PDA

View Full Version : Sell Laptop Components for DIY-ers?

earthpigg
December 2nd, 2009, 10:08 PM
Do you think there would be a market for an OEM that sold laptop parts that could be assembled by end-users, similar to how there is currently a market for desktop components?

A set of standards would need to be established... the basic replacement for an ATX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atx) case would be... well, lets call it LTX just for fun.

(im going to use inches here. adopt conventions for the rest of the world by whatever method is currently used for desktop displays.)

Let's break LTX down into a few sizes, for displays. your basic LTX case comes with a power supply, a display, and cords. the display size dictates the exact LTX size. so, a 14 inch display would be LTX-14. tentatively, lets start with -8, -14, -17, and -22.

LTX-14 motherboards would be required to fit into an LTX-17, but not the other way around for obvious reasons. if you wanted to (for whatever reason), you could put something together using standard components that is only slightly more expensive than a current netbook, and has a 22 inch display. put a LTX-9 ATOM motherboard into a LTX-22 case.

MicroLTX would be similar, but not have space for a separate laptop video card (o yes, we are standardizing laptop video cards, too) and perhaps top off at two RAM slots. MicroLTX motherboards fit into LTX cases, but not the other way around.

all connectors pertaining to the display, power, etc, would be identical. individual case OEM's can use different hinges to attach the display to the base and whatnot, but the wiring all needs to be identical.

Warpnow
December 2nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
If it were cheaper or similarily priced I'd build my own. I doubt I'd pay more, though. I'm cheap. I dream about $99 A9 smartbooks.

earthpigg
December 2nd, 2009, 10:14 PM
If it were cheaper or similarily priced I'd build my own.

my hope is that it would be similar or cheaper -- for the same reasons that building a desktop from components is generally (but not always) cheaper.

and it would be a helluva lot more sustainable over the long term. ie: 3 years from now, you can replace the mobo, RAM, and CPU... while keeping the rest. just like we can do with desktops.

alphaniner
December 2nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
I swear I read about something like this recently here in the Cafe. A company that is actually doing it I mean. I'm definitely interested, but only once the practice became established enough to bring prices down.

NoaHall
December 2nd, 2009, 10:29 PM
I'd pay a lot more, even consider getting one, if I could make my own. I hate laptops atm.

earthpigg
December 3rd, 2009, 02:10 AM
i wonder...

patent this idea, hand it over to the OIN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Invention_Network)?

-grubby
December 3rd, 2009, 02:13 AM
This is how it should have been from the start. Proprietary hardware connectors and designs suck.

ZankerH
December 3rd, 2009, 02:16 AM
Agreed. I prefer to build my own, and I find laptops frustrating in that regard. It's getting even harder to find a decent laptop that doesn't come with a preinstalled OS. I'd definitely support this.

Praxicoide
December 3rd, 2009, 02:56 AM
Universal cellphone charges are going to hit the market soon. Doing the same for Laptops only makes sense.

amingv
December 3rd, 2009, 03:00 AM
I would definitely love to see this, if just to dance frantically in front of some of my macbook-using friends. :)

Right now even looking for replacement parts from the manufacturer/ebay is a pain.