PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet Cards really better then Integrated?

mbrowning2000
December 3rd, 2009, 06:56 AM
Hi,

I have an old PCI Ethernet Card, But my PC already has an Integrated one. would it improve my Internet Performance if I put in the card?

Its probably a retard question, but I was just wondering....and if its not the right section for this post, please move it.

Flying caveman
December 3rd, 2009, 07:26 AM
I couldn't say without knowing the specs of your card and your motherboard. So, maybe or maybe not. Since you said it was old i would "guess" that the one integrated into your motherboard may be better.

I would still hang on to it as a back-up or if you want to make your computer into a router or somthing.

doorknob60
December 3rd, 2009, 07:40 AM
With a regular speed internet connection, no difference at all. Maybe if you had a very fast home network it could make a slight difference for local stuff, but no, integrated is just fine. Also, since it's old, it porbably wouldn't be any better anyways.

lloyd_b
December 3rd, 2009, 08:22 AM
Hi,

I have an old PCI Ethernet Card, But my PC already has an Integrated one. would it improve my Internet Performance if I put in the card?

Its probably a retard question, but I was just wondering....and if its not the right section for this post, please move it.

Two questions:

A. How fast is your local network (100Mb/s, most likely, if not faster)
B. How fast is your Internet connection?

If A is substantially greater than B, then don't worry about it - the Internet connection is the bottleneck, and changing Ethernet devices won't have any effect.

If B is close to A, then *maybe* a better Ethernet card would make a difference. But in that case, you'd want a high-end Ethernet card (one that's basically a computer in its own right), which your old Ethernet card probably isn't.

Lloyd B.

Exodist
December 3rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
With a regular speed internet connection, no difference at all. Maybe if you had a very fast home network it could make a slight difference for local stuff, but no, integrated is just fine. Also, since it's old, it porbably wouldn't be any better anyways.
^^ This ^^

Really no difference in built in and PCI these days. Only thing I can think of is if one or the other is slower speed. Normally all common mother boards have a 100/10 NIC. But you could get a 1000base t NIC. That being said. Normal internet around the house I would use the built in. But if I was building a Beowulf Cluster I would opt for the 1000base t cards.

pwnst*r
December 3rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
in essence, don't worry about it.

anaconda
December 3rd, 2009, 02:12 PM
The only reason I would use the PCI-card is
IF the integrated one is so new that it doesn't work with ubuntu yet. (happened to me once..)

alphaniner
December 3rd, 2009, 03:30 PM
Depending on the application, certain NICs (ie. like this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033); not like this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166019)) may cause less of a strain on your system than onboard. But this really isn't a concern on a desktop.

drawkcab
December 4th, 2009, 06:00 AM
You will still suck at counterstrike.