PDA

View Full Version : Let me know what you think

Virogenesis
February 22nd, 2006, 03:43 AM
Before I want both negative and positive comments not just negative ones.

Now I've been thinking about how I can help the oss community and I haven't actually found many ways but a thread on the forum caught my attention.
It happened to be one about where are you?

I thought to myself why haven't we used thje google map/yahoo map API to map ubuntu users around the round then today I was on the ubuntu website and noticed it listed companies that supported ubuntu around the world.

Now it occured to me that something amazing could be created the idea was uspace.

The basic idea is a community driven site where you can find out the latest happenings when it comes to oss.
For instance conferences could be be mapped, designers would have a place to show off not only show off but be contacted.
Each of every person could have their own blog which they could create articles.
You'd be able to track down other users so say someone wanted to find members in america they could do a search and it would bring up the users.

So now my brain is thinking web services so a blog, a place to upload photos to then came the idea of using audioscrobbler how about adding support for that many linux programs make use of the last.fm services.

It will make use of xml, AJAX, css and more than likely php/mysql for the backend.
It will have full accessiblity and it shall be xhtml.

I've done a quick layout design of the front page its "Quick!! (Mock up)
I've only used inkscape and this is the first time using it but anyway I want suggestions on features.

Would it be a good thing or not?
The design is rubbish I know I ain't worried about that for now.

heres the Mock up (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59936509@N00/102842289/)

xequence
February 22nd, 2006, 03:55 AM
I think it is a great idea. But two things:

- It shouldent just be ubuntu, it should be all open source stuff
- I dont like the name "uspace", as it reminds me of "myspace", which I have never seen or been to and I dont even know what it is but it sounds like a dumb site, so dont make a name that sounds like a site that sounds dumb ;)

If you could get this to be where a majority of the OSS devs hang out it would be cool.

Virogenesis
February 22nd, 2006, 04:28 AM
Taken your ideas and well these are the results i've gotten for a name so far.

Freedombeforeprice

OSSProgress (with maybe a motto like Where Progress happens or something like that )

I did have another name but its gone now

gord
February 22nd, 2006, 04:38 AM
maybe keep trying on those names but its a nice idea :) my advice is don't aim too high, iv seen a thousand and one idea's that aimed high but infact never got off the airport.. thing... where planes drive off from... y'know.

start with a small good idea and then grow depending on what people want :)