PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Tax

followme
February 22nd, 2006, 06:31 AM
Not sure if this is the right forum, couldn't think of anywhere else to put this, please move if necessary.

Turbo Tax - a software that allows you to do your own taxes (USA)

As everyone knows, it's "tax season" here in the US. I've used Turbo Tax for the past few years and now that I'm using Linux, I would like to continue using Turbo Tax on Linux. It's available for MS and Mac, but I didn't find one for Linux.

Is it possible to use on Linux (namely ubuntu)? Has anyone used it with Wine successfully for this tax season? Is there other software options with similar deep features?

Otherwise, I guess it's time to fire up the old WinME box, update, reboot, update, reboot, update........reboot ;)

Stereotypical Rage
February 22nd, 2006, 06:36 AM
TurboTax Online is your best bet.

bionicyeti
February 22nd, 2006, 03:02 PM
I filed my taxes the last 3 years using Turbo Tax online. I love it. Very easy. I did it this year via Ubuntu/Firefox and I did have a few issues with Firefox locking up which has never happened with XP/IE but it was all good in the end.

Master Shake
February 22nd, 2006, 06:08 PM
Another vote for the online version. You don't need to install anything, and they take the fee for it from your refund. No fuss, no muss.

Bionic_Beefpile
February 22nd, 2006, 06:17 PM
I use the online version as well. Nothing to install, cheaper than buying the boxed package (as long as you don't need "Premium" service), and you know you are getting the latest in tax help.

followme
February 22nd, 2006, 09:42 PM
I think I'll look into that online thing. I must've seen it many times but never paid any attention to it.

Although I didn't like reading that firefox froze up. :(

bionicyeti
February 22nd, 2006, 09:53 PM
I think I'll look into that online thing. I must've seen it many times but never paid any attention to it.

Although I didn't like reading that firefox froze up. :(

When it did freeze, I just killed firefox and went back in. The site does a good job of saving all your info and remebering where you were. I lost nothing in the process.

Cysman
February 23rd, 2006, 02:36 AM
Not sure if this is the right forum, couldn't think of anywhere else to put this, please move if necessary.

Turbo Tax - a software that allows you to do your own taxes (USA)

As everyone knows, it's "tax season" here in the US. I've used Turbo Tax for the past few years and now that I'm using Linux, I would like to continue using Turbo Tax on Linux. It's available for MS and Mac, but I didn't find one for Linux.

Is it possible to use on Linux (namely ubuntu)? Has anyone used it with Wine successfully for this tax season? Is there other software options with similar deep features?

Otherwise, I guess it's time to fire up the old WinME box, update, reboot, update, reboot, update........reboot ;)

Another option, if you're willing to pay for it, is to use Cross Over Office, an application written for Linux that allows you to install a number of MS programs on your Linux machine, in many cases it will download the software itself and install it effortlessly. I use Turbo Tax on Ubuntu and it works great with all the features. I also have IE installed (necessary for Turbo Tax to work).

gila_monster
February 23rd, 2006, 03:33 AM
I bought the Windows version, and will install it on my wife's desktop (still runs Windows -- haven't convinced her to make the switch yet).

Those who voted for the online version: Can you file all forms with that? Or is it limited? I'm an engineer, but my wife and I both have non-trivial income from music (we play in about five bands) and other activities. So we end up with lots of schedule C and other assorted rot. I've never seen anything that tells me what I can file with the online version. If any of you know, clue me in.

gila.

MadL
February 28th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Depends which flavor you get (Deluxe, Premier, or Ultimate). If you head over to Intuit's product page (http://turbotax.com/tax_products/online_products.html?source=ttcommain&priorityCode=3025930788) for TurboTax online, you can get a description of which forms are covered by each version -- click on the "Learn More" link for the version you're interested in (looks like Deluxe handles a fair number of forms, including Schedule C).

DavidW2
February 28th, 2006, 06:47 AM
If you have a StateFarm.com account, TurboTax Basic and Deluxe are FREE. Premier is $20. And e-file is free, at least for the first two.
I started mine on my XP machine a couple of weeks ago to get an idea of what I would owe. I'm trying to get back in now on my Linux box and its not letting me in.

Remember, the closer you file to the deadline the higher the price online.

Hey! I got in but by the time I noticed my session had expired. D'oh!

nalmeth
February 28th, 2006, 07:07 AM
work for canadian taxes?

K.Mandla
February 28th, 2006, 07:26 AM
I just finished with the free online version, and had no problems with Firefox at all. I got one popup window at the start, and one at the end, and both tried to tell me I was using the wrong browser. However, I noticed that their list of supported software didn't include Linux. ... :)

Why not? Shouldn't a free tax return go hand-in-hand with a free operating system? :D

skirkpatrick
February 28th, 2006, 02:56 PM
I used Turbo Tax for about the last 5 or 6 years. Somebody on the MoneyDance mailing list turned me on to www.taxact.com. I used the free, basic, online version with Firefox and had no problems. The basic version allows free Federal and free efile. Their deluxe and pro versions are much cheaper than Turbo Tax or Tax Cut.

followme
March 1st, 2006, 03:50 AM
If you have a StateFarm.com account, TurboTax Basic and Deluxe are FREE. Premier is $20. And e-file is free, at least for the first two.

I couldn't find anything about it on statefarm.com, other than an "Alert, TurboTax for Statefarm customers", but no link other than the login and register.

All you have to do is register at statefarm.com and that's it? I have insurance with them for my vehicle.

DavidW2
March 1st, 2006, 04:06 AM
I couldn't find anything about it on statefarm.com, other than an "Alert, TurboTax for Statefarm customers", but no link other than the login and register.

All you have to do is register at statefarm.com and that's it? I have insurance with them for my vehicle.

Yes. Once you login to StateFarm.com there is a link on the left: "File your taxes for FREE!". Its a portal to Turbotax.com. If you need stop and come back later you'll have to go back thru State Farm's site.

MetalMusicAddict
March 1st, 2006, 04:16 AM
TurboTax Online is your best bet.
Ill put in another vote for this. I did 'em the second I got my W-2s. No problem. Already got my money. :)

kev000
April 13th, 2009, 09:03 AM
turbo tax online doesn't work in linux. I couldn't even get it to work using firefox's user agent switcher (couldn't login :( )

samjh
April 13th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I though Turbo Tax was something to avoid (like most tax software).

Personally, I'd rather spend some money on a qualified tax agent or accountant. In Australia, money spent on accountants to do tax returns is tax-deductable.

frogotronic
July 9th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I though Turbo Tax was something to avoid (like most tax software).

Personally, I'd rather spend some money on a qualified tax agent or accountant. In Australia, money spent on accountants to do tax returns is tax-deductable.

yes, but you also have better beer and healthier looking women...

:guitar:

demosthene1
July 9th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I download TaxAct and run it with CrossOver. I like having the software on my computer rather than in the "cloud" when dealing with my taxes. TaxAct is much cheaper than Turbotax. I buy the deluxe TaxAct with state and fed and it is only about $20.