PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live USB Install - Could not find kernel image: linux error

Subbu_09
December 2nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Hi All,

I am new to Linux and after few hiccups initially, was able to successfully boot Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala with a working LIVE cd. Infact, I also received the LIVE cd from Ubuntu yesterday. Now, I run into a problem when I try to create a LIVE USB drive.

I tried with Unetbootin and the Program in Pendrivelinux in my Windows XP and also
I tried the USB disk creator from the ADMINISTRATION link while running the Live CD.
I get the same following error, when I make my BIOS to boot from the USB.

The error (Could not find kernel image: linux error) it seems, is very notorious one - as there are a lot of entries available in the internet for different versions of Linux. So, it will not be a surprise for many. But, what is surprising for me is, I am yet to find a single, comprehensive fix that will solve this issue, if not for all who reported it, but at least, it could have been Linux version specific. But, to my surprise, I should say there is NONE as of today.

Though, there are some solutions suggested, including the one given in PendriveLinux
themselves, it is not very user friendly OR easy to understand for a Non-Linux users.

Can some one give a step-by-step guide or instruction set to resolve this issue?
That would be great.

FYI - I use a 4 GB USB drive - Transcend FlashJet drive - and formatted it in FAT32.
I also used the HP USB Disk format tool as suggested in some forums before starting
my installtion in all the above methods I have suggested. The only known method that
I am yet to try is using the PendriveLinux's application to run from Ubuntu. But, I am sure that will also fail. because, there are no issues in my system when I boot with the LIVE CD. The boot error comes only when I use the USB disk.

I am hoping this thread would give answers to me as well as many users who have
the same issue and have reported it at different forums, but yet to find a easy to follow step by step instruction set - especially for Non-Linux users........

Thanks to all those tech-savvy guys, who can jump onto this and provide a quick
and lasting solution.....

Cheers,
Regards,
Subbu.

I have also seen suggestions like one should use only USB drives upto 2GB disk space
(why is it so and what is the need for such a restriction?) and use only FAT16 formatting (instead of FAT32). But, I have not seen one common solution - as this error seems to be common and basic problem across all linux distros - that every one
can follow, of course with few changes if there need to be some, based on the distros.

Subbu_09
December 3rd, 2009, 04:33 AM
Hi,

I expected some one will provide guidance to resolve this issue. Please provide your
inputs to fix the issue... It is making me go crazy as the fixes I found in some forums is not very clear and bit confusing.

Thanks,
Subbu.