PDA

View Full Version : Favorite legacy OS?

xequence
February 22nd, 2006, 04:17 AM
Most people like to play around with old OSes and stuff. Emulators, VMware, maybe an old computer...

What is your favorite legacy OS to play around on? What is your favorite legacy OS to accually do stuff on?

The reason I am saying this is I recently installed an emulator for AmigaOS and another one for Mac OS8.1 :) They are really fun, OS8 more so though.

I would do a poll but there are way to many old OSes out there and I dont know half of them ;)

Zeroangel
February 22nd, 2006, 04:33 AM
Definitely GEOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEOS_%288-bit_operating_system%29). It was the first graphical OS that I ever used (and that's probably why its my favorite), having limited knowledge of or references to learn C64 Basic it was so cool to have something that could just work and came with all this entire suite of software such as wordprocessing and paint.

prizrak
February 22nd, 2006, 04:44 AM
I was always impartial to OS/2 even tho I never got to use it :(

poofyhairguy
February 22nd, 2006, 04:46 AM
Windows 2K.

Zeroangel
February 22nd, 2006, 04:54 AM
Windows 2k is still supported by Microsoft, so therefore it is not a 'Legacy' OS. Not to mention that 2k apps have a near-perfect compatability with XP apps.

Though I do have to say that I like Win2k far more than XP.

darkmaze
February 22nd, 2006, 05:15 AM
lisa my first os:)

ape
February 22nd, 2006, 05:18 AM
would have to be VMS...

engla
February 22nd, 2006, 05:19 AM
Well sadly I haven't tried may but perhaps this inspires me to try..

BeOS looks [looked?] damn cool and some say it's a shame it's not alive anymore.. so I wonder if there is a good way to try it on top of linux.

Qrk
February 22nd, 2006, 05:19 AM
BeOS

I used it for a little while a couple of years ago. It was really amazing for the time, and there are even some things I like about it that I still miss.

I just tried it as a curiosity, but I can see why it has a community trying to keep it alive, and I wish them luck.

Edit: anyone looking to try it now should try a BeOS livecd.

Iandefor
February 22nd, 2006, 05:28 AM
Mmm... BEOS. I gave that a run around... end of 2004. It was interesting.
I liked DOS better, though.

fuscia
February 22nd, 2006, 05:35 AM
windows me

Iandefor
February 22nd, 2006, 05:45 AM
windows me You have a singular experience with Windows ME. You are, quite literally, the ONLY person I know who actually liked it. Oh, and ick.

NMUrugbysteve
February 22nd, 2006, 05:47 AM
MS-DOS with Quickmenu, the first graphical interface I ever saw.

fuscia
February 22nd, 2006, 05:51 AM
You have a singular experience with Windows ME. You are, quite literally, the ONLY person I know who actually liked it. Oh, and ick.

windows me is a sensitive piece of software. the rest of you bozos are just too oafish with it.

grimdaze
February 22nd, 2006, 06:07 AM
whichever mac os was out around 1993. it's what all the schools in my area used in the computer labs before windows 95.
i enjoyed it.

bender888
February 22nd, 2006, 06:14 AM
Mac OS 7.5

franklee
February 22nd, 2006, 06:54 AM
Dos 3

The kewl flashing colours depicting a basic load -rwx in C64 Basic! YEAH!\\:D/

briancurtin
February 22nd, 2006, 07:12 AM
nextstep/openstep if those are considered legacy. i dont know what specifically is considered legacy, so my post might not count.

psychicdragon
February 22nd, 2006, 07:57 AM
I have a lot of not-so-fond memories of me and my dad messing around with MS-DOS boot discs to get various PC games working.

Every time I got something new, there was inevitably some tweaking of those infernal Autoexec.bat and config.sys files.

weasel fierce
February 22nd, 2006, 08:26 AM
the Amiga OS all the way

poofyhairguy
February 22nd, 2006, 08:51 AM
windows me is a sensitive piece of software. the rest of you bozos are just too oafish with it.

If oafish means crying for two hours because an ME crash took out a paper I had been working on all day, then guilty as charged.

Derek Djons
February 22nd, 2006, 08:56 AM
DOS for me. I even went CLI on Windows 98 back then. Doing things the CLI way for fun. I got tired of pointing and clicking, missing and aiming :P

blueturtl
February 22nd, 2006, 09:25 AM
DOS with the Windows 95 user interface. DOS because it was the first thing I ever used, and Windows 95 because to date it's still the best shell incarnation of explorer MS ever created (no leaks, no clutter, no IE). I loved being able to tweak everything to my liking and very unlike Microsoft today, Windows 95 was actually near 100% compatible with everything released for DOS/Windows so far!

System 7.5 is a close second, it was just so easy to use and easy on the eyes. It also had some killer apps in it's time...

benplaut
February 22nd, 2006, 09:27 AM
If oafish means crying for two hours because an ME crash took out a paper I had been working on all day, then guilty as charged.

you didn't save?!?!!?!? :o

My favorite is Amiga, closely followed by OS/2.

I still use OS/2 on an old laptop... it's really fun, and damn fast (compared to win 95, which used to be on there)

Iandefor
February 22nd, 2006, 09:34 AM
DOS with the Windows 95 user interface. DOS because it was the first thing I ever used, and Windows 95 because to date it's still the best shell incarnation of explorer MS ever created (no leaks, no clutter, no IE). I loved being able to tweak everything to my liking and very unlike Microsoft today, Windows 95 was actually near 100% compatible with everything released for DOS/Windows so far!

System 7.5 is a close second, it was just so easy to use and easy on the eyes. It also had some killer apps in it's time... Yeah. I've never really liked the Windows UI's after Windows 95. 95 was pretty clutterless and was relatively easy on the system.

drucer
February 22nd, 2006, 11:54 AM
Not really an OS, but Sharp MZ-821 Basic Interpreter from 1984.

..or GEM graphical user interface for CP/M running on Amstrad PC1512 from 1988.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_Environment_Manager

http://www.zock.com/8-Bit/D_MZ821.HTML

Oh, the memories...

bonzodog
February 22nd, 2006, 02:28 PM
I have to say it, but linux. I have been on linux since 1996. Before then I had win95, which I hated. Most people fail to realise that linux has existed since 1992 effectively, and that was BEFORE windows. Aside from linux...Commodore BASIC. yeah, that was a FUN OS.

Leo_01
February 22nd, 2006, 02:46 PM
I like Win 2000 personally...
It got a so much cleaner interface and less crap into it....

Brunellus
February 22nd, 2006, 02:56 PM
MS-DOS. Not for any technical reasons--GEM, AmigaOS, MacOS were all better--but because I loved the apps and games I used with it. And, before linux, it was the last operating system I could even pretend to understand.

Brunellus
February 22nd, 2006, 03:07 PM

System 7.5 is a close second, it was just so easy to use and easy on the eyes. It also had some killer apps in it's time...
Yeah, but Win 9x is what drove a lot of people to Linux, eventually, what with its wonderful BSOD-mode... The BSOD-ing has subsided in the NT-derived Windows versions, in fairness.

ember
February 22nd, 2006, 03:12 PM
Definitely GEOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEOS_%288-bit_operating_system%29). It was the first graphical OS that I ever used (and that's probably why its my favorite), having limited knowledge of or references to learn C64 Basic it was so cool to have something that could just work and came with all this entire suite of software such as wordprocessing and paint.

Oh nostalgia, that was my first graphical OS, too. I really liked it and I think I was able to print something from it at last with some word processor that was there, too.

UbuWu
February 22nd, 2006, 03:57 PM
DOS (Using Dosbox, this actually does dos better than dos itself.) I still play Lemmings from time to time and commander keen. :KS

ygarl
February 22nd, 2006, 05:20 PM
Amiga OS 4.1 - on an A1200 with a REALLY good accellerator board. Say, a 800Mhz+ PPC chip and a good 32Meg of memory...

VERY spiffy... UAE just isn't the same, really.
BTW - AMOS the Creator was by FAR the best games/program making environment I've ever used.
Simple, lightning fast - especially compiled.

Kernel Sanders
February 22nd, 2006, 05:25 PM
I thought legacy referred to the Windows kernal?

Hmmmmmm :-k *wonders*

K.Mandla
February 22nd, 2006, 05:36 PM
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/3734/c646dt.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

wrtrdood
February 22nd, 2006, 05:40 PM
For personal systems, top honors would have to go to AmigaDOS/Intuition. After all, I wrote about it in Amazing Computing. I was rather fond of CP/M as well. For the big irons it would have to be VMS.

mips
February 22nd, 2006, 06:51 PM
Definately AmigaOS. It's still around and not dead, latest version is AmigaOS4 & nice article on it here http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/amiga.ars/1

Nice Screenshot, http://amigaos.dk/modules/bamagalerie3/viewcat.php?id=11&cid=3&min=0&orderby=titreA&show=

BeOS is not entirely dead as it spun off into some other projects like Haiku & yellowTab ZETA for example.

OS/2 warp is dead but people are petitioning IBM to open source the code so it can carry on as a community project. Don't see it happening though.

Master Shake
February 22nd, 2006, 07:34 PM
CP/M, and GEM and TOS for the Atari ST line of computers.

-Rick-
February 22nd, 2006, 09:23 PM
I enjoyed stuffing around in DOS...but wouldn't like to use it these days. Although I used it for a short moment, I was impressed by BeOS.

Stormy Eyes
February 22nd, 2006, 09:40 PM
AT&T Unix System V release 4. :cool:

xequence
February 22nd, 2006, 09:44 PM
AT&T Unix System V release 4.

The good old days, eh?

Stormy Eyes
February 22nd, 2006, 10:07 PM
The good old days, eh?

I told you I was hardcore. Besides, if not for AT&T Unix, there wouldn't be BSD or Linux.

welsh_spud
February 23rd, 2006, 01:59 PM
My favourite OS from the past would probably be Windows 95. The only reason for this is because my favourite game at the time was the Magic School Bus, and I had a Windows 95 computer at the time.

Interestingly, I found that very computer a few weeks ago when I was digging about in my attic. Really strange experience! I still remembered the crunching noise the hard disk made when it was starting up. If any of you can remember, when Windows 95 crashed an alert window would shoot up complaining of an illegal operation, while playing a chime noise. Whenever this happened in the past I would freak out thinking that I was going to go to jail (because of the 'illegal' operation).

Well the computer crashed the other day when I tried to open 'The Internet', and it played that horrid chime noise. Boy was that a strage feeling! Really unearthing! Kind of like the feeling you get when you're in school and you're about to be told off, but you don't quite know what for.

It's amazing the mind tricks that Microsoft can play on a young mind :D