PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 64-bit installation problem..

yigster
December 2nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
First I am new to ubuntu so if there is a solution I would appreciate it if you could write it step by step =)

So here is my problem while installing Ubuntu 9.10 x64 it doesn't install it doesn't even start extracting the computer just restarts. I have used Windows Vista and 7 and they were both x64. Here are my computer specs;

-Intel Core2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53GHz
-4GB DDR3 Ram
-512MB GDDR3 NVIDIA 9600M GT

By the way I have downloaded Ubuntu 9.10 x64 two different times burned them on two different disks and I get the same problem, I cant even try Ubuntu x64 without making any changes to my computer!

If there is no answer to this problem I would like to know how I could address the other 1 GB while using Ubuntu 9.10 i386 (right now the System Monitor only shows 3GBs).

Thank you in advance..

dstew
December 2nd, 2009, 11:35 PM
Are you sure the CD is OK? Does it boot in other computers?

yigster
December 2nd, 2009, 11:43 PM
I havent tried to boot it on any other computer because I have no other 64 bit computer around but after burning the cd has been checked (xilisoft iso burner) and to check if the DVD-RW I used was damaged I deleted 64-bit iso and burned the 32-bit version it worked, by the way I also burned the 64-bit version on a cd.. So I dont think there is a problem with the cd =S

I see the ubuntu logo and I am able to choose the language but after that the computer restarts.

dstew
December 3rd, 2009, 04:15 PM
The problem may still be the CD. You need to burn it at a slow rate, no faster than 4x. Also, check the MD5 sum on the downloaded .iso as recommended on the Ubuntu Burning ISO How-To (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto). If you get to the Live CD menu, you can also choose the Check CD for defects item to check the CD.

presence1960
December 3rd, 2009, 08:44 PM
First I am new to ubuntu so if there is a solution I would appreciate it if you could write it step by step =)

So here is my problem while installing Ubuntu 9.10 x64 it doesn't install it doesn't even start extracting the computer just restarts. I have used Windows Vista and 7 and they were both x64. Here are my computer specs;

-Intel Core2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53GHz
-4GB DDR3 Ram
-512MB GDDR3 NVIDIA 9600M GT

By the way I have downloaded Ubuntu 9.10 x64 two different times burned them on two different disks and I get the same problem, I cant even try Ubuntu x64 without making any changes to my computer!

If there is no answer to this problem I would like to know how I could address the other 1 GB while using Ubuntu 9.10 i386 (right now the System Monitor only shows 3GBs).

Thank you in advance..
3 GB of RAM on 32 bit is about right. 32 bit on any OS cannot address 4 GB RAM