PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installation goes right to login screen -- very odd

Anton32828
December 3rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
I built a PC from scratch last night and tried to use a Live CD to install Ubuntu 9.10 desktop edition.
The PC has an unformatted disk, an Athlon II processor and 2GB of memory. It's very bare-bones and basic.

The live CD booted and gave me the usual menu. I selected "Install Ubuntu." Instead of pogressing to the disk-partition menu, it proceeded to load an Ubuntu desktop login screen and ask me for a userID and password.

Has anyone seen this behavior before?

I switched to an Ubuntu server CD which behaved normally. Unfortunately that particular CD had corrupt files on it so the kernel couldn't load.

I will try again tonight after burning a new image to a USB stick (to eliminate media-corruption considerations), so I'm not really looking for a solution --- I'm just curious if anyone else has seen this behavior. Perhaps it was an error in the LiveCD build on one particular day?

Anton32828
December 4th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Solved --- I had hardware RAID enabled in BIOS but only one hard drive installed. The desktop installer couldn't see the drive, but the server installer could see it. I corrected the RAID setting, wiped the drive clean with a Gparted live CD, and then installed 9.10 desktop from a USB stick without a problem.

Building a PC from scratch is more of an education than I bargained for.... Heh.