PDA

View Full Version : gimp program & photoshop

trixman
December 3rd, 2009, 01:57 AM
new to the linux world going on my 1st year and so far i am amazed that everything can be done on linux just like windows. the one program that is simply great to use is "gimp" was just wondering if anybody else has ditched photoshop for this neat program.

kg4cna
December 3rd, 2009, 06:57 AM
I used Photoshop while on Winders...but since dumping M$ for Ubuntu almost 2 yrs ago, I use Gimp with no problems. I am able to do everything with Gimp I did with Photoshop. It's a great program ;)

ad_267
December 3rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
I always wonder how many people who use Photoshop actually paid for it, I mean, it's pretty expensive. If you paid all that money it seems a bit of a waste to then switch to a free alternative.

To answer the question, I've never used Photoshop much myself. I've only ever used Gimp and Inkscape.

Kdar
December 3rd, 2009, 07:22 AM
One time, at my work, I was using portable gimp on my(company's) Windows PC.
Of course they didn't have anything good for graphical work, other than Windows Paint.. Which is not really useful...
But I was in need of something to edit and modify images, photos for some reports..
Gimp worked great and I am thankful for it.

And few things, were even easier and faster done in Gimp..........

trixman
December 4th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I always wonder how many people who use Photoshop actually paid for it, I mean, it's pretty expensive. If you paid all that money it seems a bit of a waste to then switch to a free alternative.

To answer the question, I've never used Photoshop much myself. I've only ever used Gimp and Inkscape.

i used the program photoshop essentials it was a nice program.
but gimp is also solid.

Hume's doona
December 4th, 2009, 06:03 PM
The mac incarnation of the GIMP is what showed me the power of the open source world.

That in turn led to using linux :)

MikeEvans
December 4th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I'm a big GIMP fan. Use it for format conversion, level adjustments, website designing, and messing around. I highly recommend the FX Foundry filter pack.

http://gimpfx-foundry.sourceforge.net/

Skripka
December 4th, 2009, 06:18 PM
The mac incarnation of the GIMP is what showed me the power of the open source world.

That in turn led to using linux :)

Dang. Gimp in OSX taught me the true meaning of pain and suffering, due to Apple's physically painful to use implementation of X11.

John Bean
December 4th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I always wonder how many people who use Photoshop actually paid for it, I mean, it's pretty expensive.

Well I certainly did, admittedly several versions ago and have no intention of "upgrading" any time soon.

As for the OP: I still use Photoshop (CS2) but now under Wine in Ubuntu. Even this relatively old version of Photoshop is still in a different league compared with the current stable GIMP, at least in respect to features that I use most often. GIMP's lack of 16-bit image support and a few other things I need/like to use makes it a non-starter at present, but I expect that won't be the case for much longer :-)

ratcheer
December 4th, 2009, 07:29 PM
new to the linux world going on my 1st year and so far i am amazed that everything can be done on linux just like windows. the one program that is simply great to use is "gimp" was just wondering if anybody else has ditched photoshop for this neat program.

I have used the GIMP for years, but I have never tried Photo Shop.

Tim

RiceMonster
December 4th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Well, I used to use a pirated copy of Photoshop, but I didn't need the capabilities. The gimp is more than enough for me, as someone who doesn't do anything advanced in image editing. I stopped pirating software years ago anyway.

I think for most people who would pirate photoshop, the gimp is enough. For people who pay for it and use it professionally, probably not.

hessiess
December 4th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Personally I actually prefer GIMP because of a few little things which add massively to the efficiency of the program, like MMB to move image around, no modifier keys needed. Having a decent window manager with `focus follows cursor' and `always on top' is also needed to use GIMP efficiently.

ticopelp
December 4th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I use GIMP almost daily, and am more experienced with it than I ever was with Photoshop. I think it's great, a few small complaints aside.

FuturePilot
December 4th, 2009, 08:55 PM
The gimp is more than enough for me, as someone who doesn't do anything advanced in image editing.
<snip>

I think for most people who would pirate photoshop, the gimp is enough. For people who pay for it and use it professionally, probably not.

This

23dornot23d
December 4th, 2009, 09:27 PM
The Gimp is an excellent piece of software .....

It also has lots of extra scripts that are relatively easy to add for creating effects ....

It can also be used to create animations from frames from blender that get stored in the /tmp directory ......
when a rendered animation is created by using blender.....
its a simple case of selecting them all and adding them as layers ..... once loaded ....
Then go into the menu > Filters - Animation - Playback .... if its ok .....
Save it as a ***.GIF file ....

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ewfrso.jpg

12kb a very small example ...

Check out some of the work done at this forum too ..... where it is used for fixing photos alongside others that use Photoshop ......
and any body is welcome to join in and try out their own skills here ..... and its a friendly forum - just like this one.

http://www.photoforum.com/index.php?showforum=63

It is easier to show people that it can do the majority of things that photoshop does ..... and if you use photoshop
there are lots of tips here for getting better results .... with that too ...

Hopefully when Gimp 2.8 is released, it will be even better too.

But the existing stable version is brilliant ...... if they go to 16 bit it will be better still ......

JDShu
December 4th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Well.. on the other hand my friend tells me that the Gimp's lack of adjustment layers is what stops him from using it and so he pirates Photoshop instead. Hes just a hobbyist artist as well.

ElSlunko
December 4th, 2009, 10:43 PM
The transition from PS to GIMP was a painful one for me since I had used PS for years. When I began using linux (just for fun mind you) I found GIMP and began to play with it. When CS3 came out I decided to hold off and force myself to use GIMP exclusively. A few years later & I have no need / desire to go back to PS (Though I think as my business grows my clients may demand it).

23dornot23d
December 4th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Well.. on the other hand my friend tells me that the Gimp's lack of adjustment layers is what stops him from using it and so he pirates Photoshop instead. Hes just a hobbyist artist as well.

There are adjustment layers and a script for grouped layers too ....

There are also channels ..... it would be interesting to know which operations he uses that causes any problems .... as the operation could possibly be achieved in Gimp.
( There is no doubt that Photoshop is a very good program .... and that said has a similar type learning curve to Gimp .....
but once a user learns how to use it .... a lot of the problems of it being complex and finding things go away, like with most things. )

I have found ways around most of the photo editing that can be done in photoshop ..... but I do realise that there are parts of
photoshop that are much more refined ...... the marching ants and cutting out seems easier .... but can still be achieved in GIMP

A lot depends on how much time your friend wants to put into adding the relative scripts
brushes, plugins etc .... that make Gimp a very useful tool to have .....

I am hoping that all the scripts etc that worked in 2.6.6 & 7 will still work ok in 2.8

When I have used Gimp version 2.7 - I found that a lot did not work ..... but that is possibly going to be rectified ..... as it is still in development at the moment.

peter d
December 4th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I've hardly used PS. I use Gimp when I need to.

They both have learning curves but I'm getting the hang of the Gimp for the things I need to do. Also if I want to know something new a search usually throws up an answer that works.

JDShu
December 5th, 2009, 12:31 AM
There are also channels ..... it would be interesting to know which operations he uses that causes any problems .... as the operation could possibly be achieved in Gimp.

To answer that question, when I suggested using Gimp instead of pirating Photoshop, his exact words were "does it have awesome gradient adjustment layers like Photoshop?"

sideaway
December 5th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I found it pretty hard to go from PS to The GIMP. I'm still more familiar with PS, but I mainly use The GIMP now - But I don't do anywhere nearly as much photo manipulation as I used to.

23dornot23d
December 5th, 2009, 03:12 AM
To answer that question, when I suggested using Gimp instead of pirating Photoshop, his exact words were "does it have awesome gradient adjustment layers like Photoshop?"

You can create gradient adjustment layers ...... you would have to show me what you mean .....
I will have a search on Google for photoshop gradient layers .....

But to put a gradient on a layer and then overlay it is easy and to use the difference with
Layers .... plus you can use masks etc .... not sure what you mean .... similar to below

Gradients can be Linear Bi-linear Radial Square Conical Shaped Spiral

They can get very complex .... if needed .... this is a simple one ..... with the layers shown on the left .....
using the overlay modes you can blend them all into one another ,,,, to create different effects ....

Modes are same as Photoshop ... and these can be altered for each layer ....
Normal Dissolve Multiply Divide Screen Overlay Dodge Burn
Hard Light Soft Light Grain Extract Grain Merge Darken only Lighten only
Difference Addition Subtract
Hue Saturation Colour Value

Plus you then have control over channels .... the same as photoshop RGB and Alpha ..

http://i45.tinypic.com/kcdufo.jpg

If you look on the left at the layers I have used blue and grey ,,,, yet the gradients all blend .... to make others ...

can do similar to the example here .... http://www.mediacollege.com/adobe/photoshop/transparent/gradient.html

if you give an example .... I will try to copy it .... and let you know if it can be achieved in GIMP .....

http://images.google.com/images?q=awesome%20photoshop%20gradient%20layers&oe=utf-8&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Most things can ,,, and people are always writing new scripts for GIMP ......

BuffaloX
December 5th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I actually used to use Corel Photopaint in Windows.
But I haven't even tried if it works in Linux, I just use GIMP.
But the stuff I do is very basic, mostly just adding some transparencies to PNGs.

HappinessNow
December 5th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I have to admit I like Photoshop CS4...the best release yet

before CS4 I used the GIMP but now the GIMP is a bit behind and it feels dated.

I primarily use CS4 in OS X.

Corfy
December 8th, 2009, 03:07 AM
I'm sorry to say that I did have a pirated version of Photoshop long ago (I think it was Photoshop 5). Then I went out and paid for Photoshop Elements 1.0, which did all of the Photoshop tasks I needed and kept me legal. Then I discovered GIMP, and I happily moved to it and have been with it ever since.

The only thing I wish GIMP could do is save photos as CMYK, then I could probably get more people at the office to use it. But if I do any photo work for the office, it is for the website, so I don't need CMYK.

murderslastcrow
December 8th, 2009, 03:22 AM
I used to be big on Photoshop, but GIMP was an easy transition for me and actually a bit easier for me to use (and FAST!). Photoshop surely isn't bad. I hope the later versions of Photoshop get better Wine support, since 7, Elements, and CS 2 are nice, but some people just adore CS4.

Of course, Adobe will probably port these programs soon. Even if they didn't, I don't see it as a bit problem for anyone but a trained professional who's only been trained to use Adobe programs. The winds are changing, and I think if we put some money behind it, we could get a program that surpasses Photoshop's capabilities.

Just imagine if people found an open source program so amazing that they just quit using the commercial version because it was lame? (Firefox or Synfig, for example).

But yeah, GIMP is an awesome program. I love it, use it daily, and it's very extensible. I guess I'm just not familiar with some of the out-of-the-way use cases people are using it for that make it unacceptable for professional use.

Shibblet
December 8th, 2009, 04:34 AM

I am a Photoshop Professional. What that means, is that I use photoshop on a professional printing level. i.e. Color Gamut adjustment, line and screen frequency, color separations, overbleed, trapping, etc. In this regard, Photoshop is irreplaceable.

However, professional printing is the only function of Photoshop that I find to be necessary. Other than that, Gimp is an amazing program.

Here's the funny part. Gimp is free, even to Windows users. So those home based PC's who have illegal copies of Photoshop just to edit images, could be completely legitimate, by downloading Gimp instead!

Open Source is the cure for software piracy.