PDA

View Full Version : I got a Windows Vista Refund...

speedwell68
December 2nd, 2009, 08:45 PM
OK a bit of a long story. A couple of years ago my Uncle, aged 74, tried Ubuntu as a replacement to Vista and liked it. The other day his old laptop finally went pop and a replacement was bought from PC World. I got found him an end of line Acer ASX3200 with 3GB RAM, a 320GB HDD, an Nvidia 9200 with a 22" LG monior that was preloaded with Vista for 360. A bargain that suited his needs perfectly. So today it arrived and he wanted Ubuntu installed.

I thought it would be best if we made the Vista recovery disks, but unfortunately the Acer eRecovery software was not installed on the PC, so I phoned the PC World Tech Guys, they claimed it wasn't their problem it was Acer's problem. So I phoned Acer who claimed it wasn't their problem it was PC World's problem. I think you can see a pattern forming here. So next I phoned PC World's head office and spoke to a very helpful person. I informed them the reason I wanted to do a total backup of Vista was that I was going to install Ubuntu over the top, but wanted to keep the Vista recovery DVDs incase their was a warranty claim. She said that as the software wasn't supplied correctly they could offer me a set of replacement Vista disks or a full refund for Vista. So they are refunding 44 to my Uncles credit card on Monday. Result.:D What was even more amazing was that the Lady I spoke to at PC World's head office said that she had heard Ubuntu was very good.

slumbergod
December 2nd, 2009, 09:42 PM
I wish I got a Vista refund when I bought my replacement Acer laptop late last year. I left Vista on it for 24 hours just to make sure it was not faulty but even that was a struggle. I truly hated it! I like XP still but I just couldn't live with Vista any more so I completely formatted the drive, even ditching the restore partition.

So for me Vista really was a Microsoft tax.

I had looked at laptops preloaded with Ubuntu but the only option was Dell. When I did a price comparison it turned out that it was the same price with or without Windows. I questioned this on a forum using the term "m$ tax" and got some Dell VIP cry baby who got upset with the terminology.

So I went with Acer :)

oldsoundguy
December 2nd, 2009, 09:53 PM
No, it is not an M$ tax ..
What you have to understand here is that on pre loaded computers that have Microsoft, they are LOADED with trial ware (if you activate it, you pay for it!) .. and those merchants pay the computer maker x amount of bucks per unit to have that garbage (most of which gets tossed) on that brand new computer.
That usually defrays the licensing fees paid to Microsoft.

When your computer comes with Linux, none of that trial ware is on it so NO revenue to the computer maker.

THAT is why the computers cost the same or nearly the same!

murderslastcrow
December 2nd, 2009, 10:03 PM
That's remarkable. Good to see people are finally getting real with Linux and understanding it's useful and good, instead of just insulting your decision. The sad part is that, unless you buy it from DELL, most Linux systems (zareason/system76) go for around the same as an old Vista machine. You might as well buy a refurbished system without an OS, really. XD

But I'm glad you got the refund. If the refund were easier to get, Linux vendors might lower their prices. :P

I still hope we can have a market where you can go into a computer store and choose Windows or Linux. This is already possible in some stores, since they want netbooks to stay cheap. Let's hope this decade shows a different face of the computing industry than the traditional "only care about innovation as far as it will make us money." Then again, I guess that day's already here when my friends are asking where to buy Linux computers and how to resell their Windows 7 licenses already. @_@

stinger30au
December 2nd, 2009, 10:06 PM
good to hear your getting a refund

top work

SonicSteve
December 2nd, 2009, 10:15 PM
No, it is not an M$ tax ..
What you have to understand here is that on pre loaded computers that have Microsoft, they are LOADED with trial ware (if you activate it, you pay for it!) .. and those merchants pay the computer maker x amount of bucks per unit to have that garbage (most of which gets tossed) on that brand new computer.
That usually defrays the licensing fees paid to Microsoft.

THAT is why the computers cost the same or nearly the same!

This sounds a bit wrong to me. While it's true that if you're willing to fight for it you can get a refund for windows (as long as you don't boot it up and accept the eula, then activate it). The manufacturers have already paid Microsoft for the windows license, which means they'll pass that cost onto you. You've already paid for the windows license, the only way you'll get the refund is by not using it..... and fighting like a tasmanian devil to get the refund. I technically could get a refund for Vista on my laptop, I never once booted it up. I bought it 2 years ago though.

So I wonder then how much those trialware offers pay to the manufacturer to defer the cost of windows.

witeshark17
December 2nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
This is the first I've heard about a Vista refund; made my day! Congratz! :popcorn:

Tipped OuT
December 2nd, 2009, 10:24 PM
Good job man! Now wipe that hard drive out for Windows 7 and/or Ubuntu. :popcorn:

speedwell68
December 2nd, 2009, 10:28 PM
This is the first I've heard about a Vista refund; made my day! Congratz! :popcorn:

The thing is I wasn't aiming for a refund, we just wanted a set of working Vista disks, just in case of a warranty claim. But as they offered one we decided to take it. The PC World person also told us that in the event of a return to base warranty claim they would reinstate Vista anyway.

speedwell68
December 2nd, 2009, 10:29 PM
Good job man! Now wipe that hard drive out for Windows 7 and/or Ubuntu. :popcorn:

100% Ubuntu for us. W7 is no better than Vista anyway.

Tipped OuT
December 2nd, 2009, 10:35 PM
W7 is no better than Vista anyway.

LOL okay, have fun! :D

speedwell68
December 2nd, 2009, 10:38 PM
LOL okay, have fun! :D

Well it isn't. I'm not a fan of Microsoft OSes.

Tipped OuT
December 2nd, 2009, 10:39 PM
I'm not a fan of Microsoft OSes.

I know, this is why you have that opinion.

Just enjoy, don't mean to cause an argument. Your lucky you got a refund for Vista. :)

ZankerH
December 2nd, 2009, 10:42 PM
I consider myself lucky that laptops are still sold without pre-installed OSes where I live. From what I gather, that doesn't seem to be the case in most places?

Tipped OuT
December 2nd, 2009, 10:48 PM
I consider myself lucky that laptops are still sold without pre-installed OSes where I live. From what I gather, that doesn't seem to be the case in most places?

Well, when an operating system is pre-installed, you're still paying for it.

What if you don't want that operating system on your computer? Wouldn't it be better to be able to remove it and get your money back?

murderslastcrow
December 2nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah. Unless you have a niche computer shop, or live in Asia, you'll be hard-pressed to find anything open-source in a computer shop, and they often bundle Windows with Microsoft Office on the same machines to make people think all that stuff comes with the computer's price. They usually don't realize how much money they could have saved opting for an Ubuntu PC.

When he says Windows 7 is no better than Vista, he's mostly right. The only differences in 7 are less memory leaks (so about half the minimum requirement, still sucks up plenty of RAM), a new taskbar (dockbarX for Windows), a few more drivers (not many, as I can tell you from personal experience), and lowered default security options. And automatic window resizing, ISO and UPnP support built-in, etc. All small and largely insignificant changes that should've been there in the first place, and you can get much more out of a default Ubuntu installation.

So Windows 7 is better than Vista, but not by any significant amount, I think is what he meant to say. If they came out with something worse than Vista, I would have laughed harder than I already was when it came out.

SonicSteve
December 3rd, 2009, 01:10 AM

Where exactly are you? All of North America, and at least Europe sell laptops this way. I wish they didn't but Microsoft has very strong deals with most manufacturers. To be honest it sucks, but there is very little we can do about it. From what I've read it used to be that Microsofts deals stated that the manufacturers couldn't sell any other OSes on their computers. That isn't the case any more but I've read that it used to be.

hessiess
December 3rd, 2009, 01:25 AM
Yeah. Unless you have a niche computer shop, or live in Asia, you'll be hard-pressed to find anything open-source in a computer shop, and they often bundle Windows with Microsoft Office on the same machines to make people think all that stuff comes with the computer's price. They usually don't realize how much money they could have saved opting for an Ubuntu PC.

When he says Windows 7 is no better than Vista, he's mostly right. The only differences in 7 are less memory leaks (so about half the minimum requirement, still sucks up plenty of RAM), a new taskbar (dockbarX for Windows), a few more drivers (not many, as I can tell you from personal experience), and lowered default security options. And automatic window resizing, ISO and UPnP support built-in, etc. All small and largely insignificant changes that should've been there in the first place, and you can get much more out of a default Ubuntu installation.

So Windows 7 is better than Vista, but not by any significant amount, I think is what he meant to say. If they came out with something worse than Vista, I would have laughed harder than I already was when it came out.

This, and its still basically the same `multi user' OS based on the architecture of a single user OS, leaving it fundamentally flawed.