dragos240
December 2nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Looks funny! Downloading :)

kellemes
December 2nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
Funny stuff..

endBc
December 2nd, 2009, 08:37 PM
I usually don't like these things ( manga, comics, etc. ) but this is a good one - thank you for sharing :)

dragos240
December 2nd, 2009, 08:40 PM
Almost as random as Lucky star! Lulz. I like it.  ̄ω ̄

Bachstelze
December 2nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
Almost as random as Lucky star!

Pretty much sums it up.

dragos240
December 2nd, 2009, 08:49 PM
And this sums up what lucky star is about:

THE BEST PROMO AD EVAR. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sU5rwQ3WXE)

Keyper7
December 2nd, 2009, 09:26 PM
WHAT AN EXAGGERATED AND OVER-DRAMATIC VERSION OF...

...things that actually happen. Huh.

Not bad. Not bad at all. I think people can really learn from this.

DoctorMO
December 2nd, 2009, 10:36 PM
Glad you guys like it!

murderslastcrow
December 2nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
Lol, chibi pplz being fanatic about Linux FOR US. Perfect. Sure beats "launch party ideas" as far as advertising goes. XD Maybe Microsoft should come out with a manga.

NoaHall
December 2nd, 2009, 10:44 PM
Someone tell me what it's about?

Keyper7
December 2nd, 2009, 11:23 PM
Someone tell me what it's about?

I've read very quickly, but it's basically a comedy manga about three students learning about Ubuntu. One of them is a typical "Linux is hard" Windows experienced user, the other is a typical "we shouldn't copy Windows, GUI is for sissies" hardcore CLI Unix admin and the third is more or less neutral (but leans slightly to the Ubuntu fanboy side).

The stories are focused on issues that the average Ubuntu newbie faces. As it's typical in romantic comedy mangas, it's a little bit silly and over-dramatic at times, but at the same time cute and funny in its own way. The more important is that the issues are real, and the lessons useful. The third chapter focuses on how to post a useful help request on the forums.

JDShu
December 2nd, 2009, 11:49 PM
Awesome, this must have JUST come out, since I was on the guy's site just a few days ago.

dragos240
December 3rd, 2009, 12:22 AM
Glad you guys like it!

Long time no hear DoctorMO! :popcorn:

NoaHall
December 3rd, 2009, 12:24 AM
I read it, didn't really quite get it - but it was okay.

dragos240
December 3rd, 2009, 12:25 AM
I read it, didn't really quite get it - but it was okay.

It's basically a story of a girl with a fear of internet forums. So random :3

this is new york not l.a.
December 3rd, 2009, 12:37 AM
Oh man. This is so cheesy yet cute at the same time =3

dragos240
December 3rd, 2009, 12:39 AM
It reflects what happens here, or to be more precise, what happens on the japan ubuntu forums.

Keyper7
December 3rd, 2009, 01:30 AM
It's basically a story of a girl with a fear of internet forums. So random :3

Random? The girl does not like forums because she got RTFM'ed in the past.

Can't get much more "real life" than that. Specially in the Linux community.

It reflects what happens here, or to be more precise, what happens on the japan ubuntu forums.

I don't think there's anything specific to the Japanese forums.

The draft in page 6 is such an accurate portrayal, I laughed out loud.

dragos240
December 3rd, 2009, 01:33 AM
Random? The girl does not like forums because she got RTFM'ed in the past.

Can't get much more "real life" than that. Specially in the Linux community.

I don't think there's anything specific to the Japanese forums.

The draft in page 6 is such an accurate portrayal, I laughed out loud.

Well. It specifically points to the japanese ubuntu forum. You can see it in the manga.

CharlesA
December 3rd, 2009, 01:48 AM
Nice manga.

Keyper7
December 3rd, 2009, 01:55 AM
Well. It specifically points to the japanese ubuntu forum. You can see it in the manga.

Because the characters are japanese. But the situations are very generic.

Saying it "reflects what happens in the japanese forums" makes the storyline look more restricted than it actually is.

kilosan
December 3rd, 2009, 02:09 AM
and of course like any manga or anime, a lesson is always attached to it.

be nice to newbie.

Keyper7
December 3rd, 2009, 02:20 AM

be nice to newbie.

...and be a nice newbie.

wojox
December 3rd, 2009, 02:27 AM
" youtube is a waste of processing power..." I love it.

Rainstride
December 3rd, 2009, 05:04 AM
Saying it "reflects what happens in the japanese forums" makes the storyline look more restricted than it actually is.
see attached pic.;)

be nice to newbie.
+1, I can't stand when I read the generic "use google" and "RTFM" type posts on other sites when a brand new member is asking something that would take two seconds to answer.

...and be a nice newbie.
+2 ;)

" youtube is a waste of processing power..." I love it.
iv known one or two people like that :D.

Metallion
December 3rd, 2009, 05:17 AM
Could I get it as a cbr or zip with images somewhere? I prefer to use Comix to read my manga and it doesn't work with pdf.

Perfect Storm
December 3rd, 2009, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the link.

Me like.

Rainstride
December 3rd, 2009, 06:15 AM
Could I get it as a cbr or zip with images somewhere? I prefer to use Comix to read my manga and it doesn't work with pdf.

hmm... umm yeah, I can do that but it will take a day or two. it would be simple as can be, but to make it easier to add in the different translations, the pdf text is added by typing it into stylized text areas. so if I save them as a picture they are the manga with no writing.

so yeah, if you still want them, im working on some of my art anyway, i can throw them together for you.

DoctorMO
December 3rd, 2009, 06:27 AM

The source files are here:

http://divajutta.com/doctormo/ubunchu/ubunchu-03.tar.bz2

The best thing to do is not to modify the PDFs, it's to modify the svg files when your doing translations.

Now we convert everything to pdf by using inkscape to output everything and you'll see a script called 'make-book.sh' this could technically be modified to output cbz or some other image format via the png output of inkscape too.

openuniverse
December 3rd, 2009, 06:42 AM

Metallion
December 3rd, 2009, 07:41 AM
The source files are here:

http://divajutta.com/doctormo/ubunchu/ubunchu-03.tar.bz2

The best thing to do is not to modify the PDFs, it's to modify the svg files when your doing translations.

Now we convert everything to pdf by using inkscape to output everything and you'll see a script called 'make-book.sh' this could technically be modified to output cbz or some other image format via the png output of inkscape too.

Thanks, I fiddled a bit and have what I wanted now. I tried to attach the cbz versions to this post for anyone who wanted them but apparently the forums don't allow attachments over 1 MB.

Could I have a link to the sources of chapters one and two as well so I can run them through the same process?

Edit: Never mind. I found them myself. Thanks for the help ^_^

Kdar
December 3rd, 2009, 08:07 AM
Nice!!
Enjoyed reading it lol

ElSlunko
December 3rd, 2009, 08:10 AM
I can't believe I read it! I'm sure it was my interest in Ubuntu that got me through it ;P (I don't read magna)

Kdar
December 3rd, 2009, 08:11 AM
I can't believe I read it! I'm sure it was my interest in Ubuntu that got me through it ;P (I don't read magna)

haha yes. I know.. It was like the first manga that I got to read.. (at least in last 10-15 years).

But heck, it is about Ubuntu!!

Kdar
December 3rd, 2009, 08:12 AM

haha yes. I know.. It was like the first manga that I got to read.. (at least in last 10-15 years).

But heck, it is about Ubuntu!!

PS. They have it in some many other languages translated as well (Chapters 1, 2).

Metallion
December 3rd, 2009, 08:34 AM
Just finished reading them all after forcing them to make friends with Comix. :) Absolutely love it! A perfect way to combine different types of geekdom into one and how fitting that they're open source.

Anyway I'll be looking forward to the next one. Now I'm off to Akihabara :)

Keyper7
December 3rd, 2009, 08:42 AM
see attached pic.;)

I KNOW the story happens in the japanese forums, what I'm saying is that it does not reflect ONLY what happens in the japanese forums, as none of the situations were specific to it. dragos240's comment didn't make more sense than "the manga reflects what happens to Ubuntu users, specifically Ubuntu users with long black hair".

Khakilang
December 3rd, 2009, 09:01 AM
I think my daughter will love it and maybe she will learn about Linux.

Kdar
December 3rd, 2009, 09:12 AM
oh no. I got some "ls" gnomes in my Ubuntu!!! :p

Rainstride
December 3rd, 2009, 09:50 AM
I KNOW the story happens in the japanese forums, what I'm saying is that it does not reflect ONLY what happens in the japanese forums, as none of the situations were specific to it. dragos240's comment didn't make more sense than "the manga reflects what happens to Ubuntu users, specifically Ubuntu users with long black hair".

It is very hard to follow what it is your trying to say exactly. you seem to be contradicting your self back a forth in the same post. Is English a second language for you? (not trying to be mean or anything.)

also, anyone else find this window from the manga awesome for no reason other than the way it looks.(attached pic.)

Rainstride
December 3rd, 2009, 09:54 AM
oh no. I got some "ls" gnomes in my Ubuntu!!! :p

see attached pic:D (as I have no clue what you are talking about.)

Kdar
December 3rd, 2009, 10:01 AM
see attached pic:D (as I have no clue what you are talking about.)

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/670/screenshotp.png

Keyper7
December 3rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
It is very hard to follow what it is your trying to say exactly.

The key word here is "reflect". When dragos said "reflects what happens in the Ubuntu forums", I assume he meant "mirrors the reality of Ubuntu forums". However, I corrected the addendum "specifically, the japanese forums" because the situations described in the storyline are not specific to the japanese forums: they can happen in all languages and all countries. The manga only shows the japanese forums because the characters happen to be japanese.

So, in short:

what the manga literally shows < what the manga generically reflects

(to be more accurate, it should be "is a subset of" instead of "less than", but I don't think unicode has a subset char)

Here's a very easy way to explain: consider the PC x Mac ads.

http://www.ondisruption.com/photos/uncategorized/mac_pc.png

Which one makes more sense?

a) "The left guy is a parody of PC users."

b) "The left guy is a parody of PC users. Specifically, the ones that wear purple ties."

Yes, the guy in the left happens to be wearing a purple tie. But that's not a restriction of the parody. It's irrelevant. As is the fact that the manga story happens in the japanese forums.

Technoviking
December 3rd, 2009, 06:03 PM
Tetsuo!!! I mean Forums!!!

T-V

Kdar
December 3rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
Yes, I agree with you Keyper7.
And anyway.. why "Japanese Forum" is such a big deal in that Manga? After all this Manga was first written in Japanese, THEN translated to English or any other language.

Plus I am sure, on Japanese Forum, you have pretty much the same things that we have here, just in different language. (People seek or give support on different questions about using Ubuntu and other linux related topics). This is the reason for all those forums anyways, right?

Mr. Picklesworth
December 3rd, 2009, 08:55 PM
Hah... all this talk about Ubunchu lately got me to finally check the thing out. Kinda nicely done, actually. As someone who has absolutely no interest whatsoever in Manga stuff, I'm impressed. It's cute, entertaining, and rather honest :)

Kdar
December 3rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
I am thinking about helping with translation to Russian. I am not sure if there is already some group doing it or not.
Vacation coming up anyways.

t0p
December 3rd, 2009, 09:25 PM

"Like any manga or anime"???

So what about this anime I watched about 10 years ago... called something like "Legend of the Overfiend"... there's this woman school teacher who's actually an alien, who rapes schoolgirls with "her" tentacle/sexual-appendages. What's the lesson attached to that?

(Other than: "Don't trust aliens who disguise themselves as school teachers and rape schoolgirls with their tentacle/sexual-appendages".)

Kdar
December 3rd, 2009, 10:21 PM

So what about this anime I watched about 10 years ago... called something like "Legend of the Overfiend"... there's this woman school teacher who's actually an alien, who rapes schoolgirls with "her" tentacle/sexual-appendages. What's the lesson attached to that?

(Other than: "Don't trust aliens who disguise themselves as school teachers and rape schoolgirls with their tentacle/sexual-appendages".)

well, there are sure different type of manga. Just like there are different type of movies (just like pr0n or horrors are not always very educational).

And in Japan there are manga for different age groups (young, adutls.. etc). Its not something that just little boys and girls read.

eragon100
December 3rd, 2009, 10:36 PM
Just finished reading them all after forcing them to make friends with Comix. :) Absolutely love it! A perfect way to combine different types of geekdom into one and how fitting that they're open source.

Anyway I'll be looking forward to the next one. Now I'm off to Akihabara :)

Have fun there!

But, are you already living in Japan? Your profile says Turnhout, Belgium :wink:

ticopelp
December 3rd, 2009, 11:24 PM
"ubunchu is not ready for primetime!!!"

I laughed at that. This is a great idea. Canonical should print and bind these and sell them as learning aids. :D

Keyper7
December 3rd, 2009, 11:32 PM

Well, you definitely shouldn't trust them. Sounds like a reasonable lesson to me. Why do you need another one?

Rainstride
December 3rd, 2009, 11:41 PM
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/670/screenshotp.png
oh, lol. I forgot all about that :D.

The key word here is "reflect". When dragos said "reflects what happens in the Ubuntu forums", I assume he meant "mirrors the reality of Ubuntu forums". However, I corrected the addendum "specifically, the japanese forums" because the situations described in the storyline are not specific to the japanese forums: they can happen in all languages and all countries. The manga only shows the japanese forums because the characters happen to be japanese.
ok, I get what you mean now. thanks for rephrasing. I wasn't quite following before :).

"ubunchu is not ready for primetime!!!"

I laughed at that. This is a great idea. Canonical should print and bind these and sell them as learning aids. :D
we need like 10 more issues for that I think :D.

Metallion
December 4th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Have fun there!

But, are you already living in Japan? Your profile says Turnhout, Belgium :wink:

Thing is I'm quite the traveler. The last years I've lived in Sweden and Spain for about a year each and I often stayed in Japan for a few months as I'm doing now. Some time around March I'll be moving here indefinitely though.

Rather than changing my location every time I just leave it as my hometown. :)

eragon100
December 4th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Thing is I'm quite the traveler. The last years I've lived in Sweden and Spain for about a year each and I often stayed in Japan for a few months as I'm doing now. Some time around March I'll be moving here indefinitely though.

Rather than changing my location every time I just leave it as my hometown. :)

That's cool! So, how many languages do you speak, then? Swedish, Spanish, English, Japanese and native Dutch? (Like me, offcourse, unfortunately being Dutch).

What are going to do in Japan, anyway? Language teaching? IT work?
Did you study Japanese language and culture at university like I am going to do starting next year, or did you do a different study?

Anyway, have fun in Japan man :popcorn:

llcawthorne
December 7th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I don't really use Ubuntu much anymore, but I definitely like Ubunchu. I'm going to be chuckled to myself about that gnome thing everytime I type something in a terminal.

I appreciate that the manga addressed the power of the CLI before going on to talk about forums, which I admittedly don't feel all that comfortable in myself.