PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox gone wonky after karmic koala upgrade

blondewarning
December 3rd, 2009, 07:23 AM
Hi all,

After I updated to Karmic Koala, firefox has more or less stopped working. The problems:
1) I can type into the address bar, but hitting enter/pressing 'go' do nothing. The text sits there uselessly.

2) The scrollbar has magically migrated from the right to the left, and doesn't respond to my mouse roller.

3) I can only close tabs if there are ate least three open. If I close the current tab, the page stays there but is not functional. (I can click links and such but they don't do anything.)

4) Bookmarks and History can be used to open websites, but under the History tab the 'Recently Closed Tabs' and 'Recently Closed Windows' options are greyed out. Pressing Home brings me to the Mozilla.org page, not to my normal homepages.

5) When I open Preferences, a blank grey box appears.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling firefox in the program manager (now called software center?), but I'm a bit of a novice and I'm not really familiar with the synaptic package manager. The biggest 'repair' I've ever had to do is reinstalling drivers. I'm using SeaMonkey right now and it is kind of obnoxious, so if anyone knows how to fix this or is having the same problem, please help. Thanks! :)

2coolfool
December 23rd, 2009, 11:09 AM
I just upgraded, and I'm having exactly the same problems.

I managed to fight with it long enough to install chrome, but want to use Firefox. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Kasraa
February 15th, 2010, 10:05 AM
*Exactly* same issues after upgrading to Karmic.
Any ideas/help? I have to remove Karmic and perform a clean install (even maybe another dist) and loosing my installed stuffs is really hard for me :(
Thanks (;

Kasraa
February 15th, 2010, 02:11 PM
The problem is a firefox extension, "Switch Proxy"!
Just remove it and everything will be ok.