PDA

View Full Version : good idea?

chris200x9
December 3rd, 2009, 08:44 PM
Lately I've been very interested in freeBSD, I have set up a server as a learning experience. I have been pondering ideas and I am thinking of creating a social network, I believe my approach is unique because all of the networking sites now focus on keeping in touch with old friends not meeting new online friends. My idea is a social network based on buddy press integrated into a huge forum (the likes of lws at its peak) In essanmce it would be a forum much like this in style but every one would have their own page like a forum profile except more in depth. Good idea?

ZankerH
December 3rd, 2009, 08:47 PM
no

endBc
December 3rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
A waste of time ..

koenn
December 3rd, 2009, 09:11 PM
do it just for fun & to learn how stuff works.
see how it turns out.

tuxeee
December 3rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
sounds alright but i doubt people would want to share their personal info on such forums since i dont see a need. I do however see some good points in having your own wall were to post your setup maybe some clips, or some tutorials but google seems to have covered all that

chris200x9
December 3rd, 2009, 09:18 PM
sounds alright but i doubt people would want to share their personal info on such forums since i dont see a need.

Yea, I was thinking more like hey this is what music I like or these are my interests and the ability to "friend" people and maybe start groups or something. Not so much like here is my name, my school, etc.

edit: All around a centeralized forum that is big enough to have discussion about almost *everything*, more of a sense of community and knowing people (if only superficually)

pastalavista
December 3rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Yea, I was thinking more like hey this is what music I like or these are my interests and the ability to "friend" people and maybe start groups or something. Not so much like here is my name, my school, etc.

edit: All around a centeralized forum that is big enough to have discussion about almost *everything*, more of a sense of community and knowing people (if only superficually)

What you're describing is Xanga (http://www.xanga.com).

chris200x9
December 3rd, 2009, 10:32 PM
What you're describing is Xanga (http://www.xanga.com).

a day late and a dollar short :( oh well it'll still be fun imma do it anyway

t0p
December 3rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
This won't be much of a learning experience unless you can attract people to join your site. How are you going to do that? (Please don't turn this into a recruiting station.)

chris200x9
December 3rd, 2009, 10:44 PM
This won't be much of a learning experience unless you can attract people to join your site. How are you going to do that? (Please don't turn this into a recruiting station.)

sigs on forums, friends...I dunno...I'm not going to spam though if thats what you are worried about.

earthpigg
December 3rd, 2009, 10:47 PM

disagree. if you build it, they will come.

maybe start is a facebook app, that is capable of working even without being at facebook.

like http://farmville.com/

give it it's own strict permission controls, so users can choose what is imported from their facebook profile.