users, this information is utterly useless. In Winderz, you can select the color for the icon labels from a table; why can't you in Gnome?

Raffles10
December 4th, 2009, 01:23 AM
You can install gnome-color-chooser, makes life a lot easier. :D

sudo apt-get install gnome-color-chooser

wojox
December 4th, 2009, 01:28 AM
That's really good info.

Hex colors: #FFFFFF = White #000000 = Black

Hex Colors (http://www.december.com/html/spec/color.html)

sideburns
December 4th, 2009, 01:38 AM
OK. As it turns out, I already have that on my Fedora box and was able to test it. I'll pass it on to my sister, ASAP. Thanx!

blackened
December 4th, 2009, 07:57 AM
...have no idea what hex code means what color. For us, and probably about 90% of all Linux users, this information is utterly useless...

I was, of course, trying to help you accomplish what you wanted in a way that I know to work. Sorry if you took it as off-putting.

And your assumption that 90% of Linux users have no idea what hex code is would, I think, prove patently false if put to a proper (and very unscientific) forum poll.

You can install gnome-color-chooser, makes life a lot easier. :D

sudo apt-get install gnome-color-chooser

Heh, nice catch. Never seen that one before, oddly enough.

sideburns
December 4th, 2009, 08:19 AM
And your assumption that 90% of Linux users have no idea what hex code is would, I think, prove patently false if put to a proper (and very unscientific) forum poll.

Try not to take things out of context next time. I said that 90% of all Linux users wouldn't know which hex code belonged to which color, not that they wouldn't know what a hex code is.

blackened
December 4th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Try not to take things out of context next time. I said that 90% of all Linux users wouldn't know which hex code belonged to which color, not that they wouldn't know what a hex code is.

I didn't take it out of context, but simply misread it. Right you are about few people knowing which hex codes belong to which color. In fact I would put it closer to 100%. I've been using them for years and could probably give you 5 to 10, and most of those would be shades of gray. And from back in my days of dealing with crappy binary transparency in Windows there's the lovely magenta (#FF00FF).

I really didn't mean anything malign by my comments, quite the contrary really. Guess I just come off as gruff in print. Maybe I lack proper emoticons. :D

Glad you got it sorted though, now that we're fully off-topic.