PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation problems

jurg1
December 2nd, 2009, 11:18 PM
Hi everyone.

I've just installed my ubuntu to an old ThinkPad and was looking forward to using it. But a have struck some problems.

I installed the hole thing and erased my old OS.(XP) But when the intallaion was finished, and I tried to start it, it just stopped.

I got the message:

error: no such device: 7f94b918-bc5a-441a-897a-c944ebdfcb4b

I then tryied to reinstall, but the same thing happend, just with another "device number"

First two times i installed in my native language, and the tird time i installed the english version. But same thing happend.

Whats up? Do I have to little storage capasity, or is there a hardware problem here?

Other suggestions? Thanks...!

Jurg1

darkod
December 2nd, 2009, 11:32 PM
If possible boot with the cd, select Try Ubuntu, and it will run from the cd. Download the script from my signature, and execute it, if for example on the desktop, with:

sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh

You need to enter that into terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal). It will create results.txt file. Post the content of that file here but after you copy the text here, select the whole text (just the content coming from results.txt) and put CODE tags, click the # button in this toolbar for writing posts. It makes it easier to read.

That will show the whole boot process and lots of info about the hard drive.

PS. In case you didn't know, the LiveCD should give you internet access so you can do all of the above in one go, while booted with Try Ubuntu, no need to restart or take results.txt file to another comp.