PDA

View Full Version : bluetooth

cameronizeme
December 3rd, 2009, 08:33 PM
i have one of the acer aspire one netbooks. the d250. when it was first puchased it came with windows xp sp3. once the mcafee expired i put unr 9.10 on the machine. eventhough i did not have the need for bluetooth at the time i was aware that it did have bluetooth and that it did work under windows. now with unr and a bluetooth phone i wanted to set it up under ubuntu. my problem is that when i try to open the bluetooth it tells me that there are no adapters plugged in. i do have gnokme bluetooth installed and am at a complete loss. please help!!!

stalkier
December 3rd, 2009, 09:10 PM
i have one of the acer aspire one netbooks. the d250. when it was first puchased it came with windows xp sp3. once the mcafee expired i put unr 9.10 on the machine. eventhough i did not have the need for bluetooth at the time i was aware that it did have bluetooth and that it did work under windows. now with unr and a bluetooth phone i wanted to set it up under ubuntu. my problem is that when i try to open the bluetooth it tells me that there are no adapters plugged in. i do have gnokme bluetooth installed and am at a complete loss. please help!!!

I have the same issue with regular 9.10 and my hp mini 110. I also tryed a BT Dongle with no effects.

Land Rover Series 3
December 3rd, 2009, 09:47 PM
Hi,
I don't know if this is any help or not (or even if I am right about this or not), but I have an Acer Aspire 5680 laptop which supposedly has Bluetooth, but I could never get it to work (not that I'm bothered, because I have no use for Bluetooth anyway, but I thought I would give it a wizz with my PDA just for fun). After doing a lot of searching about the net, the conclusion I came to is that the Aspire 5680 is "Bluetooth enabled", but doesn't automatically come with the necessary hardware installed to actually use it. I.e install the necessary hardware and it should then work.

As I say, that's my understanding for my Acer laptop, but I may be wrong, and I'm certainly no expert.

Are you sure your laptop has the necessary hardware for Bluetooth (the aerial bits)? Did Bluetooth work with XP before?

handyman510a
December 3rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
I us a cheat usb bluetooth and run XP and ubuntu 9.10 and it works just fine:D:D

cameronizeme
December 4th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Hi,
I don't know if this is any help or not (or even if I am right about this or not), but I have an Acer Aspire 5680 laptop which supposedly has Bluetooth, but I could never get it to work (not that I'm bothered, because I have no use for Bluetooth anyway, but I thought I would give it a wizz with my PDA just for fun). After doing a lot of searching about the net, the conclusion I came to is that the Aspire 5680 is "Bluetooth enabled", but doesn't automatically come with the necessary hardware installed to actually use it. I.e install the necessary hardware and it should then work.

As I say, that's my understanding for my Acer laptop, but I may be wrong, and I'm certainly no expert.

Are you sure your laptop has the necessary hardware for Bluetooth (the aerial bits)? Did Bluetooth work with XP before?

hi,
yeah im fairly certain that is was working with xp. i could activate it and the light would come on and say it was searching for devices. i just dont know whats going on. how can i check to see if the aerial bits are installed just to be 100% certain.

Land Rover Series 3
December 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM
hi,
yeah im fairly certain that is was working with xp. i could activate it and the light would come on and say it was searching for devices. i just dont know whats going on. how can i check to see if the aerial bits are installed just to be 100% certain.
Well, I remember with mine that the little blue Bluetooth light would come on, and it would say that it was searching for devices, but it would never find anything because it never had a physical aerial fitted. In other words, the Bluetooth software ran fine, but couldn't do anything about the lack of an aerial.

I don't think I'm going to be much use to you to be honest, since I don't know enough about this subject. But you could maybe try contacting your pc manufacturer, or their website, to find out if your pc actually has all the hardware it needs to start with. On Windows XP you could try "Control Panel>Settings>System>Device Manager" I think (from memory) to see what it says about your harware and drivers. Also useful are a couple of programs called msinfo.exe and msconfig.exe. They should be on your system but M$ doesn't want you to know that by default.

There's also a Windows XP registry tweak that will cause the Device Manager to display ALL devices (as some are hidden by default). Do a Dogpile search for "XP registry tweaks" or try ElderGeek or WinGuide sites.

Other than that, perhaps someone who knows more about this than I do will be able to post some suggestions...