PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] messed up gnome pannel, broke system

pearldrums
December 2nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
I was fooling around with the gnome panel settings and ended up making my system inoperable. I realized that if you had two panels oriented at the top of the screen one would be right below the other. I decided this would be a cool way to make a quit start menu if I had the lower panel auto-hide and put launchersn on it. When I made it auto-hide it "hid" on top of the other panel and the panels locked up. I went to shut down and it said that the gnome panel was unresponsive. I was hoping that a restart would allow me to right click and delete that panel, but now when I try to start up the system locks up before the login screen.

Can anyone help me boot up. If not I can access recovery mode and uninstall/reinstall it, but I don't know exactly what its name is, or if i need to do a special command to delete the package and its settings. Is this a major bug that I should fill a bug report out for? Thanks.

VCoolio
December 3rd, 2009, 01:41 AM
Try to login to your account with console and then:
gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/panel
to reset all your panel settings to default. If it works that better then a reinstall, right? Don't know if it's a huge bug, I'm not going to test it ;). Also reinstalling ubuntu or gnome-panel won't help if you don't erase your /home partition too (if you're right in assuming the problem is in the user settings).

Edit: closer reading learned me that your system locks before login screen. That suggests the problem is not in the user settings and the above doesn't apply. Sorry.

pearldrums
December 3rd, 2009, 05:03 AM
thanks, that got me back up and running again! I decided to try it one more time before I got everything set the way I like it and if any one is ever interested, you can do it if you make the panel closes to the edge of your screen auto-hide.