PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Window border?

shrimpboi13
December 3rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
probably a simple problem:
the window boarder has mysteriously disappeared
and with all my fiddling in the appearance settings i can not locate the source of the discrepancy.

any suggestions appreciated. thankyou in advance.

yossell
December 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
One common way in which this can happen (it happened to me!) is if you are running compiz (i.e. have visual effects enabled) and have somehow unselected 'windows decoration'.

Bring up the compizconfig settings manager (alt+f2 and type 'ccsm' (without quote marks), scroll down to the effects section and make sure the 'windows decoration' box is ticked.

It may not be this so - just to help people narrow down the possible source of the problem - does the problem exist when you go to system->preferences->appearance, choose visual effects and set it to none? Or do the borders reappear?

shrimpboi13
December 3rd, 2009, 12:58 PM
Thank you for the help i am running compiz but it turned out to be caused by the "extra visual effects" setting at system>preferences>appearance>visual effects.

thanks again.

yossell
December 3rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
I'm glad you solved the problem -

I think the 'extra visual effects' runs compiz with a number of effects checked. If you want some extra effects but want your windows wobbly, and other bits of eye-candy, then my earlier might give you a way of running the extra eye candy while retaining your borders.