PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I create a double-click style icon for an installed program?

Kizzume
December 3rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
How do I make an installed program be able to be ran via an icon in the panel?

What I mean by this is--if a program is "installed" to where I can go to a shell and run the script that starts the program, or I can double-click the icon once I'm in the folder where the program is, and then select "run in terminal" "display" "cancel" or "run", how can I make that a program that I can just simply double-click and it will open without having to select HOW I want it to open or in a terminal, so it's more like an .exe on Windows, so I can put it in the panel for easy execution?

I have been having issues with Flash in the regular 32bit edition of Firefox that comes with Ubuntu to where I can't use the controls on youtube videos without having to right click several times and sometimes that doesn't even work--so I decided to go for Shiretoko (a beta version of Firefox 64bit Edition, which crashes on the main youtube page [and doesn't crash on individual youtube pages or search results in youtube] but at least I can consistently use the buttons on youtube videos), but I just can't figure out how to make it an easily usable icon that I can put in the panel.

I probably don't know the vocabulary to ask this question the right way, I apologize for that....

richlyn9
December 3rd, 2009, 10:23 AM
right click on the desktop and select create desktop icon thereafter its just choosing the icon image and the program you want to start when its double clicked.

Kizzume
December 3rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
That was not an option, but I tried "create launcher" and that took care of it. Thanks.

richlyn9
December 3rd, 2009, 11:21 AM
your welcome and you may mark this thread as solved!