PDA

View Full Version : No Black screen of Death

bvpainter
December 2nd, 2009, 04:32 PM
Just picked up this quote from Huffingtons. At least we do not have this problem.:p

"Microsoft's been looking into the black screen of death reports that have popped up in wake of a recent Windows update, and is back with its findings: the darkened screens giving Windows users so much trouble? It's likely down to pesky malware, not Windows itself."

PariahVayne
December 2nd, 2009, 04:56 PM
x

Grenage
December 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
Or using an intel gfx in 9.10, you take your chances then. I don't think the linux fans can really talk when it comes to consistent desktop performance.

Zoot7
December 2nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
Unless you're an ATI Linux user, and then you may get the infamous white screen of death.
Oh... I've gotten more than my fair share of those.

I don't think the linux fans can really talk when it comes to consistent desktop performance.
Agreed. Video ain't the best thing at times when it comes to Linux in general.
For instance about a week ago a kernel patch with Karmic broke my Nvidia driver, and the only fix was to re-install the driver.

cariboo
December 2nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
I use Nvidia graphics cards, and I've managed to create a situation where I've seen the black screen of death. It only took a couple of minutes to solve the problem though.

ugm6hr
December 2nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
Even the BBC have picked this up...

Apparently nothing to do with W7 per se.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8388253.stm

Cammy
December 2nd, 2009, 09:17 PM
I think Mac is to blame! I mean they'll need new material for those "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" ads.

gatorbrit
December 3rd, 2009, 05:21 AM
My new win7 install on my home pc has periodic Black screens of death, but they only last for a few seconds. According to MSFT, there could be many reasons for them. I don't buy the malware story. More of the same from MSFT i guess.

running_rabbit07
December 3rd, 2009, 07:23 AM
I use Nvidia graphics cards, and I've managed to create a situation where I've seen the black screen of death. It only took a couple of minutes to solve the problem though.

Same here. I was running Hardy 64 and when I installed FF3.5 via the Psychocat method, it gave me the black screen of death. I reinstalled Hardy 2 more times and did the same thing and had the same results. I had a thread for it but nobody ever posted a fix there. I tried again a few weeks later and I guess there had been a kernel update or something because the FF upgrade went smooth. I think I read where it had something to do with xulrunner.