PDA

View Full Version : My new portfolio has launched!! -- brettalton.com

altonbr
December 3rd, 2009, 07:12 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm a dedicated user of this forum and of Ubuntu, so I'm not spamming (well, unwarrantedly -- is that a word?).

I just launched my new web dev/programming/design/ubuntu portfolio at http://brettalton.com.

It features some programming (shell scripts) I've created for Ubuntu, designs I've created for websites, photography and computer services I offer.

If you're interested in web development, I explain the technologies I used for my website on my 'About Me' page.

Please check it out and let me know what you think!!

-- MSIE 6 not approved ;) --

Kdar
December 3rd, 2009, 07:14 AM
+Migration (to Ubuntu)

Nice!!! ;)

Nice site design, by the way.

AllRadioisDead
December 3rd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Good to see another GTA user!

Frak
December 3rd, 2009, 07:56 AM
When I saw your site, the first thing I thought was "This guy is either using 960.gs or Blueprint".

Hey, I was right.

Aflack
December 3rd, 2009, 08:01 AM
Wow, this is a very nice website, excellent work imo. Also, very interesting. Soon when i get older i hope to start a good blog or 'portfolio'. (I'm 14, 15 in March)

altonbr
December 6th, 2009, 12:02 AM
+Migration (to Ubuntu)

Nice!!! ;)

Nice site design, by the way.

Haha, I've converted about 100 people from Windows to Ubuntu in my area, all without advertising. People love Ubuntu!!

Good to see another GTA user!

<3 Canada :)

When I saw your site, the first thing I thought was "This guy is either using 960.gs or Blueprint".

Hey, I was right.

960.gs is a fantastic invention, almost as useful as jQuery. It cuts development time by 75% -- mainly in the "does this work in IE?" area.

Wow, this is a very nice website, excellent work imo. Also, very interesting. Soon when i get older i hope to start a good blog or 'portfolio'. (I'm 14, 15 in March)

Well thank you very much! You can get a blog at any time. Sign up at blogspot or wordpress. Maybe play around with running a LAMP server and install wordpress yourself (you can download and extract .tar.gz of Wordpress or install from the Ubuntu repositories).

Frak
December 6th, 2009, 12:47 AM
960.gs is a fantastic invention, almost as useful as jQuery. It cuts development time by 75% -- mainly in the "does this work in IE?" area.

I use Blueprint because, and really just because, SASS generates it by default. 960 is great, but I never understood why Alpha and Omega had to be put on the first and last element. I haven't seen any other framework that needed it.

altonbr
December 6th, 2009, 01:47 AM
I use Blueprint because, and really just because, SASS generates it by default. 960 is great, but I never understood why Alpha and Omega had to be put on the first and last element. I haven't seen any other framework that needed it.

I never use alpha or omega, just the plain grid_4, grid_8, grid_12, etc. containers. Then again, I don't really have that complex of a layout to produce...

I think the point of them are to allow the corresponding HTML to be produced in any order but have the CSS place them before or after their sibling elements.

Frak
December 6th, 2009, 03:33 AM
I never use alpha or omega, just the plain grid_4, grid_8, grid_12, etc. containers. Then again, I don't really have that complex of a layout to produce...

I think the point of them are to allow the corresponding HTML to be produced in any order but have the CSS place them before or after their sibling elements.
You need it for any children elements that are contained within a parent element. If you don't use it, the elements could come out in a weird aligned position.