PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] LXDE and Ubuntu 9.10

clutch|
December 3rd, 2009, 03:53 AM
So, I'm trying to install LXDE on my older laptop running Karmic and I can't get it to work right. I did a sudo aptitude install lxde, which (presumably) downloaded and installed it. According to everything I've read though the next step is to log out and select LXDE from the options menu at the login screen. Seems simple enough.

Except my login screen doesn't have any options menu. 0_0

All I have is the power button, the universal access menu, and the actual login prompt itself. I vaguely remember there being a lot more stuff along the bottom of the screen when I originally installed Karmic, but its not there anymore and I can't figure out how to get it back.

Plx help, as my aging lappy is somewhat sluggish with the standard desktop environment.

clutch|
December 3rd, 2009, 04:53 AM
Nevermind, fixed. It doesn't show the desktop options until you actually click on the account you want to log into. I'm retarded.

Incidentally, LXDE has made my old Pentium4 laptop with 216 megs of RAM run much quicker. Its still slow, but not nearly what it was before.

kellemes
December 3rd, 2009, 01:05 PM
Nevermind, fixed. It doesn't show the desktop options until you actually click on the account you want to log into. I'm retarded.

Incidentally, LXDE has made my old Pentium4 laptop with 216 megs of RAM run much quicker. Its still slow, but not nearly what it was before.

For old machines like this you may consider using another distro all together.. I've had great experiences with Zenwalk (http://www.zenwalk.org/), very easy to setup and very fast, even on older hardware.

Anyway, great you fixed your own issue.