December 2nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
Could someone pass along the original xorg.conf file
which can be found in: etc/x11/xorg.conf. Screwed up the 3d settings
and now my only option is to login through a shell. But if someone passes
me the file then i can log onto windows vista and replace the file on my
linux ext4 partition.

coffeecat
December 2nd, 2009, 06:56 PM
It's even easier in Karmic, 9.10. There is no xorg.conf file by default. Simply rename your xorg.conf to xorg.conf.backup and reboot. Then the system will use whatever open source graphics driver is appropriate and you can start over.

Goldline
December 2nd, 2009, 06:57 PM
Okay right but im total noob how can i rename that specific file through the console.

coffeecat
December 2nd, 2009, 07:03 PM
My apologies. I forgot this was the beginners forum.

Login to the shell and then:

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backupYou'll be prompted for your password. It doesn't appear to be going in when you type it, but it is, and the command will be done when you press ENTER.

Renaming the file is better than deleting it, because you can still view it if you want to try again with different options.

By the way - you would have had difficulty reading an ext4 partition from Vista. :wink:

Edit: take care with your capitals and lower-case - Linux is case-sensitive, unlike Windows. It's /etc/X11/xorg.conf

QIII
December 2nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
By the way - you would have had difficulty reading an ext4 partition from Vista. :wink:

Without some work before hand (it can be done, apparently), Vista would wet its pants and run away in terror...